Locked inside Mrs C's car...

Chadford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently I found myself locked in Mrs C's car (Mercedes SLK250)...

We had parked up at a supermarket car park, Mrs C was driving and she wanted to pop into the store to buy a bottle of wine. I stayed inside the car, she unnecessarily locked the car, obviously on 'autopilot' at the time.

I found I couldn't get out. Every time I moved the alarm would go off, I couldn't open the doors or windows. Not a problem in this instance as Mrs C returned after a few minutes.

Anyone know of a way to unlock the car from inside in this sort of situation?

Thanks,

:)

Last edited:
Clearly designed to prevent someone gaining access through a small aperture (open or smashed window) to unlock and open the doors.
Do you possess a second key to the car, if you have it on you could you still be locked in?

Do you possess a second key to the car, if you have it on you could you still be locked in?

Probably not, I'll give that a try.

However the spare car key was on my bunch of keys with my phone in my jacket locked in the boot.

:facepalm:

Probably not, I'll give that a try.

However the spare car key was on my bunch of keys with my phone in my jacket locked in the boot.

:facepalm:
Centre arm-rest with access to the boot?

Centre arm-rest with access to the boot?

Don't think so, I'm sure the boot is not accessible from the front, It's a very small car inside, there simply isn't room behind the seats for this sort of thing.

Sounds like deadlocks are enabled by default. No way to open though from the inside. You’ll have to smash out a window or get the key.

Sounds like deadlocks are enabled by default. No way to open though from the inside. You’ll have to smash out a window or get the key.
I'm sure he's out now ;) and has hopefully learned if nothing else, to pop open his door a little so when his wife tries to lock it, it will refuse, and to keep his phone with so he can call her if she leaves for a longer errand.

Happens to children all the time. They learn to sit still and wait.

Recently I found myself locked in Mrs C's car (Mercedes SLK250)...

We had parked up at a supermarket car park, Mrs C was driving and she wanted to pop into the store to buy a bottle of wine. I stayed inside the car, she unnecessarily locked the car, obviously on 'autopilot' at the time.

I found I couldn't get out. Every time I moved the alarm would go off, I couldn't open the doors or windows. Not a problem in this instance as Mrs C returned after a few minutes.

Anyone know of a way to unlock the car from inside in this sort of situation?

Thanks,

My Skoda Superb has this and a warning comes up every time I switch off the car and take the keys out. When you lock the car it activates the alarm and deadlocks and disables all internal door locks, door opening handles and electric window/sunroof (if fitted) and boot/hatch release or opener controls.

I can disable it with some complicated button presses and lock the car once with locking being more ‘traditional’ and no internal alarm activated. It will then default back to being on the next time. I can’t be bothered learning what the button presses are so if I lock my other half or kids in the car it is their bad luck. They’d better have a way to contact me to let them out before the air supply runs out :devil::D

Edit - to answer your question - you can’t once you are locked in and the system wasn’t disabled before the locking in happened.

There are no overrides whatsoever on offer (in the Superb at any rate hence the warning about the system every time you remove the keys).

If his keys were in the boot then,the keys were not removed,you would have thought that the car would not have locked

Perhaps it’s not a keyless entry system :)

...not keyless, the keys look like this...

o71u2a.jpg

I can disable the locks and interior alarm in the car's setup menu. It can, however, only be done when the ignition is switched on. Jumping out and taking the keys with you doesn't seem to be an option. We have to disable the internal alarm when we leave the dog in the car in the winter. Previous VW group vehicles we've had just had a button usually in the B pillar which was much easier. All very well if you remember to do it.

Previous VW group vehicles we've had just had a button usually in the B pillar which was much easier. All very well if you remember to do it.
Yup if you remember - last cross channel ferry ride I forgot on the way out and discovered my GTi had been screaming all the way to France. Found the button on the way back ;)

(No one left in the car obviously!)

Sounds like it could be a potential safety issue to me, I know it's a bit of a long shot, but what if the car had been involved in an accident, even though parked up, or had spontaneously caught fire?

I seem to recall someone mentioning to me that if you pull an internal handle a few times in quick succession that the door should open?
Reasoning being that someone inside might pull at the internal handle in a panic...
Used to work on all my Vauxhalls, deadlocked or not

That sounds like a risk in an accident.

After the accident it may well not be driving.

On mine the Safelock is only operated by the remote. The car doesn’t lock or unlock when driving.

Pretty sure that where cars lock when driving it is old fashioned locking and in an accident it unlocks.

The feature where the locks don’t work is only when the car is locked when stationary. The person locking it must remember the feature and not lock the car if people or pets are inside.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom