Loewe Aconda / Toshiba 900E

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by mrmc74, Jul 27, 2002.

1. mrmc74

mrmc74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry to flog a dead horse after the many threads about progressive scan, but ...

Which connection will bring the best picture quality between these two devices?

Is the VGA upgrade worthwhile? Am I right in thinking that true NTSC progressive is only capable in 4:3?

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wouldn't bother with the VGA route if I were you - you'll need an additional transcoder to make the signal from the 900E in to RGB HV via VGA. I did some testing last night with my Laptop for HTPC purposes. Using software for 3:2 pulldown etc., DVD playback through the Aconda's VGA was very nice indeed with no artifacts of any kind. This has been confirmed by other people who have done extensive testing on the Loewe VGA.

The problem lies in the Geometry controls. When the Aconda is in VGA mode, there is no control over correct aspect ratio switching so you have to manually stretch the V-Size controls but even then you cannot get the correct ratio.

By all means go for the 900E as it's a great player even via interlaced Component. :)

3. mrmc74

mrmc74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Groundy,

Just the info I was after.