• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

LNB diameters

raydawson

Established Member
I've got a cheap Ross satellite dish from B & Q and it only comes with a single LNB. I want to fit a quad LNB and can find several cheap ones on Amazon and Ebay, but they seem to have a smaller diameter than the 40mm neck of the Ross LNB.

Are there different sizes of LNB neck diameters? Most adverts don't say what size they are but, looking at the quad LNB on my Sky type dish, it seems to be only 30mm or so (can't get to it easily to accurately measure it).

Do Sky dishes have smaller LNB fittings and, if so, is it possible to pack out a smaller one to fit a 40mm fitting?

Cheers,

Ray D

Fred Smith

Prominent Member
Standard LNB's are 23mm and 40mm and some other sizes.

Don't get an LNB for a Sky dish it not designed to work with normal round dishes. Get a standard 40mm LNB. And yes you can get 23mm to 40mm adapters but you won't need one if you get the correct LNB.

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
Thanks Fred. As you may have gathered, I'm a bit new to satellite equipment etc.

I've found one on Esay here Genuine SKY QUAD LNB/LMB 40mm (with Mk4 BSkyB adapter) | eBay UK which desribes itself as a 40mm LNB. Would it be OK to use on the Ross round dish?

Cheers,

Ray D

No - as Fred stated Sky LNBs are designed to work with Sky's oval minidishes. All LNBs have "guides" within the throats shaped to suit the type of dish they are designed to work with - those for Sky dishes are oval shaped and those for standard dishes are round. For optimum performance you need a non-Sky LNB.

Fred Smith

Prominent Member
Last edited:

Fred Smith

Prominent Member
Economy yes, but more likely the black one!

Rick1

Established Member
Strictly speaking you should use the correct LNB for the dish. The Inverto Black Ultra is the best out there at the moment. While there is nothing wrong with the Triax LNB suggested, but the Black Ultra will out perform it.
If money is a real issue though a Sky LNB will work, just not quite as well as it should. If you get a Zingwell Mk4 Quad and wrap a little insulation tape around the neck, it will fit a 40mm clamp. If you can live with the performance drop off or not depends on what your trying to recieve.

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
If the quad is just for a cheap B & Q Ross pack I'd just get a cheap Sky quad & mod it to fit the dish- it will still see all of the dish & do OK- the oval view means it will see free space at the sides, which can allow noise in from say a street lamp etc. in certain circumstances but otherwise it'll perform OK.

I'd be far more concerned about the quality & condition of the dish & brackets that were too thin, had poor rust proofing & often bent in the tight boxes & will bend in strong winds.

The Black Ultra quad has actually been redesigned, it suffered from too short a 40mm neck compared to the very long neck singles - the latest have much longer necks for better focal adjustment which is the main advantage they give.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom