1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loewe 32" Spheros LCD

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Nicks1, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Nicks1

Nicks1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have had TV for 3 months-delighted with awesome pictures!
    But have a small problem. On dark blank screen between scenes there is a fogging in all corners working towards centre but not detrimental currently to picture. Is this of concern and will it get worse?

Also, I have picture settings on 'factory setting'. Has anybody else got better pictures set up manually? If so, would be interested in your settings!

Can anybody offer advice?

Thanks

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Backlight bleed. Is it getting worse? Most LCD's suffer from this a little, especially the cheaper ones. I would be tempted to inform Loewe now and tell them that if it gets worse you'll want to exchange it out.

Jimmy

3. Nicks1

Nicks1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It doesn't appear to be getting any worse, but I will inform Loewe anyway.

Thanks for the info Jimmy

NickS

4. strontiumdog

strontiumdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had this exact same problem with a cheaper lcd,took it back and bought a panny vierra,dont get it at all.loewe,s are more exspensive than pannys and your getting this problem?take it back and exchange for another

5. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The factory settings for contrast and brightness are way too high. You need to reduce by about 1/3! I posted the DVI input settings for a Xelos about a month back and would make a fair starting point for the Spheros. Off the top of my head, contrast was in upper 30's, brightness in lower 40's. Or was it the other way around. Too far from my TV to check. This will hopefully stop the bleed.

-Ian

6. Nicks1

Nicks1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks chaps for the advice.

Ian(H64)

Finally found the settings you posted for your Xelos last month!!
    I have stored these as personal settings - look good to me, certainly 'softer' than factory settings. Let you know if this improves the backlight bleed (which interestingly only appears when the set has been on in excess of an hour)

Whilst on Ian, I read one of your threads on your free issue Centros and the fun and games you appeared to have setting it up! I wasn't clear what you really felt about it?

I'm in the market for a replacement DVD player, wasn't impressed with the Loewe Xemix and the other one (what was it called??). Loved the look of the Centros although it was a DVD recorder and thought it might do the job. Read review(only one I could find) and wasn't impressed, especially with the connectivity. Although component connection to Loewe media box which should afford good playback from DVDs, I am concerned with the outputs which appear to be composite and s-video at best, which surely will affect the quality of recording to DVD either from the tv hard drive or direct from my sky box (not+) which is a digital signal.

Are these assumptions correct and would you have spent your wonga on the Centros if it had not been a freebee?? I know beauty is not necessarily the best, especially not with DVDRs..........but brand loyalty and looks and all that!!

If not, any suggestions which recorder might show off the Spheros in its best possible light?

Appreciate your views Ian and of course any other interested parties.

Thanks

-Nick

7. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Nick

Sorry for the delay. Been away to the land of slow and unreliable shared dialup connections.

I would expect you to have to change the settings for the Spheros if you have not done so. I think the ones that I posted were for DVI input from my HDMI DVD player at 720p. RGB and component values were in the same ball park but different enough to make a visible difference. i suspect that the glass screen will also make a difference. Calibrations were make using DVE PAL.

I finally entered into dialogue with Linnsight but the festive season and being away put a stop. I still have unresolved issues both with the Xelos and the Centros. My understanding is the the Centros is basically a repackaged LG player with Loewe software. The original LG did not get very good reviews, but i have not seen the reported issues with the Centros.

I am not 100% sure of the capabilities of the Centros, but it certainly has more than s-video and composite. These inputs, plus DV/firewire/1394 are on the front, but on the rear, there are two SCART (AV1, AV2) which I believe are RGB. The output SCART (AV1) can also be switched off, in which case component can be output instead on separate RCA terminals. No documentation whether this is progressive or not (I don't think it is), whether the input side of SCART AV1 remains connected or whether SCART AV2 can be converted and output via component.

My external freeview recorder is currently connected to AV2 and *should* be outputting RGB. However I am a little suspicious of this and think it may be composite. The Xelos is connected to AV1. So freeview box is daisy chained through the DVD player.

Some of the issues that I am having relate to the DR+ harddisc archiving. These may be due to a configuration issue, defect in the cabling or someother issue. The issues that I am having are:

1. Ghosting of AV2 with centros in standby as discussed in one of my posts. Workaround is to have Centros on and selecting AV2 as input.

2. Archiving from DR+ harddisc to centros is intermittent. I have yet been able to archive two shows back to back. It seems to reset the AV input of the second recording to some input and I get feedback.

3. When performing archive, TV set turn itself on - usually in the middle of the night. So the next morning I have a TV showing garbage and a failed recording.

4. Stutter when viewing DV material from camcorder via DV input. It has recorded fine however.

5. Machine locks up when performing FF through recorded material. Need to put in standby to recover.

6. Unable to get decent recording from freeview on AV2 - the picture stutters.

If I had spend £400 of my own money on the Centros, I would not be happy and it would have gone right back to the shop. Having it 'free', I am still unhappy, but can't get a refund! Hopefully Linnsight will act on my issues, which, being use to this from similar hi-fi companies, I would like to think that Linn/Loewe have the same customer relationship. I just need to find time to put down concisely my issues and pass them on for their feedback.

Technically, im a DVD/RW virgin. I don't think it has the latest bells and whistles, but I think that it will do me for what I want. PQ does seem more than adequate and, IMO, it is a nice looking unit. If everything was sorted, I think it would work quite well, but then I think it would be the same with any smartlink or whatever equipped recorder.

But with how things stand for me at present, I cannot recommend this unit. However if it was this bad, im sure that many others would be having the same issues. I guess I really need to get the installer back and work through the issues.

-Ian

8. Nicks1

Nicks1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ian,

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.

The retailer from whom I bought the Spheros (Futurehome in Wokingham)are actually pretty helpful, and for a retailer very knowledgeable,without being too 'tekky'!!. They are hooking up a Centros with their Spheros in the shop today and have agreed to simulate a couple of scenarios. They have already said that, via a component output (using QED CV1 cables), DVD playback is awesome and one of the best PQ's they have seen, significantly better than the RGB connection! However, the recording format still remains a bit of a mystery -there is a general consensus that recording onto the HD of the TV is actually s-video format, and the scart inputs for recording onto the Centros are s-video at best and possibly only composite(not component or RGB). Whether these can be configured I am not sure and am awaiting a reply from LOEWE. I'm using this no. for them 01292 471558 and my contacts here have been very helpful (mindful of your earlier comments about technical backup from Loewe!).

I'll let you know how I get on with Futurehome. I noticed that you are in Surrey, and if you can get to the shop if you're in the area, they're well worth a visit and have some great kit. Contacts are Neil, Richard and Ian. I may well even take your comments with me today and see what they say.

Out of interest the Centros was reviewed in detail last year and is worth a read in:-

www.homecinemachoice.com

(Just enter Centros)

Once again, thanks.

9. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Having just read the review and seeing that they made a comment about formatting DVD-RW discs previously formatted on a Philips unit, I forgot to mention that out of 3 Imation DVD-RW discs that I have tried, 2 have failed to format. Will need to try in a different recorder to dee if it a disc fault.

Odd about lack of RGB in. This May explain a few things - like why I seem to be watching composite instead of RGB out from my Pace box. Maybe I will shift it to use AV1 on the Xelos (composite and s-video) for record only and return the Pace twin freeview recorder to its rightful place of RGB on Xelos AV2. Then I will link up the Centros to Xelos via component and the composite archive output of the Pace freeview box to AV2 in Scart on the Centros.

Oddly though, the connection wizard on the Xelos puts any DVD recorder on the AV2 RGB Scart connection on the Xelos.

Its just a real shame that the documentation is so poor.

-Ian