1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe Aconda 9281ZW - it's arrived!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by PeteMan, Jul 12, 2002.

1. PeteMan

PeteMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After being put off an FQ I ordered a Loewe Aconda 9281ZW and it has now arrived. Some initial observations....

1) It's big and it's heavy.
    2) Despite being told by Linn that I could specify a Phillips tube this did not turn out to be true. A Toshiba tubed version arrived and Loewe customer services said it was not possible to specify tubes.
    3) Glass stand well worth the £300. Very heavy and solidly made. Nice touches like supplying extra screws in case you lose one.
    4) Picture great, not spotted any gremlins yet. Sound awesome, even through standard integrated speakers.
    5) PIP is fully supported on the Q2400 chassis, i.e. small picture in picture, split screens/ split screen with teletext.
    6) Teletext is offset on the screen and curves in towards the top. Can this be rectified?
    7) Smart link partially working, i.e. downloaded channels to VCR on set up and VCR switches over to the TV channel when you press record. However I cannot get the video to respond to controls (play, stop, etc) via the TV. Anyone got any ideas?
    8) Next step will be to purchase a Pace Digibox as I don't want to pay for Sky and cable not laid on our estate.

Final cost £1850 for TV, VCR and glass rack from Audio T who price matched Robert Whyte for tv and TV & Video Direct for VCR and stand.

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,462
    Welcome to the Loewe club, PeteMan.;)

3. PeteMan

PeteMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An update, it' not just on Teletext that the screen curves inwards at the top left, it's also apparent in 4:3 mode. Can this be eradicated in the service menu?

Also, when the video is in STOP mode and I set the TV to channel 0 (Coax) I cannot view programmes via the video tuner. Works OK in channel 199 (Scart).

When the TV arrived the packaging was untouched (i.e. had never opened). However, I have noticed that someone else has defined a favourite teletext page and given it a name. Is this a cause for concern when considered with the above problems?

Any ideas?

4. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I doubt anyone has watched your TV and stored a Personal teletext Page. When my Aconda came, it was definately brand new and unopened but the first time I went in to the Personal Pages, there was a BBC2 Teletext Finance Page stored in there:confused:. I never gave it a second thought though.

If you really want, you can go in to the service menu and find out how many hours the TV has been switched on for. PM me or do a search for details.

5. PeteMan

PeteMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You see, this is why these forums work so well. Guess what, the favourite page was a BBC2 page named 'FINANCE'!. Weird or what but implies not a problem (unless yours and my telly was rejected by the same persone and repackaged!). Will try dealer first before I PM you about service menus.

6. btuckey

btuckey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Slightly OT, but can any of you guys tell me how the Aconda performs on lower bit-rate broadcasts such as BBCI on SKY? I was going to buy a 32pw9617 from JL tomorrow but the problems encountered by Mr T. and others in postings below are making me think again. In the end though, I just want a decent picture via my Sky+ box and I'm not turned on by PIP etc. If Loewe use Tosh tubes, do they reject those with the infamous staining problems? Sorry for all the questions but it is a lot of money to get it wrong!

7. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    btuckey:

The Aconda has no problems with BBC on Sky. In fact I think BBC on Sky has a very good bitrate - certainly in comparison to the likes of Bravo and some of the US News channels. With very poor broadcasts such as these, you are prone to getting pixellation and block artifacts but that is true of all 100hz sets and the problem lies with the broadcast, not the TV.

I would certainly recommend having a good look at some of the Loewe models. It's only the 9281ZW Living Models that come with Toshiba Tubes but I still think they are off a higher standard than some of Toshiba's own sets due to the Loewe chassis and software being used. That said, I went for the 9381ZW Aconda as I had a bad experience with Toshiba and the whole ZP18 fiasco. As such, I will never buy Toshiba again (although they do make some cracking Laptops). :)