Local election results

Cliff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As expected the Conservatives are being punished for the Brexit mess. Labour are also doing very badly. John McDonnel was expecting gains of 400 or so, whereas they have already lost 77 seats!
Spoilt ballot papers - with comments such as 'Brexit?' are doing well.

Overall the biggest winners have been he Lib Dems gaining over 300 seats.
However, although Sir Vince has been blowing is trumpet linking this to the country changing their mind over Brexit, he should be cautious. Many voters who want Brexit voted LibDems because the two main parties have let them down. A local Lib Dem councillor was the best option.
The EU elections are going to be a blood bath!

May and Corbyn take a battering over Brexit at local elections

McDonnell's a buffoon. But I'll have some of whatever he was drinking when he said that!

Glad the two big parties took a beating. I wasn't even gonna vote, but went out late in the end for Green. Made no difference as our area is likely to be Labour forever, but no way I was voting for any of the others.

Whilst I agree that the Lib Dems probably shouldn't get too excited, I'm not completely sure of the benefits behind pro-Brexit voters giving them their vote as a protest against Con/Labour. If I wanted Brexit in any form it wouldn't make sense, in a practical way at least, to vote out local councillors (corrected) for the parties that are still pushing for it. Whilst it maybe feel good temporarily as a protest, in the same way defacing your voting slip, you've just diluted their power further which means Brexit is even less likely to happen, or at least the Brexit you may want.

Arguably, once you get past the protest view, it would make more sense to keep the only parties still (supposedly) pushing for Brexit in a strong regional position.

Last edited:
...although maybe Theresa May could be successful as a local councillor with a bit of luck?

All roughly as expected. Listened to the radio this morning and spoilt ballot papers indeed doing well.:D

Tories probably not doing as bad as some predictions (-1000 Councillors). Labour not doing as good as some predictions. Yada Yada Yada.

Just wait till the Euro Elections:)

30% turnout here, apathy is the word.

This post from Facebook pretty much sums up the feeling round here

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190503_121358_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    Screenshot_20190503_121358_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    815.7 KB · Views: 104
Last time I looked local councils don't have any seats in Parliament...

Sorry, should have said councillor, not MP! I also meant that it gives the party strength as a whole but it's just a thought.

I've not seen the official turnout figures yet. Anyone seen them? Looks as though it was about 30%, but as low as 20% in some areas.

Either way can't imagine they make for good reading.

Edit: Just checked my area, it was 28%

I don’t care too much about national policy when having local elections. I just want the local councillor to be good for my area, and feel comfortable that they have the best local interests. I see no point in punishing good local candidates for the national mess.

Johnson's tweet deleted after 30 seconds, upon it being pointed out that local elections had not taken place in his Greater London constituency ...
Screenshot_20190503-123419_Chrome.jpg

Aides have since claimed he voted in the local elections near his second home in Thame. Yeah, chinny reckon!

I would like to see a big cut off between London and local councils on party lines, more Edward and Tubbs. This morning we have Vince Cable running around claiming they are back, Corbyn blaming the Tory and Lib Dems when they were in power. No idea what May has said yet, probably it was a great win and all the votes are not yet counted and they blew the rest out the water.

I would like to see a big cut off between London and local councils on party lines, more Edward and Tubbs. This morning we have Vince Cable running around claiming they are back, Corbyn blaming the Tory and Lib Dems when they were in power. No idea what May has said yet, probably it was a great win and all the votes are not yet counted and they blew the rest out the water.
I'm sure May will want to make something clear...

She is hiding in North Wales. We don't get any elections in Wales till 2021.
Vote tells MPs get on with Brexit says May
Local election message is to get on with it, she says.

Erm. Anyone pointed out She is in charge?

Cons continue to bomb out and the rest are steadying out on losses. -606 at the moment.

Edit before posting. 682 down.

I don’t care too much about national policy when having local elections. I just want the local councillor to be good for my area, and feel comfortable that they have the best local interests. I see no point in punishing good local candidates for the national mess.

Yeah same here, Liberals got 2 of my X's as they're the only councillors who've shown an interest in some ongoing local issues that are affecting my neighbourhood.

Vince Cable is deluded, if he thinks these results are anything to do with people changing their mind on brexit he's in for a shock on the 23rd.

Hardly any change in my area. Blue down a tad. Red up a tad. Rest irrelevant.

Turnout 34% as a whole (some as low as 26%, my own 35%).

Let's see what May 23rd brings.

So far after 156 or 259 council voting results.
thumbnail_IMG_1405.jpg

Both Conservative and Labour are doing very poorly and the Lib Dems are making huge gains. As far as I've read everywhere, this is due to a backlash against the handling of Brexit, implying that Tories want Brexit to have happened by now and Labour voters would probably want it stopped or 2nd vote.

So my question is- Why have UKIP lost so many places and not cleaned up all the disgruntled Tory voters?

Swing from Tory to LibDem control here :) :thumbsup: Tories lost 23 of their 29 seats and gave 1 to the Greens and all the others to Lb Dem who now hold a bigger majority than the Tories did.

Mine was a choice by the way of Conservative, Labour, Libs, UKIP and Green.

Short of spoiling my paper, Green was the only option for me. They got trounced, but I think my area will be Labour forever anyway.

I agree with those talking about taking the personality of the candidate over party politics when it comes to local affairs.

The biggy will be on the 23rd. It's gonna be a bloodbath that makes Thrones' "Battle of the Bastards" look like an OAP tea party.

UKIP didn't stand in most places hence they were going to lose seats whatever happened. A lot of their councilors became Independents and are amongst the 'others' who had a very good night.

The biggy will be on the 23rd. It's gonna be a bloodbath that makes Thrones' "Battle of the Bastards" look like an OAP tea party.

Hopefully it will be in in daylight - I couldnt see what was happening most of the time in the Battle of the Long Night. :(

Edit: 2 threads merged (This is best continued in the Local elections thread in the P&E sub forum... Thanks.)

Last edited:
Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom