1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LMP case build

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Tim Cooper, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi all
    Received my case yesterday was unable to post until to-day....
    The case is suprisingly light being wholly made of aluminium should aid with cooling (heatsink effect).
    I must say the condition of the cases is 1st class not a scuff scratch or finger print to be seen. Andy Paton hand delivered them; a case (sic) of above & beyond i'd say.
    Right, a Pioneer 106s slot loading dvd-rom , Enermax 350watt PSU (quiet jobby), a floppy drive, round eide/floppy cables, were purchased, i was going to buy a Pentium 4 chip & Gigabyte mobo', but VGI the local computer shop, had no lower spec'd P4's in stock; i know some will say go the AMD route, but to be honest i've heard of sooo many compatability issues with AMD chipset's, to me it's a no brainer, although, having said that, my mate (A Pocklington) runs a AMD machine with no problems.
    First job was to strip my old kit out of my old machine which has served me well for nearly 2 years.
    Kit that's going over:
    Soyo 6ba+100 slot 1 mobo.
    IBM 60gig 75GXP Newly relaced under warrantty (piece of crap this is my 4th IBM in 2 years)
    Intel Pentium 3 800 100mhz FSB CPU.
    512mb Crucial cas 2 sd-ram.
    Audiophile 24/96 soundcard.
    Radeon 7200 Graphics with 5 BNC mod.
    Ken Hotte modded WinTV capture card.
    Intel Pro NIC.
    I removed the NINE (count-em) screws which hold the LMP casing on, the rest is pretty straight forward,the Enermax was fitted first, all holes etc lined up perfectly. Mobo' next in, but first you have to fit the supplied LMP mobo' risers these are longer than the standard brass ones so don't lose em.For the noob's & feint of heart Andy has supplied printed instructions & a floppy with pictures.
    Hdd was next, again all holes lined up perfectly although you will need a long screw driver to fit 2 HDD screws, better to remove the hdd drive bay from the case altogether & fit the screws, but i'm a lazy git.The Lmp case is able to take 2 hdd drives in the drive bay, i only have the 1 hdd & i fitted it to the lower position in the drive bay, the thinking is that the heat will dissipate through the bottom of the case (heatsink effect).
    The next & fiddly bit is the fitting of the dvd-rom, this entails removing the fascia because the Pioneer fit's in through the front you have remove 3 screws from the underneath of the case & 2 m5 nuts the fascia then tips forward to aid installation of the rom (instructions & piccy's on the floppy) at this point you have to remove some tape which holds the cases eject button during transit, carefully replace the fascia, trying not to dis-lodge the eject button move the dvd-rom until you "feel" that the cases eject button is pushing against the dvd-roms eject button at this point you can tighten the dvd-rom to it's bay.
    The last bit was fitting a floppy as you will see the LMP case has no provision for a floppy drive other than fitting one internally which is what i did,i used some velcro & put it on top of the dvd-rom there are plenty of positions for you fit one inside the case.I still like to use the floppy for Ghost, yes i could use a bootable cd-rom but i like the floppy, there are usb solutions but they are 40-50 quid so i'll stick with this one for now, BTW the floppy is enabled-disabled via the bios, in my case i just change the boot-up sequence.
    Right all done fired it up.. bingo.. luverly jubbly all fine.
    As a side note i cannot praise Enermax enough for their first class PSU apart from the sound of silence the quality of the PSU speaks volumes, this PSU used in conjuntion with Mark Grant's excellent cableing (you should see his power cords...WOW) the RF that used to plague me (sky & Dscaler) has all but disappeared.
    Once in windows i installed the Pioneer dvd-rom "quiet mode" software...there we have it.
    I'm well pleased with the case the look quality etc etc, it looks like a piece of hi-fi kit & is miles better than my painted desktop case. The LMP case to my knowledge is the only one that is wholly 100% British, so i think Andy Paton deserves to win (& no i didn't receive a large dis-count) just credit where credit's due....so buy one.....Land of hope and glory.......
    Cheers.
    Tim.

Attached Files:

2. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    another

Attached Files:

3. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    another..

Attached Files:

4. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    another...

Attached Files:

5. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    another.... must get around to do some dusting:blush:

Attached Files:

6. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    last 1

Attached Files:

7. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Jusy uploaded the above rebuild to my webspace the full sized photo's are there.

8. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Looks great! I managed to totally miss this whole LMP case thing, so may look into it if my own design doesn't get off the ground (and the rate I'm (not)progressing it could well be!

I only noticed the whole extra forum on it last week!

9. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Yo Nut,
    I had my reservations about the case at first but now it's built......i love it's look, not to fussy, none of that VFD cack & the slot loading pioneer looks soooo sexy ;)
    All in all well worth it IMHO.
    Cheers.
    Tim.

10. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ah, I like my VFD tho :) Only for music tho, otherwise don't need it for more than a second or so when changing volume. I'd still prefer to do my own as it's that personal thing. Of course being a lazy sod kinda makes it a slow project :D

11. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Ever thought of buying a cd player then;)
    No accounting for taste i suppose:D
    What case are you looking to get then?

Tim

12. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I bought a new LCD panel to go with my new Music PC but its a bit large to fit in the case so it will have to go on top.

Link

13. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Jeff,
    OT for this thread but where can you buy in this country an x capture card & does dscaler4 support it fully?
    Cheers
    Tim

14. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I havn't seen any info on Xcapture cards in the UK yet. It is fully supported in the latest alpha release in that it has svideo and composite ports and they work and you can adjust all the variuos video setting like regular bt cards. Picture on my setup is clean as a whistle, the problem is the Chroma is shifted a few pixels. Sometimes it doesn't really show other times it sticks out. Even the H3D card had this to a lesser extent. The good news is that John is working on a Chroma filter that might fix this. Another interesting option is that the Philips video decoder chip is also supported in DScaler now. Terratec do a capture card called the Cinergy 400 based on the chip. I've been looking out for the card for a while now and someone on AVS today reported it working with DScaler. Again the card isn't available in the UK :( but I suspect that it may be the better card. Terretec make quality cards even if their drivers aren't up to much.

Jeff

15. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Oi! :p

I'm about a 1/4 of the way into designing my own which if I ever finish I'll get manufactured.

16. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    My Asus TUSL2-C came today as did the new blue LED from Andy @ LMP still no CPU from Dabs (1.4 celery).
    When i get it i'll make sure my camera is fully charged this time & i'll redo the rebuild.
    Cheers.
    Tim.