Loads of problems with Sky Q ...

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the usual stuff like random resets , sound missing etc , been onto sky for over 90 minutes tonight , need to wait over two weeks to get an installer back out , have been offered £42 for the inconvenience by way of a Tesco gift card , they know they have big issues with Q , just hope they can get it sorted out ....

You're very patient.
I'd have just said what the problems were and got them to send a fixer round right away.

Sound missing, is that not more your tv than sky q.
Sky do know about the sound dropouts on sky sports 1 for some of the live football recently, that happens on sky q and sky+hd
Not seen any of that on my sky q or my disabled next door neighbour's sky q that I care for.
In fact, mine has been pretty stable since the launch, only had one lockup after that last firmware update. But been fine since.
Is it networking connection problems you are having or the minis or boxes locking up?

The sound wanders off but if you go to terrestrial it is fine , reboot the box and it comes back , it also decided randomly to go to 1080 instead of 2160 , and randomly suffers from massive picture stuttering ....

Are you using the supplied sky hd cable, that or asimilar one is needed for the uhd stuff?
What tv is it, sony have had a load of recent firmware updates that solved a lot of recent sky q problems.

I currently have Sky HD, I have received an upgrade offer, £42 a month with a £90 one off fee, but I am hearing Sky Q obviously has some major issues, My Panny Dx 902 has arrived today and will be installed over the weekend, TBH Sky HD looks good on my Samsung 65 UHD, Would upgrading to Sky Q really be a worthwhile upgrade, or am I merely going to experience the same issues.

Sky Q has NO issues for me.

That's a result , out of curiousity , how hot is the top surface of the box ? , because mine is red hot !!!

That's because Sky claim the Q is made of breathable plastic. That's why the HDD is so audible.

Sky say breathable plastic, I say CHEAP!

And for anyone considering Q. I seriously suggest you seek out a friend that has it first to see & hear for yourself first hand what it's really like.

I don't view it as an upgrade in any shape or form. An upgrade builds on a base of everything that works, that's made a platform successful & adds to it.

Q doesn't do that.

That's one - it is very hot, top and bottom, and has to be placed on a metal surface!

It's silent and the interface with the user is much improved.

So Barney Gumble says the HDD is 'so audible' and logiciel says 'it's silent'...mmmm which is it? LOL

I want to upgrade to Sky Q next month but not if the box/HDD is noisy.

My Q boxes are warm to the touch, not hot.

Also I've fitted stick-on plastic feet under all the boxes to enable a better flow of air, improved convection.

My 1TB box is pretty warm, it was one of the things the installer told us to expect and not to worry about. I have had no issues at all in my first 5 weeks or so with Q. Box is silent from a watching distance, certainly quieter than the Sky HD box that it replaced. Only thing I didn't really like is the touch remote, so I just use the standard one which works fine. There is a few things about the UI software that are slightly annoying and could be improved in my opinion but nothing too bad.

Would not say its is any hotter than any other modern kit we have, actually its just warm to the touch.
The sky q 2tb and mini are both silent here, unless you place your head by it.
The sky+hd used to grunt a bit on its startup.

My Q boxes are warm to the touch, not hot.

Also I've fitted stick-on plastic feet under all the boxes to enable a better flow of air, improved convection.
That's exactly the same as mine , warm to touch but not excessively hot. Overall my system has been reliable.

I suspect that the difference between warm and hot is not actually the temperature of the box but the individual user's perception of warm and hot. Any comparison using that principle is doomed to failure (unless it's the same person assessing and describing the temperature). There have been suggestion that the Q box will char a wooden shelf, but I suspect there is either a bit of deliberate exaggeration going on or the poster is not aware of just how high a temperature is required to char wood, as warm won't do it, hot won't do it, but bloody hot might (all temperatures subjective).:D

I wouldn't risk it on anything wooden, but it's best to be safe than sorry.
If you get one and it's noisy then obviously you reject it.

Temperature of each box will also depend on the environment the box is kept in as well. Considering it feels pretty warm in my AV cabinet I wouldn't want to leave it working in an tight enclosed space for long periods of time every day.

I suspect that the difference between warm and hot is not actually the temperature of the box but the individual user's perception of warm and hot. Any comparison using that principle is doomed to failure (unless it's the same person assessing and describing the temperature). There have been suggestion that the Q box will char a wooden shelf, but I suspect there is either a bit of deliberate exaggeration going on or the poster is not aware of just how high a temperature is required to char wood, as warm won't do it, hot won't do it, but bloody hot might (all temperatures subjective).:D
It's no hotter than my Note 7 :D

Mine has been stable now for four weeks.

Out of curiosity , can you let me know what your signal level and quality is showing on the box [emoji106]

We did have problems with our Sky Q 2TB box in the living room which is kept in a closed wooden cabinet - I've raised it up a little and removed the back from the cabinet and it's not had a problem since.

However, the Sky Q Mini box in the bedroom is terrible. Maybe not every day but it feels like on most occasions we go to the box and it won't come out of standby, sometimes it shows a green light but the remote is unresponsive, sometimes it comes on and shows a mini view of the current channel only but the remote remains unresponsive. Usually resolved by pulling the power but then it'll randomly want re-paired meaning a trip downstairs to hit the WPS button.

Do others have these problems with the Mini boxes? If not, I'll contact Sky for a swap. Their forums seem to show a lot of other people with the same problem.

Aside from that, I really like Sky Q.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom