Question LMS streaming Spotify to Chromecast Audio

the groundsman

Hi Forgive me if this is a really dumb question.

I have Logitec Media Server installed on a laptop. It's set up and working fine to take advantage of the Ogg Vorbis 320k stream to Chromecast Audio. The whole LMS set up as been an intereting voyage of discovery for me. I saw there was an Airplay plugin for the LMS and as my receiver has Airplay I thought I'd give that a go. I wasn't expecting it to sound any different to the stream to the CCA but it did. Not necessarily better but a bit louder (which always tricks you into thinking its better).

So my question is should streaming from LMS to Chromecast Audio be the same as it streaming to Airplay?

Cebolla

In theory it shouldn't make any difference, since AirPlay streams audio losslessly at the CD res of 16bit/44.1kHz and I believe all of Spotify's audio is sourced at CD res. I'm assuming the louder sound is due to the receiver's hardware, rather than the AirPlay Bridge 3rd party LMS plugin's doing.

However it may be worth asking the question on the appropriate thread in the Logitech community's 3rd Party Software forum, just in case there's a plugin config setting that's causing the difference - both the AirPlay Bridge & the CastBridge plugins are produced by the same person, philippe_44:
ANNOUNCE: AirPlay Bridge = integrate AirPlay devices with LMS (squeeze2raop)

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Have you connected the CCA using an optical cable or analogue cables.

If it's using analogue cables there's an option in the settings menu (in the home app) to enable full dynamic range. The default is off and the output is eq'd to suit smaller speakers.
The setting doesn't apply to a digital connection but I thought it worth mentioning.

Cebolla

Good point - I'd assumed the CCA's digital output was being used, with the OP mentioning having a receiver, but you never know.

Might also be worth comparing with the UPnP/DLNA Bridge LMS plugin (again by philippe_44), if the receiver has a built-in UPnP/DLNA renderer. Should also be the same in theory.

Last edited:

the groundsman

Thanks - Its a very old receiver with no optical input, but I was aware aware of the full dynamic range toggle, so that is on :)

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom