1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe and palplus

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by magnatom, Apr 25, 2002.

1. magnatom

magnatom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I was watching ER on Channel 4 last night (well the wife was!) and each time the program would come on after the adverts my Loewe would inform me that it was changing to Palplus format.

Does anyone know what the format is, and is it just the Loewe that has it?

Cheers

Dave B

2. simbloke

simbloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I believe that C4 is the only broadcaster in the UK to use PalPlus.

4. simbloke

simbloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    here in Wales I get it on HTV but not S4C - no C4 here :-(

5. magnatom

magnatom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys. I must admit I was more impressed with the picture during ER on my set. I got more of the three dimensional look that I always seem to get with my DVDs. I assume this is due to the filtering and the extended resolution.

It is nice to find you have a feature that you didn't know anything about! (Except when it is the scrolling bars feature on the Sonys! ;))

Cheers

Dave Brennan

6. Stanley_Cooper

Stanley_Cooper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    magnatom,

What Loewe Tv have you got??

I'm getting a Loewe Xelos Tv in a few weeks time and wonder if it has this feature.

Stan..:cool:

7. magnatom

magnatom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stanley,

I have the Loewe vitros, however, if the chassis is the same (i.e. 2400 chassis) then you should get this feature too :).

Cheers

8. Stanley_Cooper

Stanley_Cooper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm actually waiting for the Xelos with 2500 chassis. I could of got the tv with the old chassis, but thought hey what the hell i'll wait for a month for the new one. Same price though as the old chassis, but with new functions.

Stan..;)

9. Badger

Badger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wondered if someone else had seen this...

I've got an Aconda (Q2400 Chassis Software V1.2) and have Telewest Digital Cable - on the Channel 4 Channels (Film 4, E4 and Channel 4) whenever the picture was W/Screen (16:9) my set switched into PALPlus.

The aspect settings were (automatically) set to zoom in as much as possible (ie no anamorphic 16:9 stretch) and looked OK at that. The problem was that every other line seemed to be a copy of the one above, which meant the picture was awful. I resolved the situation by going into the cable box setup and reselecting the 16:9 mode - everything now comes out as it shoudl do (anamorphic no PALPlus)

Now my questions are

1. PALPlus looked awful, would a s/ware upgrade help - or is telewest/my cable box mangling the signal
    2. The line doubling problem hints some degree of progressive input (possibly clutching at straws here)

Phil

10. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We got some programs PAL Plus here in Portugal, I think all Loewes accept it, and the other makes too, as far as I know...

11. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,010
    I recorded a program off Channel 4 and the TV and I think came up PalPlus when I viewed it.

12. Sly Fox

Sly Fox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony 16:9 PALplus tv (KV-28FD1E). There are a few German channels that broadcast PALplus Films. I've recorded one on tape and it was replayed in PALplus format. I guess all information needed to replay in PALplus was recorded too.

PALplus format uses 430 lines on non PALplus tv's. If you look very closely at the black bars on top and bottom (144 lines total) of picture you will notice colored, stagered lines. That tells you that there is hidden information in those black bars. If you have a PAlplus tv that information builds up a picture of treu 576 lines.

Who ever has seen a film in PALplus format will simply be amazed of the quality.

http://tvfreaks.virtualave.net/palplustvfaq.html

Just my two penny's

13. rbooth

rbooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is actually a bug in the Loewe software on this set. The aspect ratio for PALplus should actually be cine.

cheers

Rob