1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LMP mount questions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by IPlowman, Aug 15, 2003.

1. IPlowman

IPlowman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll be purchasing a LMP mount fairly soon for my panasonic 300 fairly soon. Just a couple of questions does the mount have any vertical adjustment ??. Its going to be used with a Grandview screen (already positioned), this seems to only drop in steps of 4 to 6 inches and whats the best way to position the projector correctly. :confused:

2. warboy

warboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just got my lmp mount (thanks again andy) and what a mount it is!
    I've also got a Grandview
    I haven't fitted the mount yet but the way I see it is...
    If your Grandview is already up, pull the screen down to your preferred stop point (equal black borders all round?) and then measure distance from ceiling to where the white of the screen begins. Then I guess it's a case of buying the mount with a length closest to that measurement, including the keystone kit ( which is incedently really well made).. you can then adjust to fit, hopefully without having to use any/too much keystone
    That's my in tention anyway - if anyone's got any better suggestions - let us know!
    good luck

3. vdeknock

vdeknock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You also need to make allowance for the offset from the bottom of the projector to the bottom of the lens. This is normally a given dimension by the vendor of the projector.

You will also need to offset the support off-centre by the distance from the centre of he lens to the centre of the bracket.

4. warboy

warboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    indeed

5. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I have the projector (ptae 300), I have the mount (LMP) and I have the screen (Nexnix 8ft elec.). I intend to get the screen up (middle of the wall) and then position my projector to fit the screen without any zoom or keystone (yeah right!). I have had my cables built into my ceiling and have them dropping through at about the 14ft point (from screen).

Hopefully I wont have too many snaggs.:rolleyes:

6. warboy

warboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone got a plasterboard ceiling that they are fixing/fixed an LMP mount to? be grateful for suggestions?
    My flat has plasterboard attatched to joists which in turn are attatched to the concrete floor of the flat above me, so I have no access form above.
    Also any handy tips for running cable through the ceiling would be helpful

I'll get there in the end and it will all be worth it...

7. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I NEVER buy any mount for any projector, the reason is that to align a projector so that it is optically correct is quite a hard task. So because of the realistic errors you will come across the mounting holes of a 3rd party vendor and indeed the PJ manufacturer are in the wrong place! Hard to believe but it is true. I ALWAYS design my own mounts to the exact spec I need for the particular install, using the optical axis, theoretical projection point, exit pupil location and C of G. The mounting holes will then only translate the movement I desire in a single plane at a time. This ensures a perfect optically aligned system without any digital correction (discounting lens errors!!)

This is not to say other mounts will not work, but I will place a hefty bet that most if not all will have some kind of slight distortion errors.

8. warboy

warboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Anders - that's really helpful.
    Unfortunately, I left school at the age of 6 and was stuck up chimneys to earn my supper, so i missed out on TD, metalwork and physics classes. And to further complicate matters my girlfriend won't let me keep the lathe in the bedroom - what's a man to do?

9. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get a crack for some CAD software and design your own. I don't make mine either cause I haven't got the time.

I wasn't meaning to put you off, just mearly alerting you to potential problems you may come across. I am sure you will be OK, just you might have to add in some slight distortion.

10. warboy

warboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fair enuff.
    I'm fairly sure I can get very close to 'spot on' without using any keystone.
    as long as I can get the lens dead centre I can move the screen housing slightly up or down to get it right.
    Plus the fact that the LMP is such a well made and good looking mount I had to have one. (helped by the fact that Andy @ LMP used my TW100 for a template and consequently gave me the mount gratis in return)

I would still appreciate any ideas as to how to actually attatch the mount to the ceiling.
    I'm currently thinking of attatching a plate of 12m MDF through plasterboard and into the joists, then attaching the mount to the MDF sheet. painting the MDF same colour as the ceiling and maybe even routing the edges to make it slightly less brutal??????????

11. uksteve69

uksteve69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to be attaching my LMP mount directly to the joists using 2 of the 4 mounting points on the mount. I think it should still be very firm and safe with just the 2. Doing all this however is gonna a be a right pain as I'll have to pull up the floor boards in the above bedroom to be able to run the cables in the ceiling and also find an appropriate joist. Should be worth it in the end though!!.

12. Hugh

Hugh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,118
    Warboy,

First off, thanks for letting Andy use your TW100 to build a mount. I was just too far away, would have had to back and forth with cardboard cutouts.

I'm about to order mine, Just need to work out the length of the main pipe. Anyway, as for mounting it, I shall be fixing 2 screwbolts to one of the beams. The other 2 will just go through the cieling board (plasterboard)for looks.

Whoa, you're thinking. Just 2 bolts ?

Yes. 2 will be fine. Just find the centre of the beam (I used a very thin screwdiver and hammered it through the plaster board, then moved a touch further up the room until I hit wood, then found the other side of the beam) and drill a hole a bit smaller than the screwbolt (so as not to split the beam), and screw either the front 2 or back 2 straight into the beam. Or left 2 and right 2 depending on the direction of your beam.

It will hold. I've had my Sony VW10 held up that way for nigh on two years without a murmur and the Sony is a hell of a lot heavier than the Epson.

The celing bracket can hold me swinging from it. Not that I constucted a swing in my living room. Well, not for long anyway :D

Use this information a a guide only. I take no responsibility for rotton beams coming crashing down.

13. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
  14. vdeknock

vdeknock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    warboy, I am also glad you did the template as I have just ordered one, but it is coming to Oz with my sister so I wont have it for a while. If you are going to use two of the screws through the plasterboard use butterfly bolts. They have the ends that spring out. This will spread the load over a greater area. I have the advantage of having a roof space to build a small frame using two existing roof members for the other holes.

15. warboy

warboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that - will investigate 'butterflies'

16. andypaton

andypaton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Vincent your mount is safe at your sisters, delivered personally (also a little present from me in the U/K).
    I hope you are not thinking of mounting through plasterboard? Not recommended for even the 100mm mount, so yours at 600mm don’t even thing about it.

Let me know when it’s installed. A couple of photos would also be nice.

Good luck & I really, really hope you like the mount.

17. vdeknock

vdeknock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should have the unit around the end of september. Will send some photos for sure. I will be bolting to the ceiling beams using all four bolt holes.

18. therecanbeonly1

therecanbeonly1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have received my free mount today:clap: for Sony VW12 HT, afer giving Andy the specs by email and post, all I can say is 'WOW' :smashin:the look and quality is outstanding for what would be a really exceptional price,Well done Andy.

19. Hugh

Hugh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,118
    Got my LMP mount for the TW100. Stunning quality and exceptional work from Andy. Sent the cheque Thursday and it turned up Saturday morning. Thanks again Andy. :smashin:

For those about to mount, here's what I used. From B&Q, 2 deck screws size 3.8mm x 60mm through the back two mount holes into ceiling beam.
    For the front two holes I've gone with 2 "Interset plasterboard fixing" with a drill diameter 8mm. Drill through the plaster board, slot one of these into the hole, tighten the screw which will open and clamp the fixing to the otherside of the plasterborard. Unscrew the bolts, and you're ready to put the ceiling plate up. :lesson:

Solid as a rock. That mount ain't moving in a hurry. looks great too. :clap: