Local Council By-Election Thread

The Conservative vote share increased in every seat bar one.

There must be some weird local shenanigans goi g on
Well labour didnt put any effort in at all, not even a single leaflet where as the tories did and also did knock on doors etc.

Labour around here just seems to have given up so they can hardly complain when things don't go 'right' for them.

The Conservative vote share increased in every seat bar one.
As it has done in every GE since 97. A trend that tells you a very clear story about the British electorate and it’s political leanings and how to win. That’s a very very long term trend.

Though I’d not necessarily say comparison to 2018 is helpful in these local seats in national context. Given the circumstances then and now. It’s hard to compare to 2019 but would I think generally look like slightly worse performance from the Tories and better from Labour in similar areas. Though we are talking very small samples and local specific stuff.

Maybe people that would normally put in the work for Labour on the ground no longer wanted to bother.

Maybe people that would normally put in the work for Labour on the ground no longer wanted to bother.
Saw the Labour County Councillor for my ward delivering leaflets himself. Cheery wave from a thoroughly decent bloke.

A rare Tuesday by election

Victoria (Newport) council by-election result:
LAB: 64.6% (+6.7)
LDEM: 26.0% (+5.6)
CON: 9.4% (-3.8)
Labour HOLD.
No Grn (-8.5) as prev.
Votes cast: 992

You can get that from a wave 👋 ?
Oddly enough, I was discussing him with a colleague who is a Labour County Councillor from Leicestershire last night. Both are Labour & Cooperative. :)

Fort William and Ardnamurchan
SNP won
Second Con
Third Scottish Green
Fourth Lib Dem
Then 3 independents

Announced about 5 minutes ago but not in copyable format yet

Not only have the Tories lost control of Worthing, they also lost a seat in true-blue Wealden. In a very posh bit of Wealden, too, up in the Ashdown Forest.

Figures for both below:

Wealden – Hartfield

Green Party 598 (55.8 per cent, +12.7 from 2019) Conservatives 467 (44.2 per cent, -12.7)

Green Party gain from Conservatives.

Worthing – Marine

Labour 1,239 (50.2 per cent, +17.6 from May) Conservatives 972 (39.4 per cent, -1.6) Green Party 124 (5.9 per cent, -3.7) Lib Dems 112 (4.5 per cent, -3.8)

Labour gain from Conservatives.

The Hartfield result, with just the Greens standing against the Tories, show what a difference it makes when the anti-Tory vote isn't split between 3 parties (or even 4, if Reform UK are in the mix).

Lots of upsets for the Tories in yesterday's by-elections.

More in next post.

Last edited:
I reckon the latest round of covid stuff may cost the Tories the N Shropshire by-election.

Ten by elections tomorrow

Dawley and Aqueduct (Telford & Wrekin) council by-election result:
LAB: 50.5% (-11.3)
CON: 45.8% (+7.6)
LDEM: 3.7% (+3.7)
Labour HOLD.
Votes cast: 808

Nettleham (West Lindsey) council by-election result:
LDEM: 51.0% (+1.2)
CON: 32.6% (-17.5)
LAB: 10.1% (+10.1)
GRN: 6.2% (+6.2)
Liberal Democrat GAIN from Conservative. Votes cast: 1,146

Hexham East (Northumberland) council by-election result:
LDEM: 47.3% (+11.7)
CON: 30.0% (-13.9)
LAB: 12.5% (-8.1)
IND: 10.3% (+10.3)
Liberal Democrat GAIN from Conservative.
Votes cast: 1,235

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom