1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe Aconda - Assistance Please

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Gerry, Nov 3, 2001.

1. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Recieved delivery of my Loewe yesterday. A couple of things are of concern to me. I do not know if these concerns are real problems with the t.v. or issues that are normal.

Potential Problems:
    1. When watching a dvd or t.v. chanel if you switch from "cine" to "16.9" you loose a small bit of the picture on either side of the screen.

2. When watching a picture in "Pan" or "4.3" mode the edges of the picture seem to taper in at the top. At at times one side or other would appear to waver a bit especially when picture is changing from a dark background to a light or vica versa.

3. When I insert a ws-dvd(PS2) and start playing the t.v. does not seem to select "16.9" automatically. In fact on at least one occassion it started in "pan" mode. Should the t.v. automatically select the correct playback format.

Questions:
    3. Even though the manual is not brillant it does say "a dvd player must be connected to Euro-AV3(page 13). Does this mean you should not connect a dvd player to scart 1 or 2. Seems strange.

4.When playing a region1 DVD I read in the forums there is a particular way to playback these dvd's to get the best picture. What is that.

I remember someone saying it can take a couple of days for new t.v. sets to settle but I thought that was with regard to screen degaussing ect. Thank's in advance

2. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    1, will depend on like for like ratios, but if it's i.e. spose to be 16:9 and you select 16:9 then no - but then not all sources are reliable!

2, this would likely just be a geometry issue, can you not adjust this in user or service menu - one settng for dif ratios, av's etc.?

3, check tv is set to auto detect, do you have fully pinned scart?

Qns 3 - I think Loewe say this for this tv cause that scart is the adjustable rgb-component so probably sais so onthat basis. But try a dif one if want/need couldn't hurt tv!
    4, you're referring to progressive scan for ntsc sourcing. I think you need either/and the vga mod and/or a dvd that outs ntsc ps to gain this - could be wrong but pretty sure that's it.

3. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks! As regards the geometry there are 2 options "Picture Vert" and "Rotate Picture" both pre-set at "0". I will play around with these and see if they make a difference. I was at a Hi-Fi show today, mostly Nec plasma screens, hi-fi equipt, cables etc but there were a few sony 36" tv's. I noticed these suffered the same kind of wobble(bowing I think it is called) when screen was set to "4.3" or "pan" so it would seem to be a common occurrance on WS tv's. I tried the DVD in both AV1+2 via an s-video to scart connection, both seemed to work fine.

Thanks for the input.

4. 9004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    regarding the geometry issue, it is adjustable from the service menu, but as your set is brand new I would recommend you go back to your dealer and get them to sort it out (It's quite easy if you know what you're doing, but easy to balls the whole thing up if you don't!)

SCART 3 is recommended for DVD on the Loewe sets, as if you tell it in the set-up menu that you have a DVD it will automatically reduce a lot of the processing that's not necessary with digital sources. 2 of the 3 SCARTS can be used for RGB, all 3 for S, and you can even run Component into the SCARTS.

I've not come across the problems you mention with losing the edges of the picture in 16:9 mode, but that can probably be sorted via the service menu as well.

Hope this helps, because you've got a great TV.

5. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gerry.

AFAIK the aconda does not routinely auto-detect on all inputs. From what I've seen if you choose Pan or Cine that's how it stays unless you tune to a BBC 16:9 broadcast which appears to trigger automatic adjustment to 16:9- or to pan as the nearest to 14:9. 16:9 DVDs like Dinosaurs also trigger 16:9- but not all 22:9 films do this and I too have experienced a 1:2.35 movie triggering "pan". I simply adjusted it to 16:9.

Remember that 4:3, Pan, Cine and zoom are only there to enhance 4:3 material.

If you are losing picture on 16:9- it's probably not a 16:9 image in the first place.

My geometry is also not perfect- but it is reasonable. In any event it can be adjusted- but not from the user menu- "rotate" is to compensate for earth magnetic field and "VERT" simply alters the picture position up and down in cine or zoom to avoid cutting off captions. Adjustment is for service techs on sets as new as ours!

Apart from this, are you happy with the picture itself ?

6. 9004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're using an S video to SCART lead, that's why it's not auto-switching. This can only be done using a fully wired SCART-SCART lead. If possible you should also try to use RGB, not S Video, although not all DVD players will support this.

7. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the info guys. Its satisfying to know the issues are only glitches that can be fixed. I have not come across a "Service Menu" but I doubt I would want to attempt altering any of the parameters therin. As a matter of intrest how do I bring it up.

As far as the picture is concerned Barry, yes I'm well pleased. DVD playback is picture perfect, and tv stations as well although I don't get a great reception on all my stations but can't blame the Aconda for that. Will be getting Sky Digital installed soon this should improve matters as well as provide me with a lot more viewing options.

8. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gerry- You bring up the service menu from a button behind the front flap on the set. It's the one with a curved return arrow on it- it cycles through some of the main menu stuff like volume in case you don't have the remote- but the last option is "service menu". Choose it and it will warn you it is only to be used by qualified Loewe technicians.....

9. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    If it's the full service menu then that'd be excellant for your geometry issues at least, which are the safest thing to play with. After all, all you can make a note of settings (pen and paper) try changing them in aspect mode of choice and see what you're getting result wise real time. Plus if you're unhappy with the adjustments simply don't save them - I think for the Loewe you just hit the E key on remote for exit. Or if you have saved anything you've always got the previous settings written down. Geometry is not something that'll damage your set if adjusted.
    There are some US pages (blogspot forums) which inform on Loewe Us models which may be worth checking out. Also the Americans seem to go for ordering a service manual for there Loewe tvs as they are complete v the little one accompanying the set, something the UK supply has in common. That is, too small a maual. So even if you don't want to adjust potentially damaging stuff at least you may score a more indepth guide to what you've actually got sitting all warm and glowy in front of you. Just a thought.
    I want to see/have the new 40' Loewe that's due soon, even though the cost will probably require a defibrillator to bring me back after shelling out.

10. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yes I found the button and the Menu option "Service Menu" with the message "Trade dealers only". However that was as far as I got I could not get past the main option. Love to know whats in there. When I was looking at the tv in the shop before purchase I rember asking about an input on the back of the set, it was a bit like an s-video input plug. The guy at the time told me it was for service purposes. Maybe you need to plug something in here first. A bit odd really I own the tv but cannot utilise all its options. I suppose there are people out there that are sorry they ever were able to get into a "Service Menu" in the first place but having said that its still seems a bit odd. As encaser said once you take a note of the existing values it should be o.k. to experiment. What happens when the warrenty runs out and you have to pay(probably) to get the guy out to alter a few values in the service menu.

11. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,225
    Hi Barry

Same here I get "for authorised dealers only!". I too would like to know as I have just noticed when the set is in 14:9 mode I get a very slight bowing at he sides. I rang the dealer and he said it was normal for a flat screen TV and if I popped in the shop his Aconda’s would be the same, even so this does not make it right.
    On Sky digi-box’s you can get into their service menu by double clicking or entering a code (do not know of hand without looking this up). I hope there is something similar for the Aconda.

:cool: Ruby quartz shades.

12. warryor

warryor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's really too bad that the service menu is so "secret" for most sets. A qualified user should be able to request the entry method from the manufacturer (I understand they don't want this to be very easily accessed). But then of course it would be a problem for the manufacturer to assert that the user really is knowledgeable and sensible enough, and warranty questions could get difficult.

(But I think it's simply the matter that there are just toooooooooooo many idiots who don't care that they don't know what they are doing, get ****ed when (if) they royally f**p up their sets, and demand a replacement or refund because they are just too damn stupid or dishonest to take responsibility for their self-"inflicted" ignorance.)

13. 9004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your dealer won't help with your geometry problems, I'd contact Loewe in Scotland. They should be able to get an engineer locally to sort it. The geometry will never be perfect on a CRT set, but on the Loewe it shouldn't be far off. Don't be fobbed off! If I knew how to get into the menu I'd tell you.

14. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi guys.
    To get into the service menu..
    If i remember right is press the
    i button then as quick as possible
    press the m button.
    All that is in there is pages of
    bits and bytes. There is nothing
    labeled.
    To use Progscan the signal has
    to be ntsc in scart 3. The Tv should
    do it automatically.
    I guess you have to set the signal
    to SVHS in the menu as well.
    Becarefull.
    Gary

15. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    If the above don't get you in, the US variant is enterable by hitting the M under tv flap and the remotes M.
    For a full description of navigating see
    http://www.loewesm.blogspot.com/
    A useful source of interest if nothing more for Aconda owners.

16. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    THe "i" then "m" scenario does not work. Pressing "i" brings up the Main Menu and the cursor at the "Index" option and as "m" is an option on this menu to go back a page you are just taken straight back out to the screen. I understand what warryor is saying but what about situations where the warrenty has run out and you can't hold the dealer responsible. After all there is all sorts of damage one can do to a computer if you don't know what your doing(like overcloking for example) but you have the option to do or not to do. Garrett I actually did pop into a few shops to look at display sets. There was bowing evident on all the w/s some worse than others. My problem is that the left hand edge of the picture is dead straight whereas the righthand side tapers in a bit at the top. Having checked out other sets its not at all bad however if the left edge can be made to run dead straight why not both.
    BTW Barry one big bonus I got was the improvment in sound. I have the tv connected to a DD amp(sony strdb940). The difference in sound quality from my old tv was tops something I had not really expected. One other thing Barry the link encaser gives is spot on. To get into the service menu hit the button under the flap and hit "M" on the remote. In system settings it tells you how long the set has been active. Mine says 38h. As I only got it Friday this seems a bit long. Any idea what is the norm for this and should new sets say 0h or maybe 1h when recieved. I know they have to be tested and set-up before delivery but how long would this take.

17. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Glad to be of help Gerry. A new set will usually/shouldn't never say 0hours because of time spent on in the factory being setup so don't worry. So the big qn, have you managed to get a stiff upper lip?!!!:p

18. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,225
    Thank everyone, and Gerry, for both bits of info, i.e., TV’s in shops, and the M button, this works on mine.

19. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Aconda has a slight geometry problem in the upper right and left corners- the same areas as where the transient "magnetised" staining is seen. HoF have agreed to replace my set- although warning me that "the next one will probably be the same"!!!

Tell me, fellow aconda owners, if this is familiar: A permanent faint white/grey line down the left hand side of the screen. A small reddish "smudge" top left which changes in size & density and sometimes almost disappears. A blueish fringe top right- usually evident when red smudge least noticeable. Freezing a black and white DVD image reveals blue lines alongside vertical structures (eg a door frame) on the left edge of the picture, orange lines on the right edge.

These effects are only visible at the edges- so in "pan" or 4:3 all seems well. Before you ask- I've degaussed the set many times. It improves but never eliminates the problem. Suspecting a magnetic field from a heating radiator it has spent the last three days in the middle of the room- but I still get the red smudge after an hour or so on.

This apart the picture in the central 90% of the screen is great. But the stain/smudge/line is intensely annoying and spoils appreciation of the whole.

Loewe tech helpline told me it sounded like a colour purity issue and "I might need a new set". Retailer's TV engineer told me that it was probably the result of high contrast settings causing distortion as the shadow mask heats up and slight manufacturing flaws in the yoke become apparent "They're all like it- if you turn the contrast down it will go away". For the record I have contrast set at 49. Obviously turning it down produces a flatter and less satisfying image. Anyway I'm getting a new set. But I'd be interested to know if anyone out there has experienced similar symptoms (non-Loewe too!)???

20. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Barry, the faint line is probably a symptom of your sets flat screen. If you cross read posts you'll see that most if not all bigger flat screens tend to have one or two. I think your set may have a Philips tube (Loewe buy them and RCA/Thomson) so similarities may appear, although with Loewe electrics etc. I had a (read 3 actually!) 36PG50 which had a line running off-centre both vertically and horizontally.
    As for your splodges, American posts have reported seeing the same and the only advice given (by Sensory Science) was to unplug the set for 8hrs min for a thorough degaussing. One bloke was told that it was due to the metal structural work in his home probably! Also perhaps of note they reported that moving the set could cause magnetic builds (e.g. for cableing fiddles) and would require yet another unplugging! Ironically the things the Pg never had were splodges or poor geometry.
    If you're getting another set you should be alright. Don't be fobbed off the "They're all like that" bull. If they were Loewe wouldn't be selling such costly sets and have the rep they have.
    As for the weak contrast suggestion, this has got to be an injoke at the engineers when you consider the way tvs are ramped up contrast ways in showrooms, there'd be a veritable splodge fest in shops nationwide.:p

21. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sorry to hear about the problems Barry but getting a replacement set is pretty good going. I can't say I noticed any smudges and I have not played a B+W DVD yet, sorry. I read the following on a US forum though I'm not sure it is exactly your problem:

""""Has anybody notices some kind of blue "ghost" or "shadow" on the ACONDA screen?

Try playing with the film mode that is accessable through the menu video options. The owners manual on page 31 talks about the film mode and ghosting.

I set film mode to "off" to get rid of the blue ghosting."""

