1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lo-fi DIY: Picture Rail

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Slimchandi, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've been trying to use the picture rails in my house to mount surround speakers. The sofa is positioned against the back wall, so there are corners in the picture rail just begging for some sort of mounting.

Here's the catch: rented acc. So I thought about using a triangle shaped piece of wood or similar in the corner and securing it with something removable (velcro? blutack) and then placing my Mission 700's on that. (WDH 18,34,26)

Does anyone have any better options? The door opens onto the corner of the room, which would otherwise be perfect for them. This room seems to be conspiring against me to prevent 5.1! No drilling, no room for speakers and GF wouldn't permit another room shuffle (there probably aren't many options left!)

2. Ciqala

Ciqala

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no more nails the shelves to the walls ? :D

*disclaimer: may not be able to remove them again at later date :D

3. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    you could get some picture hooks, nail them into the dado on the top edge and then hang a small bit of string with a hook to the speaker off the hook in the dado...when removed the hook hole wont be visible as its been banged into the top..you see?

4. marty123

marty123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I had a similar problem with rented accomodation I had! I would say you have two options!

1. Ask the landlord nicely - say you will leave the wood for other people to use and that you will make sure it is secure!

2. Just go ahead and nail 2 nails in using a traingular pice of wood! (That's what i did)

Whichever one you do i want no responsibility! :)

5. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think I'm going to give the mounting a miss, just looked up the size of these and they're fairly big, would require a large shelf. Instead I'm going for the "on the floor" option with a pair of stands angling them up against the side wall. Does anyone know where I can find stands like these? Or go about making them?

6. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Unless the lease expressly mentions no wall fixings.... just because you are renting, should not prohibit the fixing of things to walls which would be expected in any normal domestic setting - pictures, speakers, shelves etc.

As long as the fixing holes are reasonably sized and discrete then this should not cause a problem when you surrender the lease, or can simply be filled if required that you redecorate when you leave.

7. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I had my 77ds hanging from the picture rail in my old flat. I had those picture rail hooks (flat piece of metal curved around) with a piece of string I kid you not with big knots tied in the ends I kid you not stuffed in the mounting holes for the speakers. I had my heart in my mouth for the first few minutes, then relaxed for the next 18 months, and all was well.

Although I really can't recommend this. In any way.

8. Jamiroquai78

Jamiroquai78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How long are you there for?

If you plan to be there a while wall mount them and fill any holes before you leave, thats what we did when we rented for 18 months.

Go on you know you want to :devil:

Oh BTW...........if the GF can't support a Home Cinema addiction you need a new GF :D

9. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Jam, we had a similar discussion yesterday!

Her: "Why do you need a new DVD player?"

Me: "Why do you want to buy organic vegetables?!"

That sorted things out, gonna be enjoying high PQ and tasty dinners for the next few weeks.

I'm fairly sure we are not permitted to drill, we needed a long back and forth to allow those tiny hammer in plastic picture hooks with three nails, he only agreed after consuling his artist friend. Besides, damage to the period features ain't gonna make him very happy.

Oh god, period features? I sound like a Channel 4 program.

10. Jamiroquai78

Jamiroquai78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    or describing an ex girlfriend :eek:

11. Baggimodo

Baggimodo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: