Lock your doors

Jenn

Now, there's no need to panic or anything!!

But even when you're at home or when your partner and/or children are, remember to lock the doors, especially at this time of year.

The reason I say this is because with Christmas coming and the current difficult economic times, there may me more opportunistic thieves around.

I was reminded of that yesterday when my husband went out for 30 minutes. While going out he let me know he was leaving the door unlocked so I locked it myself.
Ten minutes later I was in the lounge with our 3 year old son, just talking when we both heard the front door handle (he turned his head to look). I looked and saw through the glass that the outside light was on (on a sensor) but my husband wasn't stood there.
I looked outside the window and the car wasn't there, however the gate that you have to go through before getting to our front door was left open and there was no one around.

Now this could have had another explaination but I couldn't help but think if I hadn't locked the door and it was indeed someone trying their luck, what would have happened?

So... Don't panic, but lock your doors :)

Iccz

Distinguished Member
I can never understand why people leave their doors unlocked, we always lock our front and back doors - the back door stays unlocked, sometimes open in the summer but only when there is someone out there.

travid

Just a hint, especially during the summer, when mowing the back garden, always lock the doors. Perfect opportunity for the sneak theif to use the noise as cover.

Hardly realevant at the moment though:D

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
I always lock my door as when I was kid at my mates house his mum left her handbag in the kichen. Me and my mate was in the 'kids room' which was bang next to the kichen.
I went to get some drinks and there was a really skinny pale bloke in the kitchen just leaving with the handbag. Now I was only 7 but I shouted 'Oi put that back'. He just laughed and ran off with the bag. His mum came running though, too late of course and was in floods of tears.
I never did bring myself to go back to his house.
The police was called but as far as I can remember they never did catch the bloke.

Last year I went to my mums house, her back door leads into her living room. I was sorting out a wall bracket for her tv when the back door handle got rattled. Thinking it was just me I ignored it.
Turns out 3 houses down from her a copper lives there and the same thing happened to him, some yob was going from door to door hopping over fences to the next house if they didnt have any luck.
Now this lad was caught though I dont no the outcome of what happened.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Lots of new doors now can't be opened from the outside without a key - they have a handle and look normal, and the handle is functional, but it isn't enough to open from the outside.

Kind of annoying as you always need a key even to get something out of your car (if you don't want to leave the door open if it's howling a gale) but useful for the above.

qwerty321

"Hide your wife, Hide your kids" :D

Our front and side door are unlocked most the time but have the handles that don't let you open them from the outside unless you have a key.

Ruperts slippers

Distinguished Member
Just a hint, especially during the summer, when mowing the back garden, always lock the doors. Perfect opportunity for the sneak theif to use the noise as cover.

Hardly realevant at the moment though:D
Reminds me of the time we went rounds to my mates dads house who was a chief inspector at the time ,he had his mower plugged into his garage socket,when he came back round to unplug the mower 4 lads were riding off down the road on the family bikes lol..

cdm22

I can never understand why people leave their doors unlocked, we always lock our front and back doors - the back door stays unlocked, sometimes open in the summer but only when there is someone out there.
Exactly!

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
"Hide your wife, Hide your kids" :D

Our front and side door are unlocked most the time but have the handles that don't let you open them from the outside unless you have a key.
be a bit careful of these as well though, my friend locked himself out when we were kids so we found a bike lock, hand through the letter box and hooked it on the inside handle and wallah we were back in his house. If you aren't about always double lock it properly

zebredy

Well I live in a flat and have two front doors to go through, with our main door to our specific flat having one of those locks where you need a key to get in from the outside.

Wall mounting the TV on the weekend, and that will be right opposite the main living room windows. With it being a ground floor flat, won't be leaving the curtains open to often.

Stupid thing, even though the main shared door to all the flats is locked, you can get in via that door just by pressing a button from (don't quote me here) 8-12 each morning, so that people like the postman can get through. I can see why they set it like that, but doesn't stop anyone without a key having a nose around the main hallways. I know many people keep bikes etc in the hallways..

Last edited:

Jenn

We too always lock the doors but it has happened that my husband or I leave the house just to go round to the local little shop for bread or whatever and don't lock the door from the outside, relying on the other half to lock it.
Sometimes it can be a few minutes until the other half gets round to locking the door. I imagine some people do that too or don't worry for the 10 minutes the partner is gone and that's all it takes.

We had the gate at the front put in because a couple of years ago I could have sworn I saw someone walking past the front door (which is actually on the side of the house). I told my husband and at that same moment I saw the figure go back the other way so "stupidely" I went out by myself but I must have been too slow as I didn't see anyone.

Smudger14

My back door is unlocked from when the first person leaves the house for work, until the last person arrives home from work. But there's pretty much someone in my house all the time. So if anyone tried their luck in getting in, they'd have to go through a gate which makes a racket when opened.

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
worrying thing is the house we lived in until recently the guy we lived with is useless and has actually managed to go out and leave the front door open, leave his keys in the lock and leave the back door open for a week before we noticed. Luckily no one ever tried their luck as we live in a park thats locked off at night but still it annoyed me as even if we had insurance and stuff we would have never gota pay out because the door was open

Now we've moved and live in a huge alarmed house, to get in to our flat there's the locked doors to the flat and the locked doors to the building plus many alarmed doors between the entrances and our flat and always someone in the main house so in theory it should be damn hard for them to get in unnoticed. On the down side in the summer the house is open to the public so they will come round but there should always bea person stationed outside the corridoor our flat is off to stop people straying in to our living room

KhalJimbo

worrying thing is the house we lived in until recently the guy we lived with is useless and has actually managed to go out and leave the front door open, leave his keys in the lock and leave the back door open for a week before we noticed. Luckily no one ever tried their luck as we live in a park thats locked off at night but still it annoyed me as even if we had insurance and stuff we would have never gota pay out because the door was open

Now we've moved and live in a huge alarmed house, to get in to our flat there's the locked doors to the flat and the locked doors to the building plus many alarmed doors between the entrances and our flat and always someone in the main house so in theory it should be damn hard for them to get in unnoticed. On the down side in the summer the house is open to the public so they will come round but there should always bea person stationed outside the corridoor our flat is off to stop people straying in to our living room
Jeez, where do you live? On a National Trust Property?!

qwerty321

The neighbour can be a bit dozy sometimes. At least 3 or 4 times he has left his keys in the lock and shut the door for the side door.

The thought of getting his car, park it in the next street and then handing the keys back has crossed my mind.

Flimber

Distinguished Member
A PCSO was telling my Missus only last week that local crims were now using some sort of lockpicking device which is very good at getting past eurocylinder locks. I didn't know they could be easily picked and I'm not saying that these devices haven't been around for yonks but they're evidently in use in our area where most people probably have standard-issue UPVC dooors and they'll mostly have a Eurocylinder lock installed. Result is that there've been some very easy burglaries near us and our front door doesn't just rely on the cylinder anymore :)

Mike.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
It was unthinkable then, too. The 25-30 years quotation is infinitely regressible.
Every regression needs a terminating case - in this case, the last cave-man + 25 years :)

be a bit careful of these as well though, my friend locked himself out when we were kids so we found a bike lock, hand through the letter box and hooked it on the inside handle and wallah we were back in his house. If you aren't about always double lock it properly
The other gotcha which happened to a friend of mine is if you leave the key in the lock on the inside, go out and shut the door, that's it - your stuffed. You can't open the door from the outside without a key, but if the key is in the lock from the inside you can't get a key in from the outside. Game over.

travid

I sometimes leave the front door unlocked when I go to the pub.
Just so the kids can get out if there's a fire.
Same as me, except I always visit my drug dealer before trooping home:thumbsup::thumbsup:

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member

the whistler

It's not just doors you need to think about. A few years ago when we lived in a bungalow my daughter had left her handbag on her bed and the small bedroom window was open. Someone managed to reach in with a stick and lift the bag from the bed and through the window. So if you do leave windows open in unattended rooms, make sure nothing valuable is in easy reach.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
And tell your kids not to do what a mate's lad did the other Christmas. He left a big note selotaped to the front door saying-

Mam and Dad. Gone down town with the lads. Door key is under the mat

:facepalm:

jenam93

Just been round a friends house and the silly mare had left her house keys (with car keys attached) in the front door and her car's parked right next to it. :rolleyes:

Some people eh!

I used to know people that would purposefully leave their house unlocked. Their reason being if someone needed to nick stuff they were obviously worse off than themselves so they could have it.

Mind you, they never had anything really worth nicking......

Dave

Distinguished Member
I only lock my doors at night and then I leave the key in as if there was a fire we'd all die trying to find the keyhole in the dark.

I also never lock my car, ever. The locks are bust so I can lock it but not unlock it.

You can get all OCD about security if you like but the reality is that with some very simple precautions your chance of being a victim of crime are very very small.

Trending threads

Latest news

2019 Emmy wins for Sky TV shows
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
BritBox adds Channel 5 and Comedy Central to roster
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 23rd Sept - Spears and Munsil
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier