1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local cinema, ultimate quality?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Sammy Jankis, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Sammy Jankis

Sammy Jankis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure this is the right forum to post this but I'm a CRT owner and thought this was a good place.

How many CRT owners consider their local cinema as the leader in picture quality? I have read on this forum and others that some people try to 'recreate the cinema experience in the home'. But I must say that my local cinema is awful and would never want that poor quality in my home. I rang my local Warner Village (Park Royal) and asked them which screen had the best sound system, they said that screen 1 (out of 9) was THX certified. I then saw The Matrix Reloaded in that screen and was very impressed with the sound but still the picture was well below my humble Barco 708. Maybe I'm asking too much.:(

2. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I certainly wouldn't because the quality of our local UGC cinema (Rubery, Birmingham) is dire.

I would be able to get better picture quality with a portable LCD screen and a magnifying glass. :thumbsdow And I'm not joking.

Once I get decent projector (that isn't broken) then we'll give up our Unlimited Cards.

3. owenw

owenw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Our local cinema (Ster Century, Liffey Valley, Dublin) seems to be missing or have blown up the front left speakers. This makes the Dolby ad's with the raindrops / steam train very weird as the sound suddenly drop out as it moves around the auditorium.
    The UCI's in Dublin are a digrace with kids running around and screens of similar quality to those in B'ham by the sounds of it, or maybe Uzbekistan. ;)

Ever notice how boomy the bass is in the cinema? Hi-fi it ain't.

Does anyone know if the sound systems / projectors are ever re-calibrated in cinemas? I understand the PJ lamps only last a few weeks - you'd imagine they would test the damn focus etc when installing the replacement. Then there's the quality of the film reels after making the rounds in the US.... don't get me started on that! grrr!

GagHalfrunt, where can I buy a cheap LCD / magnifying glass combo? :D

OwenW

"You can't expect to wield supreme executive power
    just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

4. voodooflux

voodooflux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    GagHalfrunt - we gave up on Rubery and the UCI in Solihull in favour of Gold Class at Star City. Bit further to go and more expensive, but it's worth it for those recliner seats alone :)

Cheers
    v.f.

5. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    What are you talking about, Cinemas are all fantastic :smashin:

Personally, I spill popcorn, nachos and soft drinks on the sofa and over the floor of my living room , then get some complete strangers to come round and sit behind me kicking the seat through the whole movie. As a special request I ask them to play with their mobiles during the trailers and take at least two calls during the film.

If we really push the boat out then I'll hide some very smelly trainers under the sofa to authentically replicate the communial viewing experience. Ahh...luxury!! ;)

6. Bonce

Bonce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Chris, it sounds like your 'home cinema' experience is pretty authentic, but might I also suggest you find someone with a heavy cold to sit behind you, coughing like a dying donkey and sneezing wetly onto the back of your head? That really finishes the experience off for me. :D

Oh, and don't forget to pay some local lads to key your car whilst you're watching a film. :rolleyes:

7. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    From GagHalfrunt Enterprises. :smoke:

Seriously though, Rubery used to have THX approval in every screen (don't know how) and "for some reason" lost it. I don't think Rubery has ever calibrated their projectors as far as I can see.

Star City, Brum are not in my good books either. I took the g/f to see Harry Potter there and they chopped off the last reel (i.e. the credits). I complained and was told "it's Christmas". It was November.

As soon as I get a BG808s (back on topic!) I will cancel my cinema membership and use an online DVD rental co.

8. owenw

owenw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    LOL Chris I'm soo.. soo... jealous!! :D
    I have to travel miles and spend a lot of hard earned money to get that sort of "realism"!

GagHalfrunt, I'll have 3 of your screens with Superwide Gaghalvision please :)

Joking aside, would you recommend a Barco 701 / 801 or a Sony 1272QM PJ for a first-timer like myself? I plan to spend around £1500ish to dip my toe in the water.

OwenW

9. voodooflux

voodooflux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Same here Owen - I'm looking to acquire my first projector in the next few weeks, within a similar price bracket.

Cheers
    v.f.

10. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Owen

I have a Sony 1271 and found it a great place to start. You'll pick one up for a lot less than £1,500 as well. Think that amount in YoYos and you're getting there.

For that kind of money, you can afford to blow the thing up when playing with it and not be too worried.

I visited my local high-end a/v store last week and the guy was trying to sell me the latest, greatest DLP unit (Sanyo/Sharp?) saying it was the CRT Killer. (€5000 as well!)

Well, it looked good, very bright and very good blacks - but the pixelation on graphics was obvious. I went home, spent an hour re-calibrating my CRT from scratch and sat back with a big grin on my face happy in the knowledge that I was saving upwards of 5 grand and had a better picture to boot!

If you're mobile, you're welcome to come see the 1271 in action some weekend (50 miles north of Dublin).

Regards

Peter

11. owenw

owenw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Peter,

This is Owen from MediaTec. We worked on that IEDR multimedia kiosk project last year and you showed me your cinema room a while back when you putting it together :)

Thanks, I really must take you up on the offer. I see you've done a lot of upgrading to your system in recent months. I was drooling over your B&W speakers too. ;)

The blowing up your projector scenario is exactly why I don't want to spend too much at this stage.

From the numerous websites / forum threads I've read it seems LCD/ DLP PJ's are great for 1 thing: nice sharp computer graphics.
    I can vouch for that. If you want a smooth filmic look then CRT is the way to go.
    I set up a €5000 (trade cost) Sharp LCD PJ in work last year and played the start of 2001: A Space Odyssey on it. The contrast was only OK and the sunsets were washed out. The space scenes and infamous star gate sequence simply failed to blow me away and, like you said, there is obvious pixellation and "chicken wire" effect still evident on LCD projectors.

OwenW

12. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Ahh, yes. The Gold Package.

Upgrade to Platinum and you get Coughy Wheezy Boy, Mr. Farty and your choice of Mr. Tall or Mr. & Miss. Argument as front row guests. Sheer bliss. ;)

Oh, the City Centre Plus option. Very popular with the suburban crowd.
    "Nice car that mate. Want us to watch it for ya? Make sure it stays safe like"
    "No thanks lads, I'm leaving my Rottweiler in the car"
    "Look at that John. A dog wot can put out fires" :D

13. MATT JENNER

MATT JENNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Maybe missing the point here,

is this a thread about the poor quality of local cinema's or is it about the latest lcd ?

then again confusing a southerner aint hard especially from north ;-)

well i would like to add my moan, i have been to some of the best cinema's, odeon leicester sq, empire, there pictures are awful although i have to admit the empire(ucg is a good quality from row 90, )

i did think that most cinema's i know those in leciester sq, have both digital and film projectors,
    i was sitting and watching charlies angels (only went for the boobs) there was yellow lne all round the actors, the film was scratched for 10 mins at my local blue water cinema the film had a green line through the left ,
    in regards to sound - as far as i knew most cinema's now have the sound on a seperate disk and the film is time coded down the left hand side which the projectionist can see from his booth, he just then keeps pressing a button until the sound lines up with the film marks, then he knows the sound is sync, - i was told that from an ex projectionsist for warner,
    i do have to admit though - i sat in the odeon leiceser sq, for the royal premier of star wars a.o.c the seats in the royal circle had been taken out and 2 thrones been put in its place the place was spik ans span, not a grain of pop corn anywhere, my question is who would pay 10.00 plus to sit in a crap hole, for 2hrs,
    we do it every time we go to the cinema, and we put up with it, but you go to the states they would go on strike if their local multiplex was like that, so com eon britain get sorted,
    or many of us cinema enthusits will end up building our own!

14. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Ah

That owen!

Glad to see you found avforums - not a half bad place to start!

You're welcome for a return visit any time - it's nice to see these things up and running in the context of a HC as opposed to business application!

Peter

15. owenw

owenw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Peter,

I will take you up on the offer. I need to make sure the bank balance is padded before I get too tempted! Also waiting for a room to be vacated so I can claim it for my home cinema :)

This forum is very helpful indeed.

Back to the topic...

Matt, what was the PQ like in the Leicester Square Odeon? Was the digital image quality noticeably better? I read somewhere that they release the films on several optical discs (similar to DVDs) to D-Cinemas, resulting in no wear, scratches, smudges etc. as opposed to film reels which suffer all of this before they even reach our shores.

OwenW

16. MATT JENNER

MATT JENNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    owen

at odeon,

the film attack of the clones, i found was very soft, and in some of the desert scenes on tatoine it was very blurred, (but i have to admit it wa slike this on the dvd when i played it on my screen,)

but when watching harry potter at the same place the picture was very good, although there was an over saturation in some dark candle light scenes,

the film had no scratches though as it was digital, the sound is good,

17. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    On the topic of quality fit & finish...

Matt, where did you get those DTS and Dolby Digital plaques you have on your walls. They are neat. (Nicely put together web site too :smashin: )

Peter

18. MATT JENNER

MATT JENNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  19. Mr Cinema

Mr Cinema
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In answer to Owenw's question, cinemas use Xenon lamps that are guaranteed by the manufacturer for 1600 hours after that you are on your own. With good ventilation and a strong set of fans on the lamphouse you should get over 2500 hrs of good light. That is about a year in the average screen. In all honesty Dolby Digital sysems don't drift off much. With analouge (SR)
    if you run the dolby test tone and even up the inputs from the cell once a week then it too should be fine.

Try some independent cinemas and stay away from the curcuits, if you find a good one the extra care taken by the owner/operator generally means better picture and sound. Although not always of course.