1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lnb

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by DustySox, Sep 23, 2004.

1. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

I am lucky enough (?) to have two Sky+ boxes working off one dish. My problem is that so far i've had two replacement LNB's, with Sky sending out an engineer to look at a fault tomorrow, which I suspect to be another LNB problem. As you can imagine my annoyance at this, does anyone know why LNB's go faulty, what would cause it. I am limping to end of my warranty, and would imagine that Sky, would "drag there hills" so as to make me pay for a new box etc. So any input/help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Darren

2. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    LNB's don't like the ingress of water,so if it leaks,then it's life will be short.Also,if the F-Connector connections are not sealed with amalgamating tape,then you run the risk of shorting,if the connections get wet.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Worth replacing the cables as well, it may not be the LNB itself but water damage on the connections and water will flow along the cable and degrade the performance.
    A replacment LNB may perform better than the existing one therby masking the performance of the cables.

Any service call on a Dsat system should check the alignment, LNB positioning and quality of the connections and cables.

If SKY are notified within the warranty period then no matter how long they take any work will be covered, infact you would have a case that if the problem repeated itself then the original repair was not upto standard or their was an ongoing issue and therefore the system was never really suitable for it's purpose.

4. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi guys,

Many thanks for your replies. Sky engineer due tomorrow. At least I now some knowledge, to "throw" resonable questions to him, in the hope that this matter can be resolved.

Will post solutions as and when he has gone.

Kind regards

Darren

5. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Any good installer will allow a drip loop on the cable,so any potential rainwater runs off the cable at the lowest point of the loop.

6. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Yes it should - but 9 out of 10 won't check any of these if a new LNB cures the fault.

Quad failures are pretty rare at the moment but time will tell.... A new one's only £50 or so.

A. Dork

7. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True, but the problem is not external drips but rainwater getting inside the cable through a badly sealed connection. A drip loop won't stop this as it runs through the cable dielectric by capillary action.

8. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi guys,

Just as an update, Sky engineer phoned this norning to say he would arrive between midday and 3pm, I then asked could he phone 30 minutes before to allow me get home from work to meet him, no problem he said. Well, here I am at 5.35pm and not engineer in sight!

This isn't the first time that this has happened to me. I certainly don't mess with payments to them. And with my Sky+ not working properly I resent paying for a service that does not work!!

Regards

Darren

9. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Ask for a credit for the loss of service, especially if he don;t turn up.......

I'd also go with the dmaaged cable idea if this is the second LNB that has failed. The guy would need to chop off at least 12" and re-terminate to be sure of getting to dry cable if the original wasn't sealed at the "f" type.....

10. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Always ask for the first appointment of the day if you want to guarantee he'll turn up. These installers can hit a snag on a job or bad traffic so afternoon appointments are hit and miss affairs.

11. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

Just as an update, Sky engineer phoned saturday night, to say he would be with me at 10am Sunday morning. And guess what, he was!! Straight away, he said that my input 2, was not working, and supplied me with a brand new box.

Wish that could of happened six months ago to save all this agro. Anyway he was fab, and I'm well happy.

Thankyou, for all your input. I did get him to check cables for water leaks as well.

Kind regards

Darren