I have come across another irritating issue. I have a PS2 connected up(AV3\S-Vid). When I turn it on and select "Browser" on the menu it brings you to a menu where there is a memory card(if one is in) image and a disc image. This menu is pushed off to the left of the screen rather than been properly centered. I can center it using the "Horizontal Adjustment" but I have to change the the value from 0 to -5 or thereabouts. Problem is this effects all other channels so it is not really a fix. The other thing I noticed was when playing a DVD not all the image is displayed on the screen. Now this is playing a W/S(16.9) DVD in 16.9 mode no stretching or anything. If you move the screen right or left using horizontal adj there is a small bit of the DVD image either side. Is this normal on W/S tv's. BTW encaser the upper lip is hardening not quite stiff yet.:)

Garrett be careful man, just make sure you jot down all the settings first then you can always get back to where you started. Some of the settings(Bytes and Bits) make me a bit nervous.

22. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Gerry, sounds like you may need to call Matron to get that stiff upper lip sorted then!
    When I read the US stuff it sounds like you can save/adjust dif aspects in the service menu, by selecting aspect you want to change while displaying it with ya ws dvd on the go. As for av inputs this is also likely as several brands cater for individual input saves.

23. 9004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gerry

Your problem with loss of width when playing DVD's is probably due to the fact that all TV's overscan. You'll probably find you are losing a bit off top & bottom as well. This is why a 1.85:1 ratio film will fill the screen, when there should really be very small black bars top and bottom (16.65:9). As for your off-centre menu, I don't know much about the PS2, but my Loewe DVD, and my DVDR1000 both have adjustments to centre the menus on them (picture shift). Maybe this is something only Philips based machines have.

24. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,225
    Hi Gerry

I didn’t go there, all I checked out was the geometry settings, and all it did was close or open the picture vertically, left it the same. I couldn’t see anything on to alter the slight bowing the pic has. Well nothing like I have on my computer monitor. Shame there wasn’t one for the horizontal pic, as in 16:9 some of the picture gets lost outside the screen, or am I missing something?

25. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Garrett according to the US web site you scroll down to the setting labeled "EW Lower" which adjusts the "Lower Corners" of the display to widen out and to straighten out. Changes to "EW" Upper" will also change the width of the upper corners of the screen in a similar manner. I have not yet tried it myself so I can't vouch for it. Horizontally you can't squish the picture in but you can move it from side to side. To do this press "i" on remote and select "Index" go to the "Picture Settings" heading and select "Horizontal Displacement" press "OK" and you will be taken to a menu where you can adjust the horizontal settings. Mine was set to 0. Thing is once you change the settings on one channel it applies to all. A feature whereby you could apply the change to one channel, say AV1 - AV3 would be nice. Oh for the features of a computer monitor. Part of the picture being lost outside the screen in 16.9 would appear to be a normal occurrance. All the best and thanks guys. BTW Barry let us know how you get on with the replacement set.

26. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the comments everyone. It's likely to be another couple of weeks before I get the replacement set- which is on order. Meantime I've relocated the set in its original corner in the house. This evening I have a yellowish tinge in the lower right- Theres definitely a relationship between minimal smudge on the left and staining on the right. The bigger the left smudge- the less the right staining- in fact none at all when the left smudge is worst. And vice versa. Theres a sort of half and half where the overall effects are slight and- if it stayed like that- acceptable in the context of an otherwise great picture. But it doesn't!

I have reduced contrast to 46 which still gives a good picture. Stain progression has been slower and less marked today- so perhaps theres something in the contrast effect theory after all- if, that is, you have a faulty set in the first place!

Anyone found a way of having DMM/DMi off on AV3 for DVD and on for everything else without changing it in the menu every time? I find a noticeable improvement having the processing on for broadcast material and I think DVD is better without it (although the difference is not enormous).

27. 9004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Barry

If you've told the set it's got a DVD in the AV setup menu, it will automatically reduce the picture processing on AV3, turning off all unneccesary ones. I haven't looked to see if it kills them in the menu, but I suspect DMM is worth having on for DVD films as well as off air.

28. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,225
    Do you know what the equivalent on the Aconda's setting is, as is use under pincushion on a computer monitor?

29. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The default contrast on the Loewe is way too high as it is with most TVs, the correct setting should be about 40, brightness will need to be recalibrated (25 on mine). On the face of it contrast set too high does look good but by doing so you are loosing detail.

Jeff

30. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,225
    I set my set with a test disc got Contrast 45, Colour 39, and Brightness 22.

By the way Pincushion is an adjustment that alters the side of the picture like a barrel or at the other extreme a bit like a hourglass.