Locked all of my car keys in the boot of my car

Inked

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhh!

Sorry, need to scream.
Locksmith on his way as roadside assist would have had to either force a rear light out or break a window.

My wife did this a couple of months ago when we were out on a family trip. Had to get my parents to drive 50 odd miles to go to my house and pick the spare key up so that we could get back into the car.

Coming back to Birmingham airport with 1 year old in the car seat, I locked my keys in the boot of a 3 series. I put the keys down to load in the luggage and must have hit the lock button. Shut boot oops. Just no way into boot on an e46 had to get out locksmith via rac.

Luckily I had left back door open so baby was not locked in car phew

I did this first day on holiday in Florida.

I've done this before too, very annoying when you realise.

My new car doesn't let you do this, if they keys are in the boot and you close it the boot pops open and the indicators flash..

Coming back to Birmingham airport with 1 year old in the car seat, I locked my keys in the boot of a 3 series. I put the keys down to load in the luggage and must have hit the lock button. Shut boot oops. Just no way into boot on an e46 had to get out locksmith via rac.

Pretty much what I did this evening, was loading the boot on the driveway and put my key down in it while putting the last couple of bags in. Unfortunately for me the spare key and the emergency key were both in my bag within the boot as I had not got around to separating them. Silly mistake.

Thankfully, I am pleased to report that the locksmith managed to get the car open and I was able to get to the boot via the rear seats (which thankfully were not locked).

Luckily I had left back door open so baby was not locked in car phew

hahaha I can imagine you trying to explain that one to your missues!

Hi dear, I locked myself out of the car will be late.
That's Ok hun, is &^%$£% alright?
Yeah.... erm.... well........ white lie time.. :rotfl:

And Inked, dear oh dear, but I can't talk, on my Rover coupe in Tesco once I did the exact same thing, just popped the boot put the keys in there loaded boot and shut... luckily it had pillarless doors so an air bag pumped the window open just enough for the RAC chappy to pop the locks and set the alarm off haha.

Anyway glad you got it sorted.

I knew someone who mislaid their car keys whilst shopping, but had left medication in the car.
It was a people carrier with the rearmost side windows hinged opening like those on most three-door cars, one of these had been left in the open position. A simple trick allowed us to open it further, sufficient to insert a monkey or small child (the latter was available:devil:) to unlock the car from inside.

I did this in Devon on a family holiday a few years back. I was loading my boys push chair into the boot of my Polo and only unlocked the boot, put the keys down to do some shuffling around and before I realised the boot was closed and no way in. My father-in-law (****) sat there laughing saying 'what you gonna do now' I had no AA it was 9 o clock in the evening, baby needed to go to bed and no spare key. I asked my FIL if I could borrow his car and drive back to Leicester (250 miles at my cost) and get my spare key he laughed at me said no told my Mrs to get into his car with our baby and drove them back to the caravan park and pretty much left me at the side of the road.
Unbeknown to me a guy and his wife were parked a couple of cars up from me eating fish n chips, he wound down his window a little further and asked if I was OK, he told me he heard everything and that he also thought my FIL was a ****. He then began to offer me a lift to get my spare key, I told him I lived in Leicester and that was out of the question. 'No worries' he said and told me it wouldn't be a problem. This was a complete stranger offering to drive me 250 miles (500 mile round trip) at 9 at night to say I was a little dumbfounded and slightly worried was an understatement but beggars cant be choosers.
Anyway to cut a long story short he drove me home and back in around 8 hours and I coughed up £130 for his trouble although he only wanted enough to cover his fuel.
Faith in Mankind fully restored after this sequence of events.

Sounds like you have a great FIL there!!!!! Surely your wife must have said something? Why would you behave like that to your own family, just do not understand it.
Full credit to the stranger for offering the lift. I would have probably offered to put a brick through the window for you!!!!!!! (you could have kept the brick for the FIL when you got back then).

Sounds like you have a great FIL there!!!!! Surely your wife must have said something? Why would you behave like that to your own family, just do not understand it.
Full credit to the stranger for offering the lift. I would have probably offered to put a brick through the window for you!!!!!!! (you could have kept the brick for the FIL when you got back then).
He is now an ex-FIL, we split not long after this all happened. I'm not sure why he acted like such an arse hole, I suppose we never really got on that well he's a boring old fart, completely anti-social and just not that much of a nice guy, you'd understand if you ever had the unfortunate pleasure of meeting him.
As for my Mrs (ex) she was torn as the baby was crying and needed to go to bed but she obviously wanted to make sure I was OK. I pretty much just told them to go and I'd figure it out.
The guy who drove me to fetch my spare key (Jim) was a diamond fella, I still have his number and we send random texts to each other every now and then.

Friend had a similar thing happen recently in his Z4, he phoned me...

Him - "I've locked my keys in the car, any idea's what I can do?"

Me - "Why don't you get someone to grab your spare set?"

Him - "They're locked in the boot......"

:rotfl::facepalm:

been there done that.

Locked them in the boot of my 5 series as you could click to just pop the boot open (i.e not the rest of the car), put the keys down next to my camera bag, changed camera lens and then shut boot. Walked away from the car and instantly realised what I had done.

Down side was - we were on the Isle of Arran for the weekend. So despite the best efforts of a local guy trying to get into the car without damaging, he had to run me to the ferry port, ferry across to Ardrossan, train to prestwick, taxi to house, spare keys, and same all the way back. Took 6 hours out of my Saturday! Still not lived it down.

Behind the rear armrest in the centre, is a panel which is only pop-riveted in, easily removed :thumbsup:

Must gave been common enough problem in the US, Ford/Lincoln/Mercury having long had the option of a numeric keypad by the driver's door handle, I had this on both my Thunderbirds.
This could lock/unlock the doors, operate the boot release, set the anti-hijack mode and set a user code in addition to the fixed one.
Great if you're going to the beach as you can hide your keys in the car and not worry about leaving them unattended or losing them in the sand.
Also passengers could return to the car to load shopping or wait inside for the driver without being able to "accidentally" start it.

Behind the rear armrest in the centre, is a panel which is only pop-riveted in, easily removed :thumbsup:

interestingly I did see that but wasn't sure how to get it out, and if I had I still wasn't sure I could get to the keys and the luggage would be in the way.

I did something just as bad had me scratching my head on how to get into the boot.
It was a BMW and I had to take the seat out to retrieve something. You have to disconnect the battery as there is an airbag in the seat and you need to disconnect a wire.
Anyway seat back in now and I have to go inside the house for something so I shut the boot. Yep that's right I never reconnected the battery!!
So I'm locked out of the boot with no way in, no keyhole or entry via the inside it can only be opened with the remote fob which of course doesn't work as there's no power!
After much googling I found I could maybe open it with a battery charger. Had to take the wife's car and go and buy one.
The BMW has posts under the bonnet for charging so connected it up and crossed my fingers and pressed the boot release on the remote.....to my relief it clicked open and I could then connect up the battery again.... numpty!

I've never done it before but a friend did in his MX5. Turns out its a lot, lot easier to deal with.

Under the boot of an MX5 is a 3" rubber gromet. Take it out, fingers in and they will discover that there's a ridge. Gently apply pressure and a 6" diameter section will magically screw out. Then reach in and pull the manual boot release.. Voila!

Bet this gets deleted!

I've never done it before but a friend did in his MX5. Turns out its a lot, lot easier to deal with.
Bet this gets deleted!
Don't see why, opening the boot of a small convertible is hardly the easiest route to stealing one.

I was with a friend who did the same in his 3 series once it was horrible. Had to call a locksmith open the door. Took him an hour to get to me and spent another hour trying to open the door.

download the "my BMW remote" app ( official ) to your phone and as long as you have phone reception you have full control of lock & unlocking !

I did this once on my JagXF. Keys were in a bag in the boot, fortunately the car was cleverer than me and detected the keys and popped the boot back open automatically.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom