Locking the volume control?

Jimlad

Standard Member
Sorry this is not home Cinema but I couldn't see where else it would fit?
I have a very aged Aunt who is in shelterd accomodation. She is very deaf and consequently winds the volume up to max using the remote control of her TV. This has caused complaints by neighbours via the Manager to me. The manager tells me she believs it is possible to limit the the volume. Can anyone help and point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Jimlad

Jimlad

Standard Member
hornydragon said:
depends on the TV, some have the ability normally in a service menu, (does she wear a hearing aid?)
Yes she wears an aid on one ear, the other is NBG!
I will be visiting her next week (200 mile round trip) and hope to get all the details of the TV & remote. Will report back. I was hoping I could go with some possible solutions.

Jimlad

hornydragon

you can get a box that will interface TV to hearing aid "Inductive loop" can also be used for phone and may stop her cranking the TV right up

C

charlie44

what about a set of headphones? You can get some good wireless ones.....

Jimlad

Standard Member
charlie44 said:
what about a set of headphones? You can get some good wireless ones.....
Thought of that as a solution but she will loose them as she is suffering from quite a lot of memory loss and looses everything door keys, TV remote (which I now have srewed some bowden cable to it at one ed and the other to leg of her TV table). However, if you know the wireless phones can be limited in volume I could similar make so she can't move the head phones away from the TV.

Thanks

Jimlad

amorenod

Novice Member
Setting the max volume in hotel mode is the best option, but unfortunately, the mode is usually hidden, like hornydragon says, in the service menu.

Did the trick myself this year in the dining room TV at my workplace. Some people would set the thing at maximum, quite annoying, so I googled for Grundig service menu, and set the max volume to half. People blame the remote but all is going well now :clap:

Jimlad

Standard Member
amorenod said:
Setting the max volume in hotel mode is the best option, but unfortunately, the mode is usually hidden, like hornydragon says, in the service menu.

Did the trick myself this year in the dining room TV at my workplace. Some people would set the thing at maximum, quite annoying, so I googled for Grundig service menu, and set the max volume to half. People blame the remote but all is going well now :clap:
amorenod

Have just spent last 2 hours trying to get a lead on how to get into the service/hotel menu but failed miserably. If you or anyone can help the TV is a Ferguson FTV28WN1 bought Jan 05

Thanks

Jimlad

amorenod

Novice Member
From what I've gathered, looks like Fergurson share the service menu (maybe more than that) from Thomson TVs.

Jimlad

Standard Member
amorenod said:
From what I've gathered, looks like Fergurson share the service menu (maybe more than that) from Thomson TVs.
Thanks amorenod,
Will do a Google when I get back later today. D:lease: o you know what model number of Thomson I would search on?

Thanks
Jimlad

Jimlad

Standard Member
amorenod said:
No idea, but here are 3 different ways to access it:

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brandspecific/thomson/thomson_servicemenu.html

If you dare to try, WRITE all the values before changing, a wrong setup in the service menu can render the tv useless.
Thanks amorenod.

You just scared the POO out of me! I will try to get more info from the label on the set to see if I can locate which it is Ferguson or disguised Thomson when I visit tomorrow. When you say write down all the values. Will there be only one screen worth or are there likely to be many.?

Jimlad:oops:

amorenod

Novice Member
Sorry, I meant the values you change, if any. And yes, lots of menus is very likely

EDIT

Maybe you'll find options understandable by its name, maybe not. At the slightest shadow of doubt, desist.

Jimlad

Standard Member
Hi,

Visted my Aunt today. Got the following details off the label on the back of the TV (note I have included everything just incase it's important)

TV type: Ferguson FTV 28WN1.

Serial number: 5646028.

A symbol which is a square within a square followed by:
10028 196[0408] 400 608.

11AK37 followed by: 10028196 0408.

Hope this information helps in leading me to find out how to display the secret/hotel menu?:confused:

Jimlad

Standard Member
amorenod said:
Then, none of the 3 ways worked?[/QUOTE

Something odd has happened in that I can't see the your previouse response where you gave me a code/method to access the menu the I advised you about my way forward see below??
You came back and told me the TV was made in Turkey. I said I had Googled to find the hidden/hotel menu (noting that the 11AK37 brought up Bush TV) but no lead to the code. You gave me a way/code but it is not coming up on the thread on this Forum. Would you please repeat it again please?
I advised I would not be visiting my Aunt for about a month and would try your code assuming another one is not found in the meantime. I said I would ensure I note all before and after parameters to ensure I could return to the status quo should I need to, fingers crossed. I am not sure whether you saw the above and the relevance of your comment, as I have not tried to change her TV. If it were to malfunction she would be without her only form of entertainment as she is house bound So I want to have a fair degree of confidence I won't mess up!

Jimlad

Jimlad

Standard Member
amorenod said:
Eh? Never mentioned Turkey. Anyway, 3 ways to try here:

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brandspecific/thomson/thomson_servicemenu.html

You'll never get a 100% guaranteed answer, as a service menu is not supossed to be used by us. My only advice is to try it with respect, but not fear.

EDIT

Perhaps you should arrange an engineer visit, as you have an important motive to activate hotel mode.
:oops:
I am getting as bad as my Aunt. I just realised I was on another Forum trying to get the code. So all that rubbish was to do with TV forums.com sorry.

As it may be of interest the post said

"The 11AK37 tells me this is a Turkish Vestel chassis.If you have looked in all customer menus and found no hotel mode then press "menu,4725" which should take you to the service menu from where you can use the navigation buttons on the remote to scroll through the options to see if there is hotel mode to preset the max volume. if you cant see it its not there as all sets did not have this option.memorize any adjustments you make by pressing standby"

Sorry again

Jimlad

Trending threads

Latest threads

Top Bottom