1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe Aconda price match

Discussion in 'TVs' started by KingKitega, Jan 23, 2002.

1. KingKitega

KingKitega

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've been reading the threads on Tosh's, Sony's and finally Loewe before deciding to take the plunge (and let me tell you it's a very big plunge) on the Aconda 9381 from empiredirect.co.uk.

Is this TV available cheaper and in stock anywhere else? I would like to price-match it if possible.

Thanks in advance

2. Badger

Badger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It looks like i'm in the same boat as you - I was going to get the 5381 Xelos, but these cheap(ish) Acondas have convinced me, and i've convinced the wife :)

Robert Whyte and the AVstore have them for about 1300 +45 delivery

What I was thinking about doing was to try to get JL to price match it (RW have a shop) - just so i'm not buying online - as ED,RW and AVS seem to have a bad rep round here

Let me know how you get on

Phil

3. KingKitega

KingKitega

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Badger,

I called up RW and AVShop before, but it looks like the internet price they quote is not the correct one. Also, they don't have it in stock so ED can't price match them. Damn!

4. Badger

Badger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So what prices do they have for the Aconda then ?

Was it out of stock in all colours (higloss black's the one i'm after)

Phil

5. KingKitega

KingKitega

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RW was quoting around £1580, which is better than ED (£1630), but you have to wait 3-4 weeks to get it.

Just called AVShop again, and now they are saying their internet price is correct (£1300)?! Very confusing indeed. I think I'm going to get it from them instead. Delivery is 7-10 days

6. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    AVShopDirect and RW trade from the same shop in Glasgow. I asked in RW for the aconda price and was quoted £1490 for the basic model. The assistant said the £1300 price on the website was a mistake.

How can AVD say 7-10 days and RW 3-4 weeks when it's the same bleeding shop?

7. KingKitega

KingKitega

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think AVShop are getting a 'wee' ****ed off now... 5 calls in an hour, & someone from ED called one of their salesman a 'wa**er' for good measure. They really need to sort themselves out.. Maybe a PC would be a start..

I can confirm that their web price is not correct. It's in fact £1586.

8. Badger

Badger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    so the upshot is that a cheap Aconda is not on the cards :(

Ah well, back to the drawing board

Phil

9. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi.
    I got my aconda from Sound and Vision,could be worth a call.
    But there are horror stories about the after sales service.
    Loewe will deal with you direct to sort out problems etc so the dealer should not matter that much.
    Gary

10. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the 9281 which is exactly the same as the 9381 with a different finish. The all silver model cost me £1,450 from ED.

Alternatively if you like the design of the Vitros, this costs even less and is the same TV inside.

11. BigJoe

BigJoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like there are a lot of us in this boat! I too want an Aconda, but am finding the price is a bit of a stretch. I just called TV&Video Direct in Bolton (as Gary Lloyd suggested). They don't have any stock, but their prices are (cheap) as follows:

9281 - £1425
    9381 - £1580

They say 2-3 days lead time which would be pretty impressive. I'm wondering if it's worth the gamble of buying mail/online order or just biting the bullet and going to the high street?

What to do...what to do....

12. sanjiv

sanjiv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I was in this boat.. I bought the 9281 in silver from TV & Video Direct about a month ago for £1420. I actually drove up there from St Albans and was very happy with the service I got.

One of my main concerns was price too but they were the only ones who could give me a buy now pay in 6 months deal - 20% deposit and interest free.

I was out for a 9381 to begin with, but preferred the all-silver finish of the 9281 in the end. I also didn't buy the glass rack, it was the sexy tv I was after...

- sanj

13. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I don't think they are exactly the same although very similar. When I was looking at Loewes in the shop the assistance said the 9381ZW has fully digitalised signal processing wheras the 9281ZW does not. I also think another post on the forum mentioned this.

14. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    If you check on the Loewe.de specs - I did this a while back - you'll see that Gerry is correct. But websites do make errors so I'd suggest you lot ask Gordon on here as he has first hand experience and is good enough to impart his wisdom. I'm ater checking out the 40" Aconda when I can find a store with one that's not too far away. Many places are saying they probably won't stock it and get into plasma sales mode. Ho hum.

15. matt_joel

matt_joel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought an Aconda 9381 from JL and they price matched it from RW in Glasgow for £1631 including delivery. This way you get great after sales service, (I'm replacing a SONY KV32 FQ75 also bought from JL cos it was crap!) and a 5 yr guarantee!

As for the differing models, the 9281's are no way near the spec of the 9318 or the 9581. Yes the finshes are different, not metallic and the tubes are different. I spoke to a guy from Sevenoaks he told me that the 9281 uses a Tosh tube whereas the 9381 uses a Philips tube...far superior. The internall workings are also different with greater processing for a better picture.

If I were you I would for at least the 9381, reviews of the lesser Loewes have not been great - Home Entertainment Mag Jan 2002 for one and What Hi FI in the past but they all rate the 9381.

Hope this helps you in your dilemas.

Matt