Locking down and child monitoring on iPhone

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other half had got her daughter an iPhone
She is at secondary school and needs a phone and has an iPad which she looks after and takes care of so iPhone seemed logically choice

However we want to try and restrict and monitor and keep her safe

Is there a simple explanation of what we can do and how

Some of things would be

Restricting hours phone can be used. So not between maybe 9 and 7 weekdays and 10 and 7 on weekends

Possibly monitoring of text messages ? (Maybe)

Knowing location. Not for constant monitoring but to see where she may be if goes out for an hour etc.

Thanks.

Apples ‘screen time’ features can assist with restricting use/time and also location sharing - don’t believe you can see their messages though. see this thread also - iPhone help needed

As the parent in an iOS family, you can edit screen time settings for each different child and lock with a pin so child cant go in and change them.

Last edited:
Cheers.
Will,have a read of that.

Think ideally would just be restricting the hours in can be used between ( not able to be used during “bedtime” )

However would be handy if despite those restrictions she could still call and be called by her mum and / or dad (emergencies etc.)

The other thing really need is some sort of tracking. Is there a good one that my partner can locate her with easily should it ever be needed ?

You can do loads within screen time, allow certain apps only between certain hours and limit time per app, so can keep phone active 24hrs but limit other apps.

Find my iPhone is apples tracking, you can set up the child’s phone to share its location with the parent - and if lost, use parents phone to help locate the phone. Need to ensure child can’t turn off location sharing, been through that with my teen and learnt eventually how to stop them doing it (see my reply in that linked thread).

Yes that can all be setup, if you make a family group you can set everything up like you want and administer from the adult phone

You can do loads within screen time, allow certain apps only between certain hours and limit time per app, so can keep phone active 24hrs but limit other apps.

Find my iPhone is apples tracking, you can set up the child’s phone to share its location with the parent - and if lost, use parents phone to help locate the phone. Need to ensure child can’t turn off location sharing, been through that with my teen and learnt eventually how to stop them doing it (see my reply in that linked thread).

Thanks. All very much appreciated.
We had been told something about something called 365 that also did tracking but not sure on that

Thanks. All very much appreciated.
We had been told something about something called 365 that also did tracking but not sure on that

The built-in software should be fine (apart from reading texts) for what you have described; no point in putting some other software on there. "Find My" App will work for location tracking.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom