loewe 32" could be a problem ??

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by alscds, Oct 2, 2004.

Tags:
  1. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    loewe xelos 32" lcd ... although this is a pretty decent lcd due to its 6th generations sharp screen. there is a slight problem it doesnt give true 16/9
    when compare side by side to the sharp 32"gd1e the loewe does give you 5 to 10 % less picture .. try it b 4 you buy

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    What zoom mode were you viewing in and what was the source input? There are quite a few options 16:9, 14:3, Original (dot for dot), Cinema, Panarama and zoom - not all are present for all inputs. They all have different properties and crop/zoom the picture to different degrees.

With the Loewe, this can probably all be configured as you wish - there is a zoom adjustment in the service menu and in the component/VGA input setup there is the ability to size and move the picture as you wish. There is also vertical shift for some (Cinema and Panarama) of the zoom modes.

Using DVE on component input, I get spot on geometry (inputting at 576p) in 16:9 mode. However, I have an issue on DVI input (at 720p) where the bottom 4%-5% if input is cropped (5% grid is just visible at bottom) and I am getting black in its place but I think this is an adjustment for the DVD/Scaler rather than screen. This is in addition to the 1366x768 / 1280x720 border if used in original (dot for dot) mode and still present when in 16:9 mode.

-Ian

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I have confirmed my DVI 5% missing picture as a problem with my DVD/Scaler. It has nothing to do with the Loewe.

4. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    we only tried it with scart rgb to loewe at same time component to sharp same picture same time same loewe dvd recorder even the rep was surprised ???

5. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I would say that it was due to the different inputs being used. Had the Loewe been using component, you could have sized the picture in anyway that you wanted and then added one of the zoom modes to it - or kept it in original. I get 100% screen using the DVE geometry test pattens at 576P in 16:9 zoom mode.

There is also RGB colourspace available on component input which gives as much control as for YUV. However, RGB via SCART does not offer any screen scaling options other than the zoom modes.

As you do not say what zoom mode it was using - it defaults to Panarama unless you specify otherwise - I would imagine that this is where the 5%-10% less picture comes from. Otherwise, a properly configured component input via RGB or YUV would have been a better comparison.

-Ian

6. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for the info i,ll give it a try next time theres a quiet spell we if i can remember rightly im sure sharp was 16/9 cinema and loewe just 16/9 but id have to check . cheers .....AL