Question Locating entertainment system Centrally

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by ydraiggoch, Jul 7, 2015.

1. ydraiggoch

ydraiggoch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm about to start some home renovations (Extension etc) which will give me a new Living Room & Kitchen. In order for me to mount the Tvs on the wall and have no cables on show etc I was thinking of having a central location for my BluRay Player / FreeSat Box etc. But am unsure what I need or what is best.

My plan would be to have the 2 Tvs (L/Room & Kitchen able to access and control either box (luRay & Freesat)

So what is best to use for this? HDMI Splitter? Magic Eyes for remote control? What about the sound?

Is distance an issue? I would expect the cable runs to be over 5m to each tv.

Feeling slightly confused.......

Cheers

2. 28061

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Lots of posts RE this sort of stuff in the 'building your own' section of the forum.

I'm doing the same thing: placing all my kit in a custom rack upstairs, with AV distribution throughout the rest of the house (Living room, kitchen and four bedrooms).

If your on a low budget, have short distances or have no future expansion plans (or all three), then you may possibly get away with it by using standard HDMI cables (Short distances only) - and a cheap IR repeater and HDMI splitters. It'd be messy though and not one I'd have huge confidence with.

You haven't mentioned using an AV receiver, so I assume you don't have one? Ideally, an AV receiver with two outputs would be ideal. You could then distribute the HDMI without a splitter over cat 6 using HDBaseT, which has integrated IR. This will give you a far better, robust, reliable and tidy system and will ensure that the HDMI standard feature set are available - this is my plan and has lots of great reviews from very happy AVF members!

Have a scan through the build your own section of the forum and take note of all the people who regretted choosing the sub-optimal options!

Good luck!

3. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    As above between rooms i would always recommend HDMI over Cat6 rather than HDMI cable, and HDBaseT extenders though cost more will be worth it than the low cost dual Cat6 versions

4. ydraiggoch

ydraiggoch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, Apologies for bringing this one back up again. But I am struggling to get this one in my head..I must be getting old :(

So, as I understand it, its best to go for HDMI over Cat6 due to the distances required. I get that much. But how do I do this. My AV gear (Sky, Bluray etc) will be located in a spare bedroom built in wardrobe. So Am I right in saying I need to put all HDMI outputs from these devices to a converter of sorts (HDBaseT??) which converts to Cat6. Then run the cables to each TV and fit a converter to return it to HDMI? Or am I missing something?

How does the remote control work in this case? What about sound? As I want a Soundbar for the main TV and am happy with the built in speaker for the other then I guess sound should't be an issue?

My renovations will be starting soon, so really need to get my head around what I need so I can run in the right cables whilst the build is happening. Any Links, information etc is greatly appreciated!!

5. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    You have it spot on but you need a Matrix that has enough HDMI inputs for each of your sources (Sky, BluRay etc) and enough outputs for each of your TVS (the outputs are Cat6).

Then at the TV end you would use receivers to convert back to HDMI.

The same Cat6 also carries the IR signal from the TV location back to the matrix and on to the sources.

HDMI carries audio as well as video so that isnt a problem, at the TV with a soundbar depending on the model you would either connect the reeciver to this via HDMI or if no HDMI input on the soundbar connect the HDMI to teh TV and then a optical output from the tV to the Sounbar.

HDBaseT matrix come in various sizes starting at 4x4 and going up to 16x16, they usually include the receivers (well ours do).

HDBaseT Matrixes
    http://store.aclasstechnology.com/hdbaset-265-c.asp

6. ydraiggoch

ydraiggoch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh great, so I'm not far away from understanding this now, thanks!

I just looked at your kit and have to say, Its a bit more expensive than I thought it would be ~£1500 for a 4 x 4 which is probably what I need. Although only require 2 channels at this time (Blu-Ray & Sat Box)

I appreciate that you obviously sell these, but what is the major advantage of your equipment over this for example;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro®-Ext...90&sr=1-10&keywords=HDMI+to+CAT6+IR+convertor

Many thanks

7. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    The one you link to is HDMI over IP not HDBaseT so it will compress the signal and also have some latency (delay). No 3D support

Also if you want to setup a system like that as a matrix system (ie not just one to one) you will need a Managed Gigabit Network switch and some networking knowledge.

HDBaseT is uncompressed HDMI over single Cat5/6

8. ydraiggoch

ydraiggoch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your responses Sebastian. My only concern over the product you are referring to is the cost. I don't really want to have to spend £1500 on something which only has the benefit of hiding the AV equipment. Although its interesting to note that the option I have found compresses the signal.
    I was speaking to a guy at my work who has done the same thing as what I am trying to achieve. He has just used long (20m) HDMI cables with a splitter and connected a magic eye for the remote. He tells me it works fine.
    What would be the advantage / disadvantage of this against using a HDMI to Cat 6 Extender as above? (I would probably look at using a switch for the second TV).

Thanks

9. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Cables over 8M for HDMI can be problematic, again they may well work but are not recommended.

Magic eyes work over Coax so you will need to run this as well, and can be tricky with multiple TVs and sources.