Loewe 16:9/4:3 automatic switching

polaco

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've posted this in another thread and got no answer, maybe it was too hidden down in the thread. Maybe someone can help me
--------
I've been experimenting with component also. I have a Loewe Xelos (scart) connected to a Toshiba 210 via component (3xRCA), using a cable I made, because I couldn't find a cable that would do it (seems this QED one is new). The Loewe is set at "sync on Y".
The problem is that the TV doesn't switch automatically between 4:3 and 16:9 anamorphic image. What am I doing wrong?

- I should make a cable with 3 RCA for YUV and another one for composite and set the Loewe for "sync on composite" or

- The sync has nothing to do with the automatic switching?

The component out on the Toshiba is interlaced, of course. The TV switches fine using s-video. The picture is fine as it is, just doesn't switch.

Thanks

Polaco,

I believe you can't get auto switching on the Loewe if you connect via the component outs. This is normally carried by another pin in the scart which won't be connected in this case. Just something you have to live with I guess.

By the way I have a vitros and a Tosh 210 and I am considering connecting the components from the Tosh. Did you notice an improvement in picture quality over RGB? i.e. is it worth me buying a component to scart cable?

Cheers

Sorry this isn't a definitive answer. I believe if you use componet leads then you dont get aspect ratio switching! Using s-video or scart leads there are standards defined to WSS. However the only possible option for component would be to use line 23 (PAL) or whatever line it is for NTSC.

Of course I maybe wrong about this :cool:

Thanks all

I believe you can't get auto switching on the Loewe if you connect via the component outs. This is normally carried by another pin in the scart which won't be connected in this case.
Well, let's get it connected :) do you know if that pin is the sync one that I can connect to a composite out, or the sync signal has nothing to do with it?
sraper, do you mean there's data in line 23 of the image that's used to make the switch happen? and does that data come from the sync signal?

Did you notice an improvement in picture quality over RGB?
Sorry, but I didn't get to testing RGB yet. I will eventually. I
surely will if I can't get this switching thing to work, it's getting on my nerves.

Nothing to do with sync I'm afraid.

On SCART its PIN 18 it uses 2 or 3 different voltage levels to determine the aspect ratio, I think. Not sure how the S-Video works.

I use SCART to SCART carrying component from the FMJ (and the DV88 before), and it does the swithing, but it has composite connected too...

And sound, all thru the SCART, of course...

I use 3 RCA's to link my TV and DVD via component, the WSS is carried on line 23 and line 21 of the picture, I forget which is NTSC and which is PAL. All of this has nothing to do with the sync signal. If the tv will switch using S-Video then it is nothing to do with the pin 8 switching either.

Hopefully someone with some Loewe knowledge will come along soon to tell us why it doesn't switch with component when it does with S-Video.

my guess, stress GUESS, is that either your player is not outputting the line 21/23 information on component or that the TV is ignoring that information on its component inputs!

Well, with the help I got here and a bit of research I did on the net, I feel I'm out of luck:
- my initial ideia that this was somehow related to the sync signal is completely wrong
- the Loewe can use the switching signal on pin 8 when connected via scart/scart, because it works with Lowrider's Arcam. Since the Toshiba outputs via 3xRCA, this method of transmitting the switch signal is not viable
- the other way of transmitting the aspect ratio signal is using line 23 of the PAL image, which the Toshiba outputs since I've seen posts from people on several newsgroups stating that the switching works on their TVs that have 3xRCA component inputs
My conclusion is that the Loewe ignores the line 23 info and only switches aspect ratio using pin 8 on the scart.
Well, there's always the remote, I can live with that.
thanks for all your help

I really don't see how it could do the switching, there is no signal for that in an 3xRCA => SCART connection. It doesn't matter if it's RGB or YUV on those RCA's.
Further more I don't think you get switching for an S-Video => SCART connection either, for the same reason. At least I have never seen my Xelos doing that.
The only situation where you would get switching would be in the SCART => SCART case; which of course could be transfering Composite, S-Video or RGB signals (and in the Loewe special case even YUV/Component).
I found some useful information about SCART connectors at this url: http://www.whatvideotv.com/articles/hardware/200102_scart.shtml

Tommy is correct. I have the Aconda and using my S-Video->Scart(Squart) cable I do not get the format swithing wheras I do with Scart->Scart connections.

You got me confused now. My Xelos does the switching if I use a mini-din/scart cable, with s-video.
Maybe that depends on the dvd player.
I really don't see how it could do the switching, there is no signal for that in an 3xRCA => SCART connection.
that would be information on line 23 of the image, if I got any of this correctly.

Well just to throw a fly in the ointment, I use a 3 RGB phono to scart lead with sync on green to get a component output to my Loewe from my SD9000 and the ratio swiching works fine. My lead was custom made by Ixos.

After some more research I found these standards relating to aspect ration signaling:
- VBID, CPX-1204 ( EIAJ provisional standard )
- WSS, ETS300/294 ( ETSI provisional standard ). This could be downloaded freely from http://pda.etsi.org/pda/home.asp?wki_id=4609

The VBID specifies that the aspect ration information is superimposed on line 20 and 283 of the NTSC video signal.

The WSS specifies that the aspect ration information is superimposed on line 23 of the PAL and SECAM video singals.

So it seems that the auto switching should work with an S-Video => SCART connection.
I wonder if the AMD (AutoMovieDetection) flag in the Loewe/Xelos setup could have someting to do with it?

Regarding a component (3xRCA) to SCART connection, does it really use PAL/NTSC signaling at all? :confused:

Regarding the AMD flag. On broadcast TV if I have this on then my Xelos will change aspect ratio automatically for PALplus on ITV and letter box stuff like E.R. and movies.

Regarding the AMD flag, as far as I can tell it is not related to the
automatic switching between anamorphic and non-anamorphic
images (the horizontal stretch) that we're discussing. It works
fine independently pf the connection I'm using and if it is turned
on in the menu, but that just switches between various 4:3
modes (pan, cine, zoom) and not between 4:3 and 16:9.
PalPlus detection is also not related to wether AMD is on or off.
I have AMD turned off and my TV detects palplus transmissions
and changes aspect ratio accordingly.
Regarding a component (3xRCA) to SCART connection, does it really use PAL/NTSC signaling at all?
That's a good question, Tommy. I'm inclined to think it really
depends on the implementation used by different tvs and players.
My Loewe <-> sd210 doesn't work. Brattle's Loewe <-> sd9000
works. Who knows why?
Maybe there's another important fact here. Brattle's cable was
made by Ixos. My cable was made by me :/

I have a Chord component cable to link my Aconda (93102) to my DVD (Sony 725) and mine is the same as polaco's - it does not automatically switch to 16:9, very anoying.

I asked Loewe (Linn)and they said it should but didn't seem very sure.

I have gone back to RGB using the video only Squart cable.

In the end I couldn't tell the difference between RGB and component and I prefer the autoswitching- ok so I know it's only a button that I need to press!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom