Location of Amp?

WalshG

Standard Member
I am trying to plan out a home cimena set up in my lounge.
The plan is to have the screen on the wall and all cabling through the cavity (or trunking) to a cabinet on a different wall.

I presume if I have an AV amp in the cabinet I can switch all of the sources through the amp and run one HDMI cable to the TV? Any idea how long this cable can be?
I intend to put an IR repeater from somewhere near the TV to the cabinet to perform the control. Do any TV's have IR out that I could use rather than installing another IR receiver?

Any thoughts or experience appreciated and this is before I start to choose TV, Amp and speakers!

mbell

Novice Member
I presume if I have an AV amp in the cabinet I can switch all of the sources through the amp and run one HDMI cable to the TV? Any idea how long this cable can be?

You presume correctly. Check out the following reference on HDMI cable lengths:
HDMI :: Resources :: FAQ

Bodgit

This sounds familiar, I'm planning somthing like this myself, TV in lounge / AV rack in garage beneath,and intend to use the Keene IR over RF system then I'm not tied to using sky kit. I am probably going to use an HDMI cable of between 5 and 7m in length, but will test it all first before install, and as a safety net ,I'll run 2 cat6 cables (to maybe use with HDMI over cat5/6 balons ) and also some component video cables,as a just in case.
Usually you get what you pay for, and I guess I'll look for a reasonable cost cable ,as cheap HDMI will give drop out over certain lenghts.
Have never personally seen IR out on a tv.
Hope some of this helps.

WalshG

Standard Member
Thanks for the info.

After Saturday in the HI-Fi shops my initial thoughts for the amp and speakers:
Onkyo TX NR807
2 x Rear Speakers: Focal Custom IC 108 (In-Ceiling)
3 x Front Speakers: Focal Custom IW 106 (In-Wall)
I will then take the floor out of the cabinet and have Sub Woofer REL T2 standing on the floor inside the cabinet

At the moment between the cabinet and the TV I plan to have :
HDMI
Audio (Back from TV to Amp)
Telephone cable for IR
Cat 5E (in-case)

To the TV:
I will run Satellite cable for Freeview
Co-ax to Aerial
Power

To the Cabinet:
Cat 5E from home network
Aerial for FM Radio
Power
Speaker Cables

No to choose a TV!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom