1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

location free TV

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by richard plumb, Apr 20, 2005.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,015
    Has anyone seen this? Its a small LCD screen (either 7" wide or 12" 4:3) which has built in wifi. It comes with a companion base station which you connect to your sky/freeview box (well, Japanese/US equivalent). You can then take the TV *anywhere in the world* and tune into programs at home.

I'm curious about its potential for eg installing one in a relative's house in Japan and being able to watch Japanese TV in the UK. I guess the screen is a littlesmall, but it might be able to output to a larger one.

Not cheap, but the only other option is a second satellite installation for £400 + £30 a month for JSTV which is just NHK news mostly.

Just curious if anyones seen one in action?

2. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Ive not seen one, but it sounds very interesting. The problem you will have though, is wherever you take it you will need access to a bloody fast internet connection available to stream live TV. Might not be a problem nowadays receiving it, but the connection in your relatives house is going to have to have an extremely fast upload speed. (Something which is not offered in UK at least, but i dont know the state of play in Japan)
    It could turn out more costly per month than satellite paying out for such a connection, and then of course you could run into reliability problems with it. Even with the most expensive business type connection you or your relative can afford, the latency from Japan to UK could still be high enough to cock it all up.
    Have you got a link to this product? Definatley sounds pretty smart.