loewe aconda marks on the screen

matmum

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi

i have had my aconda for about a year - and i noticed recently that it has herringbone marks on the left and right side of the screen (i thought it might be a scanning problem in 16:9). it has been looked at by the repair company - but they cant find anything wrong with it. i just wondered if somehow there could be some inteference by something in my room causing it. all the speakers i own are magnetically shielded - so i dont think it is that.

i have tried using the dvd player while unplugging the aerial - but the marks are still apparent (note the marks appear more clearly on a beige or dull background).

i do have however have the tv on a glass shelving with a power amp, main amp, dvd player etc underneath the unit - could there be something from that causing.

does anyone have any ideas what might be causing the marks - and are there any tests i could try.

thnx

thanx for the post - looks like quite a few loewe tvs suffer the same moire problems that my tv suffers from. now that i know what the trouble is - i am not sure what to do to correct it - i am not sure there is even a cure.

one thread said that it improves the picture if the s-correction is reduced from 11 to 3 and the v-amp from 21 to 17 - but i am not sure if this is the answer as he also said that it alters the geometry of the picture ( which i am not keen to do at all).

so i just wondered if anyone else has tried this (is it better to do the alteration or live the moire on ntsc discs) - or are there any alternatives.

thanx

Originally posted by matmum

one thread said that it improves the picture if the s-correction is reduced from 11 to 3 and the v-amp from 21 to 17 - but i am not sure if this is the answer as he also said that it alters the geometry of the picture ( which i am not keen to do at all).

This is the only thing you can do about it I'm afraid. How much of a cure/compromise depends on how much time you are willing to spend on getting it right. Those values quoted above are not set in stone and will differ on every single Loewe set - they were simply the values I used on my set. The picture geometry does get altered but ever so slightly and it is barely even visible on an Crosshatch test pattern. In my opion, the fix is well woth trying. You can reset the values to the way they were if you don't like it - just make sure you write down the original values first.

so i just wondered if anyone else has tried this (is it better to do the alteration or live the moire on ntsc discs) - or are there any alternatives.

A few people have done it with different degrees of success. On my own set, the Moire is gone from anything over 6ft away :). There are no alternatives.

Instructions for entering the service menu are contained in the thread I linked to. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, call out an engineer.

hi - thanx for your posts - it seemed that just reducing the s-correction helped a great deal (changed from 11 to 4) - there are still some small marks but they are not half as noticeable as the previous ones.

i just wondered tho that as i adjusted the s-correction, will i need to adjust the v-amp (because when i tried it, it didnt have a good effect).

also will my alterations only affect the image when watching ntsc dvds - or pal as well.

thanx for your help :smashin:

Originally posted by matmum

i just wondered tho that as i adjusted the s-correction, will i need to adjust the v-amp (because when i tried it, it didnt have a good effect).

You don't have to adjust V Amp. S Correction will be enough on some sets :).

also will my alterations only affect the image when watching ntsc dvds - or pal as well.

Geometry adjustments the Service Menu are stored independently for NTSC & PAL so any adjustments you make when viewing an NTSC DVD, will affect NTSC only.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom