1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe Aconda is dead.Advice needed.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by garylloyd, Sep 26, 2005.

1. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Guys,
    My Aconda died yesterday,it made a loud twang,then shut down.
    It now does nothing,if you try to turn it on it makes a brrrzzzzzz noise,then turns its self off.
    I guess its the tube.Is it worth getting it repaired?I will phone around today and get a quote.
    If anyone has any thoughts please post away.
    On the other hand is this a good excuse to buy a 42" hi-def plasma.As anyone changed from a Loewe Crt to plasma are they happy?
    Thanks
    Gary

2. shyewei

shyewei

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Hi Gary!

Problem is with the transformer not the tube. I have had a similar problem, but fortunately mine came with a 5 year guarantee so I don't know how much it would be.

I moved from a Aconda to a 37" Panasonic Viera. You are lucky prices have come down so much, I changed in Dec '04 when it was £2k . The pansonic is one of the better plasmas, but if you are a PQ fiend you will notice the Loewe is still better, the colours are better, there are no artefacts. However whilst the difference is noticeable, the pleasure you get from watching a movie on a large screen is brilliant also if you watch HD that will blow you away.

In short I don't regret it, but the Loewe is still a lovely TV.

Hope this helps,
    Shye

3. Napoleon

Napoleon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had exactly the same problem with my Arcada;it was the transformer which cost £125 in total to replace.The engineer said it was the Loewe weakspot and he had replaced quite a lot.

PS:The engineer said NOT to turn it on,as you risk damage to other components.

4. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Guys,
    After a few phone calls I got to speak to my local service engineer.He verified what you have both said.He his calling around on tomorrow to fix it,£120 all in.This is a huge relief,I did not need the hassle or out lay of getting a new set.
    Shyewei I am a PQ fiend,have you seen that latest Loewe plasma sets they look stunning.Just a bit expensive.
    Thanks alot fellas
    Gary