1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe Aconda 9381ZW

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Gerry, Oct 27, 2001.

1. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Well I bought my new Loewe today. It will not be delivered until next week when the guy that delivers will also set up the set for me. After reading the setup problems Willhourihan had with his aconda I would like to know if there is anything in particular I should get this guy to do/show me while I have him in my home. Any suggestions/ideas would be appericated as I know from experience with other pieces of hardware how difficult it can be to get an engineer out to ones house. I may as well get the full use of his expertise while he is here. BTW Will I hope the suggestions from Gary helped you in sorting out your display problems and all is o.k. now.
    Cheers.

2. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gerry, I took delivery of an Aconda on Wednesday. I'm getting great results from it but it has taken some effort.

As you've probably picked up the manual is very insubstantial- all the deeper stuff is in the set's on-screen menu system. Still you have someone setting it up for you- but basically you switch on first and connect stuff as the set tells you. This flies against everything I've been told before (ie power off and connect everything first). Bottom line- VCR to AV1 (not RGB) Digibox to AV2 (RGB) and DVD to AV3 (RGB with levels of processing switchable).

Make sure you use good cables- 100Hz sets seem less tolerant of cheapo cables. I've upgraded my SCARTS and RF leads and this has made a substantial difference to picture quality.

First (heart-stopping) thing I noticed was significant red staining in the top right and yellow staining in the bottom right. However this disappeared after degaussing- which occurs automatically if you turn the set off at the mains and leave for several hours. Apparently this magnetising can happen easily if you move the set around while warm. A hint of red stain appeared the next day in top left after I had been re-cabling (and moving the set around). Again it disappeared after power down and five hours left off.

After four days of paranoia I'm finally enjoying the set. It is- when set up properly- and as nearly everyone says- a great TV. I'm sure you'll love it. Reservoir Dogs on Film Four via ITV Digital was virtually indistinguishable from DVD quality. (NB. I have excellent ITV Digital reception with maximum signal strength on all muxes- I get the impression that this is not very common!)

As for Willhourihan's display problems he didn't say if he'd managed to save settings. But you have to enter a section of the menu called "Standard Settings" where you can save your changes- or call up your last saved settings. Only thing I didn't understand in the advised settings from that thread was a contrast value of 9. On my set you'd see nothing if you chose that- in normal or any other setting. I followed the suggestions but with contrast at 49. And the end result is- on decent quality programming- gorgeous. Enjoy! :D

3. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the info Barry. I'm glad you made me aware of the color staining situation, at least now I wont freak out if it does occur in the first couple of days. I would say you are pretty lucky to have a good strong digital reception as this is not always the case. I am getting Sky Digital installed shortly the reception of which can be a bit boegy depending on all sorts of factors. I will take your advice regarding the cabels although the top of the line makes would be at the moment to pricey for me. Can you suggest some in the mid-range pricing, not more than £35-50 for say a scart lead. I'v also noticed on some squart leads that carry the RGB signal they only carry the video not the audio. Is this the norm or will some scart cables carry both the RGB signal and the audio signal.

PS: Seems likely that the Contrast setting of 9 may have actually meant 49(the 4 left out somehow) as a setting of 9 contrast on any t.v. is very low.

4. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gerry. Your budget should be fine overall for cabling. I think its worth spending more on some connections than others. Spend the real money on the RGB feeds. All SCARTS need to be fully wired if your tv is standalone without separate sound system. Most scarts are like this and carry sound. You are probably thinking of the RGB only version of the QED SQART. I've used the fully wired version of that cable. The IXOS cables are also highly regarded and a few quid cheaper than QED. This is my set up:

AV1- (VCR) SCART - SCART Oxygen free gold plated cable from Argos (!) - £15

AV2- (Digibox) SCART- SCART 0.5m fully wired QED SQART from Superfi - £39.95

AV3- (DVD) SCART- SCART 1.0m fully wired QED SQART from Superfi- £49.95 from Superfi

Two decent RF male-female co-axial interconnects from Digibox to VCR and from VCR to TV- V21's from Russ Andrews for £9.95 each.

I also use a scart splitter rom the auxillary socket of the digibox to a video sender and a scart-scart from the splitter to the VCR. These are pretty basic- but recording quality is very acceptable so I see no need to upgrade.

I started out with cheap scarts and interconnects all round except for the Argos cable- which gave pretty good results on the DVD. But digibox and analogue pics left much to be desired. Not now- its all very impressive!

5. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the reply Barry. One last question, does the fact that a scart cable is fully wired mean that it will carry the RGB signal or must this be stated on the box the scart comes in.

6. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gerry

Any fully wired scart will carry just about everything which your dvd/digibox can send including sound. How well it carries depends on the rest of the spec and inevitably the price. There are only two situations I know of where they are not fully wired- firstly, some very cheap scarts (£5 or less) may only deliver composite signals & not RGB- and very expensive RGB only scarts (I've only heard of the QED) which don't have sound to reduce any possibility of interference. Hi Fi shops are the best places for high grade scarts and co-ax. Try www.superfi.co.uk if you want to get them online (not that I can vouch for the web site- I used one of their stores). Buy wisely and enjoy your Aconda....

7. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi Gerry.
    Are you on tender hooks waiting for a big box
    to arrive?
    When I was waiting for mine to arrive I was like
    a kid a christmas.
    I just checked my contrast and it is on 9 .
    Odd that the sets seem to vary so much.?.
    When I purchased mine they had only been out a
    short while and there was a problem when playing
    Ntsc dvds.
    On a black scene in a darkened room there was a
    band of light visable on the top inch of the picture.
    It was really faint but once I knew it was there =(
    I phoned Leowe to see if it could be sorted.
    They said germany knew there was a problem and
    a upgrade was on the way.
    Four weeks later the upgrade was fitted no problem.
    But I was not there when it was done so I could not
    ask any questions. I think a new board was fitted
    someware.
    I guess this could be why mine is at a lower setting.
    One other thing the difference between progscan and
    100hrz is massive.It is really noticeabe on non-anaphorhic
    discs.
    Ixos cables are used my me as well.
    Later
    Gary

8. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yes Gary I am looking forward to delivery, this Friday. The set looked absolutly fab in the shop. From posts I have read about the Aconda it would appear its important to get the settings just right for optimal picture. At the moment I am looking for a suitable stand for t.v., d.d. amp, decoder etc. The Loewe stand was just to small. I'v been looking at stands from Soundstyle, StandsUnique and Optimum.