1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe Aconda/Denon DVD-2900 cabling

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by RumJoe, Sep 2, 2004.

1. RumJoe

RumJoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

I am new to this AV malarky and require some advice from the AV gurus. I have just decided to purchase a Loewe Aconda 9381 HD/DR+ and am going to get a Denon DVD-2900 to accompany it. It took me long enough to decide on these and now i have the cabling issue to contend with. Obviously I want to get some cable that is good enough to compliment the system and ensure that i get the most out of the equipment.

I was looking at a good RGB Component video cable but they dont carry sound do they? I havent got and wont be able to afford for a while any home cinema audio equipment so need the sound to be handled by the tele. Does this mean that i need to use a scart cable as they carry sound. Or is there some other way to use a component video cable and get sound.
    Is it true the the picture quality of a scart cable is nowhere near as good as on the component cable. Also, what is an RGB scart?

Please, please, please put me out of my misery. :suicide:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    RGB is the English equivalent of the American component video. Ours is slightly more complicated as it was designed by a European committee. The quality depends on the manufacturers implementation but normally there is very little in it qualitywise. The Denon player that you are thinking of buying will output progressive scan from Region one discs via component outputs so if you play region 1 discs you would be better sticking with component rather than a scart.

The component video is only for picture so to get sound to your TV you will also need a pair of phono cables from the audio outputs of the DVD player to the audio inputs on your TV.

RGB Scart is a recently invented term that supposedly refers to a scart cable that isn't fully wired and only has sufficient pins connected to allow for RGB picture and nothing else.

3. RumJoe

RumJoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your comments Ian J. With regard to the progressive scan from the DVD player, i was under the impression that it had both Region 1 and region 2 progressive scan. Also, I thought that the Progressive scan needs and HD-compatible TV. I know its might seem like a truly obvious question, but does the Loewe Aconda 9381 HD have a genuinely HD compatible tube?

One last question, if the DVD player turns out to be only region1 prog. scan, does that mean that i cant use a component cable to view region2 discs?!?!?

Again, please forgive my ignorance and thanks in advance.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    Hello all

Ian J - a touch unkind on manufacturers who have taken the time to look at optimising SCART connectivity :) The majority of RGB only SCART cables (well certainly the ones we use/supply) don't simply not solder up the unwanted pins in the 21 way cable - instead they use a 4 core cable with much heavier conductors and screening to ensure optimum connectivity of the RGB video signal.

RumJoe - Loewe TV's are unusual in that some of them (inc. the 9831 HD/DR+) are wired for YUV Component via a SCART connector.

I cant see in the Tech spec if its Interlaced only or Progressive compatible - unless you can find out elsewhere or get a manual you'll have to wait until you hook up your Denon DVD player and try both settings.

If your Denon player has had the relevant software 'hacks' it will offer you both PAL and NTSC Progressive Playback; though in the UK this is not the default 'out the box' set up; your dealer will have to 'hack' it for you.

Component Video cables that terminate in a SCART hood at one end are not the norm - I supply them to order from VanDamme and Supra; and you have to keep in mind that some of the very thick multicore cable often used for YUV Component cables will not fit in a SCART hood.

If you can get more info on the tech specs of the SCART Input on your TV it is possible for us to manufacturer a cable that's wired for YUV + LR Audio as 5 RCA to SCART.

Best regards

Joe