Loewe Aconda 9581XW Any Good?

spm

Does anyone have any experience of these. I appreciate the model is 5 years or more old but I wonder whether it would still be classed as a high end CRT or did things move on a lot before LCD took over.

Last edited:

madhouse

the last and best CRT TV I ever had was a 32 inch Loewe Aconda.

I went through a few TVs before that, trying Sony & Philips, but although these TVs weren't bad, Loewe was just in a different league.

If Loewe hadn't jumped onto the LCD wagon so late I'm sure my LCD would be a Loewe too :eek:)

Good luck!

Simon

Alistair7

Standard Member
Hi - bought a Loewe 32" 9581ZW from eBay last month (99p!!)

Replaced a Thomson 28" 100Hz.

The Loewe picture is stunning - I am using a dvd player outputting component to the AV3 scart on the Loewe and it is superb. Appears to be 480i - though wont accept progressive scan presumably because of the 100Hz processing. SKY box feeding RGB to AV2 scart and the best picture quality I have ever seen.....

If you can find one then go for it - they cost £2100 new I believe !! :thumbsup:

spm

my typing obviously isn't so good i should have said 9581zw.

99p - wow I was looking at £299 for supposedly new with 2 years warranty

Alistair7

Standard Member
It was 99p because there was no sound but I didn't need sound anyway.....

Generally regarded as one of the best CRT pictures - there are a couple on eBay at the moment.

I would be reluctant to spend £299 since if it really is new it has been sitting in a box for 5 or 6 years....no doubt.

It is almost impossible to give away large-screen CRT's these days but if you are looking for a 32" CRT then go for a Loewe. There are loads of add-ons (decoders, Dolby sound systems, PC card etc ) and most of the second-hand ones I have seen seem to have lots of extras (mine didn't).

hamish99

Standard Member
Loewe A9581ZW

£299 at Empiredirect originally £2099

Loewe X5261ZWG

£299 too, from Empiredirect, originally £799

Tempted to go for the A9581, wonder where these have appeared from.

Alistair7

Standard Member
Tempted to go for the A9581, wonder where these have appeared from.

They will have been lying about somewhere - although Empiredirect are well-known for not actually having the stock they are trying to sell. The listing says 10 days delivery or so...

Empiredirect were selling these sets at £499 a couple of weeks ago - the credit crunch is certainly biting !!

Alistair7

Standard Member
The credit crunch has little to do with the demise of CRT TVs.

?????

but the credit crunch possibly explains why this retailer was selling them at £499 a couple of weeks ago and today at £299 (possibly because they didn't sell many).

I think it is called supply and demand........

aekostas

I think it's called "dead, voluminous stock".

Noone has been making CRTs and next to nobody has been buying CRTs for, I don't know, 3 years?

So, while you are right that there is more supply than demand, the credit crunch, aged 4 weeks or 4 months maybe, has nothing to do with a much longer standing phenomenon.

On the contrary, I would say that (too much) disposable income led to the demise of CRT, against a, then, extremely inferior technology.

gilesme

Standard Member
Acondas were great CRTs - awesome picture quality and great sound.

One thing to not is they weigh c.50 kgs...

I got mine new for £1800 (1998) - however it's gone to the great recycler in the sky, as I got fed up with repairing the bloody thing.

Had 2 x power supplies. Got to the point it became unrepairable - went for a 37" panasonic plasma instead - very happy, though picture not quite as good as the Loewe.

Only buy if you get a good warranty !

balfie

Standard Member
I have a 32 inch one for sale...wil post shortly. Works fine, trouble free, moving to smaller house

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom