Loading the hard drive in BIOS

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by chaz, Feb 4, 2014.

1. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +253
    I now finished my build and about to go into set up I can see it is easy enough to sort out the drive system but I am now shaking with fear about the hard drives and how to set them up & Configuring them When I look at the book even the easy ones say words like slave rad etc ( Which I do not really understand (I have tried looking at the videos on how to do it but they whrt much help) In my build I have 2 hard drives the one i want the windows 7 etc is my 64 bit solid state Drive and for everything else Games photos films etc I will use my Samsung Standard drive. So can somone please tell the EASY step by step how to set up these 2 hard drives up in BIOS and to get the best of them please PS I felt great once i fished the build everything came on and did not blow up must admit this is the first time i have built a PC and that nor bad for a 64 year old! Now comes the hard part

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,518
    It shouldn't need much in the way of configuration, master/slave is for parallel drives, not SATA ones and you don't need to touch any of the RAID options.

You may want to check that the SATA controller is set to AHCI mode rather than a legacy mode but on a new motherboard I imagine it will be, other than that there shouldn't be anything required.

3. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +253
    Hi Endless once again Thanks you. What you say above is that for just the ssd Drive by the I will disconnect the other hard drive while doing the ssd drive like most of you have said is that the correct thing to do? Once I have done that in bios do I then conect my other hard drive that wiil hold all my other stuff do i then go back into bios and do that drive? and how do i set that one Also on the 1TB Samsung Drive do I have to format that drive at all? and just one more thing what is trim. Sorry about all the Q endless Hope you can help me with this maze.

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,518
    It makes a bigger difference for an SSD, but it's just ensuring they're using the up to date protocol - if your hard drive is recent it'll support it too. Trim is an SSD specific instruction that's allows the operating system to inform the drive of the best time to do it's housekeeping. In practical terms it keeps the performance of a used drive up. Again, it's probably not something you have to worry about if everything is brand new.

SATA drives are generally just plug and play, you only need to go into the BIOS if you want to double check the settings. I wouldn't expect you to need to re-open the bios when you reconnect the hard drive.

I've never bought a Samsung drive so I don't know how they ship them, it's easy enough to open disk management and do so if it doesn't show up though.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  5. spyder viewer

spyder viewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,285
    Windows will know if they they need formatting. The hardest part will be deciding if you want to partition them (worth considering if you are going to keep documents, emails etc that you want to back up regularly) deciding the partition sizes, names and letters.

6. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +253
    I would once again like to thank you Endless and you to Spyder taking the time out in helping a old fart like me in the rather confusing world of PC. There afew more Q I hope you can help me with the first are hardware related.I am about to change my Standard CPU cooler that came with my intel i7 processor for a Prolima TECH Megahalems Rev.B CPU cooler . As it did not come with fans i need to buy these it recommends 120mm with 1200RPM speed now do i buy one or two? the ones i am thinking of buying are the silverstone ones to match the others i have in my Silverstone FT 2 case also how I do i mount these if I buy 2 do I have the fan blades both with the writing facing outwards or do i turn one inwards ?. The second Hardware Q is the new monitor I have is a ASUS VG236 which of course has HDMI now I know you normally you use a DVI cable to connect the monitor to the PC but as the monitor has HDMI sockets can you use hdmi cables to connect the two together rather than the awkward DVI cable. Now to my last Q once I have installed windows 7 onto my SSD drive is it a good idea to transfer from Windows 7 things like my Documents, picture, Movies Folders to my bigger Samsung 1TB hard drive which will have my future photos films etc on there anyway and if thats right is it fairly easy to do. Right I think thats about it. Sorry about the long list. But in my schooldays they did not even know what a computer was! there nearest we got to one was a ACBUS! and we used dipping pens in ink wells!back then Once again thanks for your time in answering these what must be to you very silly Q

7. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,518
    One or two will depend on whether you want minimum noise or maximum cooling. Check the manual as to which way to mount them, but looking at it I'd guess it's designed for a push/pull setup, i.e. the fans should be blowing in the same direction so one has writing inwards the other writing outwards.

There's nothing stopping you using any connections generally, but again, it's a case of checking the manual to ensure the screen supports all the features you want over that connection. It may be that it won't do stereoscopic gaming over HDMI but will over DVI, or even vice versa.

You should be able to right click on individual folders (music, documents etc.), pick properties and set their location. Ideal you want all your files on the SSD, but if you're running out of space then things like videos are a good choice to move over to the hard drive.

8. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +253
    A BIG THANK YOU ENDLESS for asking all my Silly Q :clap::beer: