Local buying verse importing direct from Japan

Tribeless

Standard Member
Although I'm in New Zealand, I suspect this post will still be relevant to most forum members.

I'm either going to buy the Mitsi HC5000 or the Epson TW1000. A very good friend in NZ has done some research and emailed me the following:

The cost of the Epson TW1000 from a NZ retailer will be (all local currency) $8,000, whereas the comparable cost to import machine direct from Japan will only be $3,775.

The cost of the Mitsi HC5000 from a NZ retailer will be just over $8,000, whereas the comparable cost to import machine direct from Japan will be only $3,954.

Other than the obvious rhetorical question, why would NZ retailers think myself such a moron I can't see I'm being ripped off, then the only reason for buying local would be to get the warranty?

What would you do? Or, more precisely, have any of you imported direct from Japan, and if so, how did it go? Any unexpected costs? Also, how many of you with either of these machines had to trigger the warranty?

[Given the above local prices are approximate, and will probably come in higher, then even if the first machine I import from Japan is faulty and cannot be fixed, I can still import a second whole machine and be better off. Insane.]

Tribeless

Standard Member
Thanks Dave.

I've queried them on how that international warranty actually works. Have you had any dealings with them: ie, are they reputable?

Anyone?

dave_st185

I haven't dealt with them yet although a number of people on AVS have and seem to recommend them, aswell as one of our posters here who actually picked up his AE1000 direct from them when he popped over to Hong Kong

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=734929 - you should have a skim through this thread as there are a couple of NZ purchasers who have posted about the Epson and Hivizone IIRC somewhere in the middle

I've just spotted they have started offering the JVC HD1 (the main reason I haven't bought an Epson yet :) ) for £2900 :smashin: with 12 month tourist warranty aswell, which you should maybe consider if you can justify the extra cost - it is the beter projector of the Panny, Epson, and Mitsuibishi

Tribeless

Standard Member
Why do you think the JVC better Dave (or is there a thread on this)?

Sunshinewelly

Distinguished Member
i am the guy who picked up his projector from CHAN at his shop in HK at hivizone. I would give them a glowing recomendation. Its basically a small outfit that has grown through word of mouth. He gets a lot of sales from the states and is very reliable.

He is very trustworthy and i intend to import all my av gear through him. As a bonus the pannasonic AE1000 which i bought and in my opinion which beats the mits (had a number of demo's whilst in Hk of the epson, the panny and the mits - hence chosing the panny) is a uk specced machine with a full uk warranty.

i also fail to see how the JVC can be twice as good as the panny etc. the reviews i have read sugest that any increase in black levels etc is not apparent unless you have a proper dedicated black out room.

dave_st185

There's many threads about the projector

Our main one here is:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=470757

Some reviews:
http://projectorreviews.com/jvc/DLA-RS1/index.asp
http://www.cine4home.com/reviews/projectors/JVC-HD1/HD1Test.htm
http://www.projectorcentral.com/jvc_dla-rs1.htm

There's others but that's all I can think of from the top of my head

It's up to you really to demo any projector contenders and see if the extra cost is worth any extra performance you observe, but as with all things it's a case of diminishing marginal returns as you move to the pricier end of the market - the performance does improve but only you can decide if the level of improvement is worth the additional cost to you

The price / performance ratio of the Panny, Pearl, Epson, & Mitsuibishi has been enough to delight many of their owners, but on the other hand there were those people who had to have the JVC for the improvements it brings to the table :hiya:

Mad Monk

i am the guy who picked up his projector from CHAN at his shop in HK at hivizone. I would give them a glowing recomendation. Its basically a small outfit that has grown through word of mouth. He gets a lot of sales from the states and is very reliable.

He is very trustworthy and i intend to import all my av gear through him. As a bonus the pannasonic AE1000 which i bought and in my opinion which beats the mits (had a number of demo's whilst in Hk of the epson, the panny and the mits - hence chosing the panny) is a uk specced machine with a full uk warranty.

I also fail to see how the JVC can be twice as good as the panny etc. the reviews i have read sugest that any increase in black levels etc is not apparent unless you have a proper dedicated black out room.

I am also going to be in HK next month and plan on visiting hivizone to pick up an AE1000. What kind of warranty did you get with the projector? I hate to spend my money abroad and not support UK retailers but the saving here is a significant one (enough to fund a AV receiver) Pannasonic have really screwed up international pricing on this one.

Mad Monk

Hmm its alot of money to spend and not get a UK warranty. If thats the case I could always wait until my next trip out to change it or get it repaired but its all starting to sound like a bit of hassle which I really dont need.

I dont mind paying extra as we live in the UK and are used to being stung but £1400 vs £3400 is plain crazy. Even £2k is ok, I'd pay £600 over the odds just to sleep peacefully at night.

I think the best thing I can do is wait until prices come down to an affordable level in the UK

Time to buy a stop gap projector I guess

Sunshinewelly

Distinguished Member
i contacted panasonic, i gave them the seriel number, they asked where i bought it from, i simply said an internet seller, they said yes its a Uk specced machine and gave me a one year UK warranty.

Its got a CE mark on the back, a scart connection etc and there is no indication on any of the packaging that would lead anyone to think it was not from the UK.

If no one wishes to belive that then its fine by me.

At the end of the day these things are all made in the same factory, maybe Chan gets them directly from the manufacturer, i couldnt give a monkeys where he gets them from, he sells them at a very low price and that makes me happy.

maybe i was lucky but i i would assume his stock will be all the same.

maybe as a retailer you should consider getting them from him.

Mad Monk

Wow thats great to hear mate.

I've just emailed hivizone with some warranty questions. Personally I think I may just go for it now. Zero postage to pay as well and no customs. Cant wait lol

Enjoy your new toy FGEvans1 :smashin:

Del

just wondering

The fact is about pricing with any item is , not how much do we need to charge , its how much can we charge and lets be honest , in the UK , we are taken for mugs on the prices of most items :mad: thankfully the internet is nicely sorting out that particular issue :)

Mad Monk

Just read further up in the thread mate, I visit HK a few times a year on business so can carry stuff back from there with no problems. Customs never stop anyone these days as they're too busy on terror duties I guess (well I've never been stopped in 3 years :) ) I dont want to encourage anyone to break the law so I better stop right here :rolleyes:

just wondering - bear in mind that we earn twice as much as our American cousins, that could explain why things cost twice as much. Its the manufacturers that set the prices so its a bit hard to be tough on the retailers. I usually get most of my stuff from PRC and RGB Direct as they are local but would anyone passup on a £2k saving if it was presented to them?

just wondering

I agree , you can't blame the retailer , i know all about wholesale costs in the uk when it comes to certain products , the margins can be a real scandal .:thumbsdow

The retailer needs to make a living , but the buyer wants it as cheap as humanly possible , its epson that are upsetting the apple cart , 15 years ago , we would in general of had very little idea or the time to figure out how much a product cost comprassion was in a far away land , but thankfully today , the world is a smaller place because of the internet , a item from hk could arrive just as quickly as a item from the other end of england , if ordered at the right time of day and pretty much dispatched within 1 hour of the ordrer.....as mentioned 2k is a whooping saving ,pretty much allows you to buy the epson and put the savings in the bank and buy the very latest epson in around 2-3 years time , when they next fancy a upgrade.

But if it was not for the international warranty i dont think i would really consider buying the product , the international warranty is the real seller of this product regardless of price , peace of mind wins out for most expensive purchases. but stilllll 2k saving...wow , still worthy of the risk even with no international warranty , Buy 1 get 1 free....nice..

benji_m

i contacted panasonic, i gave them the seriel number, they asked where i bought it from, i simply said an internet seller, they said yes its a Uk specced machine and gave me a one year UK warranty.

Its got a CE mark on the back, a scart connection etc and there is no indication on any of the packaging that would lead anyone to think it was not from the UK.

If no one wishes to belive that then its fine by me.

At the end of the day these things are all made in the same factory, maybe Chan gets them directly from the manufacturer, i couldnt give a monkeys where he gets them from, he sells them at a very low price and that makes me happy.

maybe i was lucky but i i would assume his stock will be all the same.

maybe as a retailer you should consider getting them from him.

You said from an internet seller, the implication being that it's a UK internet seller. They 'gave' you a 1 year uk warranty. Well I don't mean to sound like im doubting this but for the benefit of clarity:

1) This was 'given' by whom? A customer service operative? Do they have authority to grant discretionary warranties? Is it not just as possible that they thought you bought in the UK and gave the stock '1 year' response?

2) The real test is when it's in for repair under warranty. Panasonic UK know excatly where each unit came from, the date it was supplied to the dealer and much, much more. They are extremely tight on warranty claims and validity issues.

3) It's not a good idea to take anything anyone non-senior in Panasonic says for a fact. Most Cs/tech support people just say anthing to get the customer off the phone.

4) Is it really within the bounds of credibility that Pana UK would offer a warranty on a product they didn't supply when they don't have to? That eats into their budgets? Messes up their profitability? When the product is in direct competition with their own? (And it is!)

Just some thoughts.

Sunshinewelly

Distinguished Member
i should clarify that the warranty was given online through their online registration department.

I gave them the seriel number etc and had confirmation that the product was now under a one year warranty.

they would have difficulties in getting out of that one.

no where on their site does it say that the item has to be bought in the UK, There is a tick list which allows you to selct "other" as a place where the item was purchased.

If i had any problems i would simply act dull and rely upon their online confirmation that my actual model with the serial number which they were given was under warranty. they would not have a leg to stand on.

benji_m

They might have a leg to stand on though when they realise it's a non EU import. The nature of the confirmation is not contaractual IMO.

peterweg

Banned
Guessing here, but..
Actually, if it was bought in the UK a one year warranty would be mandatory. Its up to Panasonic to take it up with the dealer, however if its already legal to buy in it the EU they restrictive trade rights might not apply.

So you can now buy a PS3 US import console without Sony shutting down any dealer who did the import. Is this correct?

ChrisAllenFiz

If i had any problems i would simply act dull and rely upon their online confirmation that my actual model with the serial number which they were given was under warranty. they would not have a leg to stand on.

Since under UK law the retailer is the person you have a contract with, they wouldn`t have to do anything unless you could prove that they had offered you a warranty.

They may fix your projector if it breaks, but they have zero legal responsibility to do anything.

mrapbp

Just had this response to an email fro them:

The price of Panasonic AE1000 is US$2,680 and the shipping cost to UK by UPS Express is US$190. Thus, the total amount is US$2,870. It is likely that you need to pay customs charge and/or import tax.

Panasonic AE1000 does NOT come with international warranty. The warranty is only valid in Hong Kong.

Was very seriously looking at this until this email!!

Sunshinewelly

Distinguished Member
i was also told that but the model they sold me was a Uk specced model.

so its up to you.

its built like a tank anyway so the lack of a uk warranty if that does happen would not have concerned me.

mrapbp

did you pay any import duty?

i was also told that but the model they sold me was a Uk specced model.

so its up to you.

its built like a tank anyway so the lack of a uk warranty if that does happen would not have concerned me.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Creative releases Stage 360 Soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Toshiba reveals 2021 UK TV range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for October 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
StormAudio launches ISP Core 16 AV processor