Local election results

BBC saying -848 now

Friday just keeps getting better! :laugh:

Tax hikes are already on the way, that is already happening. My council is expected 15% over the next few years.

I appreciate these are terrible results for the Tories, and I'm pleased about that.

But in the graphic above of the results, they alone have more than double the seats of the Libdems.

How is this really a sea change? Add in labour and the pro remain parties were outvoted comprehensively with three times as many seats won.

I appreciate these are terrible results for the Tories, and I'm pleased about that.

But in the graphic above of the results, they alone have more than double the seats of the Libdems.

How is this really a sea change? Add in labour and the pro remain parties were outvoted comprehensively with three times as many seats won.

Fair point about Conservative still being the majority, but to compare them against Lib Dems, yesterday they had nearly 7x more seats so only having just over 2x today (at the moment at least) is still a huge swing in politics.

upload_2019-5-3_16-26-29.png

In Thanet early indications is the old Ukip vote is going to Labour.

But with 30% turn out compared to 71% four years ago its poor.

Most round here are waiting for May 23rd

But with 30% turn out compared to 71% four years ago its poor.
That vote was paired with a General Election though. The commentators are saying that across the board turnout is much of a muchness for Council only elections.

My council still not posted. Looks like it is going to remain blue with a bit more yellow and a splash of green.

It’s hard to compare change though as there are quite a few more seats, parishes I have never heard of - maybe to do with all the housing development that has been going on over the last few years.

Cheers,

Nigel

We didn't have any local elections, they couldn't manage to host elections and question time on the same night. The council (labour) are probably happy as they could have lost a few seats.

That vote was paired with a General Election though. The commentators are saying that across the board turnout is much of a muchness for Council only elections.

It's an area that normally has 40% + turnouts for local elections. 12% down from 8 years ago.

Predict that the turn out on 23rd will be 70% plus

It still annoys me that the MPs talk about Brexit as a problem that has happened to them, like they are the victims, rather than a problem that they created and are allowing to fester.

Cheers,

Nigel

It's an area that normally has 40% + turnouts for local elections. 12% down from 8 years ago.

Predict that the turn out on 23rd will be 70% plus

I predict that there will be NO turnout at all on the 23rd, as neither the Tories nor Labour will want the humiliation. Brace yourselves for Labour and Tory MPs voting through, in resounding numbers, a Brexit Ultra-light, which will effectively p*** off both Remainers and Exiteers of ALL parties in equal measure.

It still annoys me that the MPs talk about Brexit as a problem that has happened to them, like they are the victims, rather than a problem that they created and are allowing to fester.

Cheers,

Nigel

That is why I only see it going back to the people now. And resistance to that diminishing as time passes.

No way they want to muddy their hands with it anymore. Let us muddy ours with the decision again.

Anyway, at 1100 lost last I looked 10 minutes or so ago. I never thought it would be that bad. May will still try and spin it as a Tory win :laugh:

Mine was a choice by the way of Conservative, Labour, Libs, UKIP and Green.

Short of spoiling my paper, Green was the only option for me. They got trounced, but I think my area will be Labour forever anyway.

I agree with those talking about taking the personality of the candidate over party politics when it comes to local affairs.

The biggy will be on the 23rd. It's gonna be a bloodbath that makes Thrones' "Battle of the Bastards" look like an OAP tea party.
Just say it...go on...I didn't mind saying it the other day...Just type 'I agree with @Bl4ckGryph0n' :D

I agree.

All the main political parties are 'blaming' Brexit for the loss or gain of councils/seats.

They don't seem to realise the voting population know it's not Brexit itself but the handling/spin and dealing with Brexit by the politicians is the cause. They are to blame - all of them.

The Westminster bubble floats away happily ignoring the continuation of massive failures on all sides.

A big change is required.

upload_2019-5-3_19-9-39.png

After 15 years, LibDems finally being trusted with emptying the bins.

As of 8 left to declare.

D5qTPHbW4AIRxeg.jpg

Remarkable that when the Conservative's make that many losses, Labour aren't even making any gains.

Corbyn should be resigning as much as May!

-1334 in the end.

Nothing to do with the PM though :rolleyes:

I think there are quite a few Labour MPS who could take over from Corbyn.
But those who are now front runners to take over from May are controversial figures, making the succession decision difficult in the extreme.

I think there are quite a few Labour MPS who could take over from Corbyn.
But those who are now front runners to take over from May are controversial figures, making the succession decision difficult in the extreme.

Boris has been banned from attending the Tory conference.

-1334 in the end.

Nothing to do with the PM though :rolleyes:
That is significantly worse than they were expecting. The Tories were braced for 800-900 losses and quoted 1000 seats to manage expectations. But the end result was an order of magnitude greater...

Likewise for Labour, they hoped for 400 odd seats but had a net loss of 82. Not as bad as the Tories but still very bad for an Opposition Party.

Well done to the Lib Dems though for breaking the 700 barrier and the Greens must be fairly happy at 265 as well.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom