1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe Aconda 40" CRT opinions?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Rob, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Folks,

Has anybody had experiences with this TV?

Loewe seem to have a good name, and I'm looking for something to use for TV, DVD & HCPC, as much of my stuff is on hard disc. I'm looking around at all the options, RP, plasma etc and this looks a good buy at around the £1800 mark.

The VGA card upgrade seems to make this ideal, I'm just concerned about how PC based stuff will look on a 40" CRT TV. I know its a big bugger, but I don't necessarily need a flat panel as there would be ample space behind where it would sit.

Has anyone seen one??

Cheers Rob.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Have seen one and not impressed really their DLP RPTV is much better, the 40" uses a curved tube made by thomson for US market, i would get a PW6 or similar plasma perhaps consider top end Tosh RPTV and DLP RPTV's if you want size then RPTV or even a PJ? Just my 2 cents

3. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    thanks,

Kind of what I thought. I imagine 40" is pushing the tube a bit far!

I guess I need to move on. I still like the image from CRT, but as I want to use my PC, Plasma would probably the best route.

Cheers Rob.

4. Jack Bowyer

Jack Bowyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, if you put this next to a 42 plasma side by side I would pick the Loewe CRT everytime - it has more definition with a touch smaller picture. And with with a price of £1800 its got to be worth a look at.

Put it next to a 32 Loewe I would always go for the 32 - the contrast is much better, and sharper picture.

But it has to be an alternative to plasma if your picky on picture res

You check it out if you can find one on display....

Jack

5. a3rmk

a3rmk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a Panny 4 plasma and have also been looking at this monster as you still can't beat crt for picture quality.
    Went up to Harrods on Saturday and the quality through one of the Loewe players through RGB on Shrek was better than mine through a Marantz using component.
    If it's for PC use, then check out petermartin.co.uk that shows the Loewe TVs running HD stuff @576p through the VGA input!
    The multimedia option might sway it for me as well, as you can even turn your PC on by the remote...oh yes.

6. andi

andi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also saw the 40 incher in Harrods showing Shrek in the Linn department, and the quality was mind blowing. The only drawback is the curvature of the screen. You need to see it in real life to understand whether it is acceptable for you or not.

However, the picture quality is second to none to my untrained eye.

7. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    if you are hell bent on buying the loewe 40'.
    may i suggest to you that you buy it in gloss black as it helps not seeing the tube not 'sticking out' so much as apposed to the silver one.

8. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks for the replys,

I've now decided to go for a Pioneer plasma instead, as I couldn't find one on display. At the moment I have problems with my existing CRT tv (29") reflecting, so I decided not to take the risk, as the Loewe will no doubt be the same if not worse. At least the plasma will be flat.

Thanks for the input,

Rob.

9. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Was back in Harrods today checking this telly out.

Saw Shrek, Matrix and LOTR playing on this thing through bog standard RGB scart.

The picture was mind blowingly surreal. The slight curvature of the screen was a non issue to me as the quality of the picture on offer was simply mesmorising. Absolute top notch set that puts the PDP30 and anything else firmly behind it. The only other picture that I rate was on a B&O plasma (panny HD6) which was stunning, but still a notch or two below this beast.

I "did" have a Viera 42PE30 on order......not so sure I want to go down that route now.

10. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I watched the Viera 42" today and i think it was better than the PW6.

Did you meet the Queen at Harrod's today eh? :D

11. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    LOL :D Queen or no Queen, it's the only place that has this thing on demo anywhere around here !

Viera is optimised as a telly, so handles this better but the panel is the same as the PW6 ? Should really be no different, only source dependent ?

What bugs me is I have set aside £3.5k for the Viera but I am not 100% about pic quality and am not comfortable about screen burn. These are not compromises or issues that anyone should have to accept when spending this kind of money on a telly. Not in this day and age.

The Loewe maybe BIG and HEAVY but it represents the pinnacle of CRT as we know it. It gains serious kudos from me as in the face of all the Plasma / Flatscreen panel onslaught it beats them all in the most important area of them all..... Picture Quality.

It had a non-PS DVD plugged into it, RGB Scart connected. Job done, simplicity itself. Do you know how many £££k's you have to spend on a Plasma to try to get somewhere close to emulating this level of quality and still not being 100% happy overall ?

You owe it to yourself to at least have a look at this set.

12. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Hi Ekko Star, did you go for the 40" Aconda? The reason I ask is I'm a nat's whisker away from buying one. I am not convinced with plasma's or rear projection tv's. I'm probably going to get one from Peter Martin's within the next couple of months but I'm going to buy it "blind".
    I can't be arsed to go to London to look at one in action but having read quite a few reports and general feed back from people who have seen it I'm happy enough. In fact there is a very interesting report over on P.Martin's website about getting high def. images from this tv with the vga upgrade. The guy is a moderator on an Australian A.V. forum so I think he knows his stuff!
    Cheers,
    John.

13. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Hi Oddbodd,

No I didn't go for it, after a real toss up, I went for a Panasonic Viera instead. Purely because I decided to re-arrange my room layout for a Plasma and others in the family wanted a Plasma.

Although the Viera is good, the Loewe is better. It's the old CRT vs Plasma debate. If you decide to go for it rest assured you will have one of the very best display devices in the world. Also I think they'll stop making them in about a month. At current prices it is worth every single penny and is absolute class, enough said. Do see one with your own eyes for your own peace of mind, it's always best to do that anyway.