Local election results

IronGiant

Fake News?
the electoral ward of Malton & Norton doesn't even exist. The results for the 3 real wards that represent those two places are on the Ryedale Council website. The percentage of rejected ballots was about 1%.
Given those fictional figures were circulating on twitter hours before that council had even started counting then its somewhat more than exaggeration.

The elected councillors for the Malton Ward, and the 2 Norton Wards were 2 Independents, 3 Tories and 1 Lib Dem, so those numbers showing Labour got the most genuine votes are meaningless.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Ward doesn't exist as outlined in the original tweet so yep I would say it's made up

Ryedale District Council Election

Cheers
I thought so. There has clearly been a big push by some of those advocating "disillusionment with politics" to try and promote the idea that voters simply didn't turn up and/or spoilt their ballot papers. But the results just don't support that. Taking the example given, even merging Malton and both Norton districts into one, there were only 56 corrupted votes collectively!

For avoidance of doubt, I am not blaming Goooner who was just relaying information in good faith. But it just goes to show how there are ongoing efforts to manipulate the narrative.

Over by there

Pesky Russians.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
I thought so. There has clearly been a big push by some of those advocating "disillusionment with politics" to try and promote the idea that voters simply didn't turn up and/or spoilt their ballot papers. But the results just don't support that. Taking the example given, even merging Malton and both Norton districts into one, there were only 56 corrupted votes collectively!

For avoidance of doubt, I am not blaming Goooner who was just relaying information in good faith. But it just goes to show how there are ongoing efforts to manipulate the narrative.

Would be interesting to see the official figures, if they’re ever published.

Over by there

Returning officers normaly announce the spoiled papers at the end of each count when they declare, it should be a matter of public record.

IronGiant

For avoidance of doubt, I am not blaming Goooner who was just relaying information in good faith.
It's a good example of how AVF works, when it works :). Someone posts something they found, it's shown to be wrong, and they accept it with good grace and the discussion moves forwards :thumbsup:

nheather

Distinguished Member
I do think there is value in a polling card having "non of the above" as an option. Unfortunately politicians do not want to face the realisation that most of them are dick heads regardless of which party they represent.

cheers
I both agree and disagree.

I agree in that I was faced with a ballot paper with no party that I wanted to vote for. Eventually, I decided to add my own NOTA box, but it was a very hard decision - it has spoiled a 37 year perfect voting record - I strongly believe it is an important right to vote and should not be abused - in fact I would like to see mandatory voting as in Australia.

I might disagree though, until I find out what would happen if DOTA won - need to understand that process before I would fully get behind the idea of DOTA.

Cheers,

Nigel

TerFar

Well even in ULTRA conservative Chichester where a donkey wearing the right rosette gets voted into Parliament, to see the Tories lose control was a stunning result. I can't wait for the EU elections!

D

Deleted member 293381

It was just another tweet, I’ll see if I can find it again though.

Had that problem several days ago, spotted two current news articles stating the Polish premier had done a U-turn and was denouncing Brexit and praising the EU. I duly stated this in a post which was quickly spotted and shown to be wrong.

Went back and carried out a search on the 'net to post up a link to prove my point. Could I find either of the two websites - no - vanished. Obviously false news which were subsequently deleted.

I will now take more care :rolleyes: :)

Sonic67

Banned
Would be interesting to see the official figures, if they’re ever published.
They are though it will take a little while to analyse it.

If 'None of the Above' were on the ballot, they'd have won

A large chunk of the electorate didn't vote at all in comparison to General elections and the EU referendum.

So hardly an endorsement of the claim that it was all about a swing to Remain. The Lib Dems are just clawing back to where there were years ago from a low base.

Many wards had only Con/Lab/Lib Dem so those folk who wished to register a protest had 3 choices; 1. Hold your nose and vote Lib Dem. 2. Spoil your ballot paper. 3. Don't bother to vote.

The EU vote in a few weeks will be interesting.

D

Deleted member 433786

The Lib Dems are just clawing back to where there were years ago from a low base.

I do think its more to it than that, for sure the Lib Dems and Greens mopped up the "remain" vote, so its clear the support is still there, but at the same time I agree that without a viable "Brexit" option on the ballot its impossible to draw any conclusion on what it all means.

The EU vote in a few weeks will be interesting.

yep i think so, and rather than looking at seats won it will be better to look at the voting numbers as a whole and which parties got them.

cheers

Sonic67

Banned
The prediction for the local election from the experts. Who got it right?

Peston on Twitter

Screenshot_20190504-182746_Twitter.jpg

Oh.

D

Deleted member 27989

£1200 a year to empty my bins and I have to vote the idiot in to do it!
And even more daft you can have the same bins and the same service yet have to pay three times as much. Such a stupid system.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Yeh but we got to pay those council pensions somehow :D

Over by there

We have yet to have our fun and I bet the Cardiff Bay socialites are really hoping the B word does not reach 2021.

TerFar

So far after 156 or 259 council voting results. View attachment 1146530

Both Conservative and Labour are doing very poorly and the Lib Dems are making huge gains. As far as I've read everywhere, this is due to a backlash against the handling of Brexit, implying that Tories want Brexit to have happened by now and Labour voters would probably want it stopped or 2nd vote.

So my question is- Why have UKIP lost so many places and not cleaned up all the disgruntled Tory voters?

Because Ukip has become unvoteable: poor leaders, poor politics and lack of intelligence. The Brexit party have mopped up most Brexiteers and deserting Tories and Labour voters. Only 17 days until the main parties (including the Libdims) will feel the wrath of voters.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom