1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe Aconda Chassis Query

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by PeteMan, Jun 29, 2002.

1. PeteMan

PeteMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have finally decided the make and model of TV that I wish to buy, a 9281ZW. However, I have a few final queries:-

1) In the shop they only had an Aconda 9381ZW to demo. According to the Loewe website this is based on chassis Q2500H. The 9281ZW that I want is based on the Q2400 chassis. Please could someone tell me what the differece is. In particular are the quality of the picture and sound different?

2) Whilst I was looking at this set (and also the Vitro 6370ZW next to it) I noticed two vertical black bands, about 2 inches wide, glowing red, on each side of the picture. This was most apparent in 4:3 mode but was still noticable on 16:9 and zoom. The salesman blamed this on the broadcast (BBC2 Rick Stein). Is this a feature of widescreen tellies, Loewe or BBC2?

3) The technical spec on the Loewe website claims that the 9281ZW includes virtual dolby. However, the set in the shop only had options for 'wide' and 'normal'. Is 'wide' the same as 'virtual dolby'?

Many thanks, Pete

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Do a search (button at top of page) for "Loewe Aconda". There have been many relevent threads recently that answer your questions on the differences between the various Loewe models and chassis numbers.

This is not an inherent feature of the Loewe's or any other widescreen TV for that matter. The vertical banding is a common problem that affects poor quality analogue broadcasts. This effect should not be there on digital broadcasts or strong analogue signals.

Wide mode works in a similar way to virtual dolby in spatializing the sound. The effect is not that great - certainly not in the same league as proper Surround. I don't know if the effect is better or worse on the 9281ZW as I can only speak for the 9381ZW. It's usually best to stick with straight NICAM for normal broadcast material and route other sources (DVD etc) through a seperate amp.

3. PeteMan

PeteMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Groundy,
    Thanks for your help. After I posted my query I did a search for Q2400 and found loads of threads discussing this subject. Seems there are some who like Q2400 and some who like Q2500 so I'm not going to be fussy.

4. mkjustuk

mkjustuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Don't make the mistake of comparing the Q2400 and Q2500 of the Aconda with those of the Vitros. On the Q2500 on the Aconda is a better chassis than 2400, while on the Vitros they removed some functionality going from 2400 to 2500.

Also, the 9281 Acondas were (and might still) coming with the (relatively poorer) Toshiba tubes, where as the 9381 definitely come with a Philips tube.

Chances are you won't get much choice on chassis and as you quite rightly say, it isn't worth getting hang up about with regards to the Aconda.

However, the differing tubes on the 9281 and 9381 are fundamental, so you would be wise to try and get a side by side comparison of the 9381 and 9281 - unless the extra for the 9381 already discounts it from the running (or the cosmetics).

5. PeteMan

PeteMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your comments. Will Probe Loewe and find out what tube is being used for 9281ZW.

6. idoc61172

idoc61172

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    People may be interested in this reply I received from Loewe Germany today:

The Aconda Living 9281 is only with the Toshiba tube available. But the Aconda 9381 you can get with the Philips tube. Art. no. would be 61405.

Best regards

Loewe Opta GmbH
    Service Dept.

Michael Hoefner

Iain.

7. PeteMan

PeteMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IDOC,
    Are you looking to buy a 9281? If so, has this altered your decision?
    Regards, Pete

8. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As an owner of a 9281, I can safely say that the picture is fantastic for the money and I have no problem recommending it. Mine definately has the Toshiba tube as it has the little dots either side of the screen.

I have seen a 9281 and 9381 next to one another in John Lewis and on first glance I thought I'd made a mistake as the 9381 clearly looked like it had the superior picture. However, the 9281 looked much worse than my model at home and on further inspection I found it was set up with totally different contrast and brightness levesl to my own. I adjusted the settings to the same levels I have at home (I have a photographic memory for this sort of boring info) and the picture improved dramatically. The 9381 seemed to be set up correctly as I couldn't improve the picture by any great shakes, but I noted that the contrast on the 9381 was much higher than the 9281 and all of the settings were slightly different.

If I remember, the picture was on the 9281 was sharper than the 9381, the blacks were slightly better, although the colours the were not quite as bright. But they both shone and looked much better than any other set in the shop.

Based on my own experience, I wouldn't say the 9381 has a better picture, just slightly different. The 9281 is cheaper, but then the 9381 has the superior chassis. Yer pays yer money.....

9. idoc61172

idoc61172

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pete

No - I recently bought a Xelos (which I'm delighted with, BTW), but my Dad having seen it was going to go for the 9281 - he will probably buy a Vitros now instead.

Iain.

10. PeteMan

PeteMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is different to the infomation I received from Loewe today as follows:-

"The Aconda 9281ZW is being shipped with both Toshiba and Philips CRT's. To receive the Philips CRT, please request for your retailer to state the article number 60401 X 72.

Best regards

Richard Johnson
    Customer Support"

11. idoc61172

idoc61172

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps the next question should be to Linn to check whether they can guarantee supply of a 'Philips' 9281 if requested.

Somebody needs to get their act together here so that we know what's going on!

Iain.

12. PeteMan

PeteMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right, it does seem to be a bit of a lottery with Loewe with chassis, Tubes, specs, etc. I'll let you know what tube they send me. However, if I specify Philips and they send Toshiba and I don't like it then I'll send it back.

Pete