1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe Aconda & Arcam DVD Player+Component Input

Discussion in 'TVs' started by akash, Feb 19, 2002.

Tags:
  1. akash

akash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can 100% say that the AV3 input on the Loewe tv's accept both a RGB & Component input via scart using a fully wired scart cable.

There is only 1 company i know of that will allow its DVd players to output component signals (INTERLEACED) via scart, that is the arcam dvd players, both the dv88 and the dv27.

If your players have only phono component ouputs, there is a new cable by the ever reliable QED cable company called the AV29 which is component+sync to scart cable(NEW).

I have been extensively researching the web for for progressive component input capability of the AV3 input on the loewe, it is possible without the using the so called VGA option.

But you have to disable the internal progressive scanning of the loewe from the service menu to allow NTSC progressive to be recieved.

2. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please explain how I can connect my FMJ DV27´s progressive output to the SCART3 on the Loewe TV...

3. akash

akash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i will be testing out the progressive outputs on wednesday when i get the new cable.

i will inform you of the outcome

4. LostInUK

LostInUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems we (Portuguese) join all together on this one. :) I am also very much interested in these news. That would be great, since me and Lowrider have spent some time to get a solution for connecting a PS DVD to our Loewes.

Cumprimentos para vocês os dois.

5. Tony McG

Tony McG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Akash in ther service menu how to you disable/enable progressive scan?

I've got a Chord component to scart cable to connect my Sony 725 DVD player to my lovely new Loewe 40" (93102) before I was using RGB with the RGB only Squart cable from QED.

To be honest I couldn't tell the difference between RGB and component - and I was really looking hard.

The other thing is that using component the picture did not format into 16:9, where as using RBG it always formats properly to 16:9. I did look for a setting in the menus to control it but couln't find anything.

6. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    linn -the loewe distributors in the uk tell me that their sets cannot accept a progressive scan anyway.
    they perform progressive scan on a non progressive scan input but that's it.
    unless they know nothing about their own product of course.

7. LostInUK

LostInUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They can using the VGA input, which I have on mine.
    But unfortunately Linn is sometimes a bit lost in what refers to the characteristics of the Loewe sets. They were even confused with the manufacters of the screen tubes and refence for each particular model. Anyway, I am very happy with mine, so no complains so far.

Bests.

8. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that's good to hear as i have one with vga input on the way.
    it does raise the question though-would a prgressive scan signal put into the tv look better than a regular signal progressive scanned by the tv?
    i guess it's just a case of either the player or tv doing the same job so it's down to which has the best components.

9. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Tony McG, what do you think of your set for terrestrail, Sky and DVD? I'm divvering over getting one at the mo' - read ages.

Cheers.

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
    A progressive image in 480P@60Hz fed to the VGA socket of a Loewe TV from a device with 2:3 recognition or decent video based material de-interlacing will look substantially better than the progressive scanning done internally in the TV itself......

The VGA socket will not accept a progressive PAL signal though.

Gordon

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Deja Vu?

Haven't we done all this before?

12. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    probably-but it's nice to be learn of features in your new tv that the distributors don't even know about!

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    To be honest I found Linn next to useless on this matter, some of the things they told me were just plain WRONG.:(

In fact it cost them my sale and probably others as well.

14. akash

akash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi everyone i have got my new qed av2930 lead.

tried all sorts of ways to utilise the progressieve outputs.

the tv did detect it but it showed what i can only describe as a split screen.

these are the combinations i used using 3 phono via progressive out on the arcam dvd player to SCART AV3 on loewe:

1) component out (YUV with sync) to loewe SCART

2) component out (YUV without sync) to loewe SCART

3) RGB+Sync to loewe scart!

SO UNFORTUNATLEY THIS PROVES THAT PROGRESSIVE DOES NOT GET ACCEPTED VIA AV3 SCART

BUT I HAVE SOLVED THE PROBLEM OF NTSC FLICKER BY USING THIS NEW CABLE FOR INTERLACED COMPONENT (3 phono + sync via composite) TO SCART.
    THERE IS NO MORE FLICKER!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU CAN ALSO USE THIS CABLE TO OUTPUT RGB VIA 3 PHONO + SYNC (composite) also did not have flicker.

PLEASE NOTE I DID NOT have any adjustment done in the service menu.

so this test has not been without success!

I DEFINITELY RECOMMEND THE QED AV2930 CABLE.

ALSO MY NEW LOEWE 40" IS THE BEST TELEVISION OUT THERE!!
    ALONG WITH THE AWESOME ARCAM FMJDV27 & DENON A11SR!

15. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    How much did this cable cost and where can you buy it on the internet, the QED site doesn't seem to list it!

16. akash

akash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the cable is not yet listed on the website as it is too new.
    it is available for 75.00 ponuds approx.

please note that this cable is only necessary if you wish to utilise interlaced component 3 phono output from any dvd player to a loewe TV (there may be other televsions which accept component via scart). please note that auto movie format detection will be disabled as the cable does not carry the necessary signal!

BUT If you have a ARCAM or MERIDIAN dvd player then I recommend using the scart to scart RGB only cable (QED AV4130, no sound) as this cable can be used for both component and RGB signals. AND you get the benefit of auto movie format detection as the cable carries this signal!

Although the new av2930 cable was a bit better at holding colours

17. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a custom lead made up by Ixos to Gold standard and it cost me £40. Very nice it is too :).

18. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best SCART to SCART cable available is the Chord RGB, around 120 pounds, it carries Component, RGB, sound and composite, 7 wires or so. I think Meridien recomends it...

19. akash

akash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i used my trusty american toshiba sd-3109 dvd player hooked it to loewe but the same flicker problem occured using RGB/YUV/S-video.

i deduced that if the tv has its internal progressive scan on,it causes flicker problems on ntsc material,it is trying to do 60 hz into 120hz (no GO)

if you turn off the internal prog scan off, it defintely gets rid of the flicker problem but then you get more scan lines (which if memory serves right,the picture always was like that on my panasonic tv).

guess i only noticed this problem when i used the loewe tv which does have a good internal prog scan convertor but cant handle 60 hz material,i bought the tv in the assumption it did everything well.

dont get me wrong i lOVE this tv, it is excellent.i am sure there is.