Loewe Aconda set up and upgrade options advice please.

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by louisg, Mar 19, 2006.

1. louisg

louisg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Thinking of buying a VGA upgrade kit with IR-Link for my aconda, has anyone got one fitted and have a opinion on it?

I currently connect my pc to aconda via scart. watching movies/files are ok.
    Desktop looks rubbish though and can only just see text.

i also found these picture settings a great help, below
    The factory picture settings are set too high so they need adjustment before viewing. Mine are: contrast 38, colour 35, brightness 23 and sharpness 2. This will give a well balanced picture and prevent premature screen burn.

I have heard this television can HDTV, is this true? There are no hdmi imputs or component which is a shame.

how do people set there acondas up.

AV1 - DVD Player
    AV2 - Video or console
    AV3 - PC

would anyone advise differently, also settings i input never seem to save am i doing something wrong.

Louis

Loewe Aconda 32" 9381 ZW
    chassis - Q2400
    software - v3.2

2. louisg

louisg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    bump

3. Lester

Lester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Once you've made adjustments you need to go Menu > Standard Settings > Store as personal settings.

This TV will not display an HD picture (other than as SD). However it will accept a component signal via AV3, but unfortunately not progressive scan.

If your DVD player has RGB then it makes sense to utilize this and connect it to AV2 or AV3. A video (composite or SVHS) only needs to feed AV1. Obviously, if you do change your kit around then you need to go into the Connections menu and tell the TV which signals to process.

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,067
    I've heard quite good reports from one or two people who have installed the VGA input on a Loewe TV. Officially it can only synch with a VGA signal at 640x480 (progressive), but unofficially it will also synch at 852x480 (60Hz) and 1024x576 (50Hz) - what you need for anamorphic DVDs (NTSC and PAL respectively).

It's a bit tricky to get working, though - you'll need to download Powerstrip and play with the timings. It isn't feasible to use anything other than a PC (or possibly certain video-processors) as a source - a DVD player won't synch, even with a component to VGA converter. The timings have to be very precise.

You can't get anywhere near high-definition resolutions. 720p is 1280x720, 1080i is 1920x1080. If you were to use an external scaler to downscale 50Hz 720p to 1024x576 it would look noticeably better than SD, but if you can afford an external scaler then you can afford a genuine HDTV. And downscaling the signal could be tricky anyway because of HDCP issues.

PAL DVDs do apparently look very good indeed at 1024x576 on Loewe TVs. And this is, in fact, the only way to get a progressive scan display on a Loewe TV. (It will actually accept component via SCART, but not a progressive scan signal, sadly).

The downsides (apart from the general fiddle) are that there is no aspect ratio switching, which may be a problem for 4:3 material, and also that there is very perceptible screen flicker, because the display is refreshing at 50Hz rather than the usual 100Hz. I doubt it would be usable as a computer monitor because of the flicker.

You may also have some problems getting the input card fitted. The kit costs about £75, but having it installed may cost you another £200. If you're brave enough to do it yourself, I guess you'll be okay. (I believe it comes with fitting instructions and isn't too difficult, but I may be wrong).

5. lhscontrol

lhscontrol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Louisg, I have the VGA option, but is is no good with modern computers with their XGA resolutions. You have to lower the resolution on the computer to VGA and some do not allow this.