1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LNB fallen off

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by micks_address, Dec 9, 2004.

1. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Hi folks,

Pit of a panic - so any help appreciated... got sky plus installed the other day and when i came home this evening got the message that no satelite signal was being received... i went out to check the dish after reseting the box and the LNB is dangling down from the dish... is it just a case of poping this back up on the dish to get the signal back? phoned sky and the best they can do is send someone out next thursday... i raised hell about it as i had to take a day off work to get the thing installed and now someone will need to be here next thursday to let the installers in to fix the mess they made.... can anyone help...? if i jump up on a ladder and pop the LNB back up will i be back in action... i am fit to kill someone now.. talk about a joke.. i asked the girl to talk to her supervisor and she put her on... she couldnt do any better but said all her supervisors were in a meeting but i'd be called back in 48 hours!

buckets!

right i'm off to try and calm down...

2. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    get freeview till next Thursday...... ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist......although it sounds like you take your Sky viewing extremely seriously.
    My suggestion, get a few cans of beer in and catch up on some DVD watching till Sky sort it out for ya!

3. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Push the LNB back on,there should be a clip-it may have just come off,i've NEVER seen an LNB fall off though.DIY and keep the sevice call-explain to the engineer when he arrives what happened and tell them you want the dish & LNB checking/replacing ;)

4. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    thanks does the lnb just sort of slot in place? like a male into female connection?

cheers,
    mick

ps. sorry for the crap imagination

5. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It should just push onto the boom arm,cables are at the bottom(!) Juts a thought-is Ireland a Zone 2 dish? I Really can't remember..The LNB should be really toght-has it fallen off with the plastic bracket attached to it? I'm just wondering if they didn't have the small nut & bolt that clamps the LNB in place........

6. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    it looks like the small nut a bolt is missing... the lnb is dangling by 3 co axial cables.. and there's like a piece of plastic jutting out of the lnb... like an arm.. i'm guess this arm needs to be attached to the dish with a nut and bolt?

oh bother

7. matty2767

matty2767

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i hope they (sky) are giving you some free months for all the hassle they are causing you. and missed tv.

8. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    i did bring that up mat and they told me that i would need to put it in writing... i would be surprised if they give me anything other than crediting me for the 8 days tv i'll be misssing... luckilly i'm going to the inlaws for the weekend so at least i'll be able to catch some tv... sure it gives me the chance to watch those dvd's that i've been buying and not having time to watch :) seriously though sky's attitude is very poor... when i called up the girl was laughing ... ... i hear your lnb has fallen off how unfortunate... lets get you sorted then she dropped the bombshell that it will be a week before its fixed!

9. matty2767

matty2767

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as usual it is the monopoly effect. they are just too big and think they can treat everyone like ****e because there is no real alternative. i know freeview is very good but it doesnt have sports.

10. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The arm is pushed into the dish(VERY tight)until you hear a click,the LNB is clamped into a piece of plastic and then a pinch bolt is fitted,this is then pushed into the arm.Tell Sky to sod of-you don't want it any more due to the hassle of the thing before you have even started.I will alomost guarantee you will get free month(s) (Ex Sky engineer ;))

11. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    They WILL treat you like ****e until you say "cancel my subsciption" ! People may not like me posting this but as an Sky Digital engineer i know how they work,they are complete ****ers TBH-they will try and screw people for as much £££ as they can.If you've been with them since the VERY start they won't care any more than if you signed up that DAY! "Cancel subsciption" is the only way ;)

12. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    hi there,

i got the loan of a neighbours ladder and put pushed the lnb back into the boom of the dish...i just tapped it in for the time being... i have picture but it breaks up every 30 seconds or so making it just about bearable... looking at the cables... one seems almost torn from the lnb which must have happened when it fell down.. i found the bracket for holding the lnb in place but found no bolt... anyway will have to live with it until friday when the engineer is supposed to be calling... i wont be here but i'm going to get my wife to insist that they put up a new lnb at least if not a new dish... would there be any benefit to getting a new dish?

anyway here's hoping i get it fixed for the weekend

cheers,
    mick

yey 1 - 0 to utd... this is why i pay the big bucks to those robbing f'erss

13. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would insist on new F connectors and dish if i were you-it shouldn't have come off in teh first place! IF the cable has folded when the LNB fell off it may have damaged the dielectric-replacing the cable if that is the case would be best..............

14. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    i'm inclined to ask for a complete new installation... i've noticed that the sky plus box doesnt come out of standby all the time when i press the sky button... sometimes it takes a few seconds to respond unlike my old panasonic box... so i'm going to try for a new dish, lnb, and new sky plus box...i'll let you know how i get on

cheers,
    mick

15. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    hi folks - more tales of woe...

installers came friday when my wife was there.. our little fella was sick so she didnt get much time to keep an eye on them... they popped back up the lnb and had a quick look at the picture and said everything was fine and left...

anyway when i came home i noticed that the picture (to a varying degree) was still breaking up on some channels... so naturally disgusted because i knew fine well i wouldnt be getting a service call again this side of christmas

anyway i phoned sky... kicked up holy war on the phone and of course they could do nothing for me.. i told them i was going cancelling my subscription plus my parents.. and they agreed to give me 1 months free viewing as compensation for not being able to watch anything over christmas...

here's the thing...

later in the evening i decided to bring my panasonic box down from upstairs (part of sky plus - multi room install)

when i unplugged the sky plus box.. and put in the old panasonic box... the picture was perfect so this leads me to believe the sky plus box is dodgy...

i tried doing the housekeeping on the box and it didnt seem to make much difference.. the odd thing with the sky plus box is that it was only breaking up on some channels.... but it wasnt consistent... say sky movies 1 would be fine then i'd switch to sports and the pic would break up every couple of seconds... then back to movies and it might start to break up.. there was no real consistency to the problem...

at the moment we're just going to sit it out until the 8th of jan for the next service call... needless to say the guys arent going to get that job sheet signed for a long time and they better be prepared to wait!

sky were lousy on the phone... saying my wife shouldnt have signed the job sheet if the system wasnt right... according to my wife the installers were only there 5 mins and just asked her to sign the sheet...

ah well at least we'll have something to watch over christmas....

cheers,
    mick

16. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not supprised i'm afraid-pay peanuts get monkeys and all that :( I would kick up some more stink-day's off work etc,giving you one month free when you can't watch the thing over the biggest holiday of the year isn't much cop ;)

17. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Hi folks,...

Well i'm eventually back in sky plus land... i had another no show from installers on saturday and after several irate calls to sky got someone to call last night... on monday they told me it would be the 10th feb before someone would call!

Anyway the guy was quite decent that called last night.. i told him i wanted a new sky plus box which he agreed to and a new lnb... the box was a pace so i'm happy enough.. i watched him pretty closely and he seemed to do a good job.. when replacing the old lnb he spotted that the last guys had just pushed the connection in.. the wires at the connection were frayed.. talk about cowboys..

anyway he stayed for a while - until i was happy the channels weren't breaking up any more.. and that i could record and play back ok...,

two questions...

when i look at the signal details - the first input has very strong signal strength/quality... the second input has only around half signal strength but the same signal quality.. is this normal?

the other question - when you first power on the sky plus box - how long should it take before it comes out of standby mode? last night he was waiting for over a minute and seemed to be getting nervous until it came out of standby.. my last box was like this as well so i suppose its default behaviour.. waiting for the box to boot up?

just out of interest i got credited just over a months main subscription plus multi room subscription for loss of viewing and a further month subscription + multiroom free for all the hassle... i suppose its not so bad.. but it was a big nuisance.. wondering if its worth writing a letter to the customer care department to see if they would do any more for me?

Anyway fingers and everything else crossed that it doesnt crap out on me again... i think my wife will throw the thing out the window if it does!

cheers,
    mick