LLU Clarification - O2/Be

StevieBuck

Prominent Member
Reaction score
While browsing the web the other day, I read a post where someone was recommending another person to go for O2 broadband, but only if "LLU was completed".

This was the first I'd heard of this term, and after a further search ended up at samknows.com, which says that the LLU date for my local exchange here in Aberdeen is set for this Saturday (31/01/09).

The reason they were mentioned on that other site was becuase they offer fast download speeds, and after I check O2's website myself I see they offer up to 20meg download and 2.5meg upload which I'd really be interested in.

Can anyone confirm that when this is completed (assuming it does go ahead this weekend), that I can get these sort of speeds? I assumed that this was only possible over cable, which definitly isn't available in my area.

I checked their availability checker and was getting referred back to their access packages which offer upto 8 meg - but that's what I have at the moment. I can see that as LLU hasn't been completed that this info is correct though.

One final thing, Is O2 and Be the same company? Just wondered when they were listed together on that samknows website, whereas the other companies were all individual.

What speed you get when O2 have installed their kit in you local exchange will depend, as it does now, on the length and quality of your line. However whereas now you get UP TO to 8Mb/s you will be able to get UP TO 20 Mb/s.

line stat where you goto the router and it show like this im on the o2 wireless router box but you would after wait till you home

Uptime: 0 days, 0:29:53

Modulation: G.992.5 Annex M US 56

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,823 / 18,391

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 34.92 / 114.52

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 13.0 / 18.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.0 / 22.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.5 / 6.5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / BDCM

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 5,209

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 29

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 12,854 / 26

I've checked the status on my Netgear DG834G router. the only similar looking details to your that I can see are as below:

Modem
ADSL Firmware Version 6.01.00.12
Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 8192 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
VPI 0
VCI 38

What exactly are you looking for within those stats?

How can you tell from that?
I was guessing based on your current speed. However, I had assumed that you were using BT IPStream. I now realise that you haven't said who your current ISP is and so you may well be on an LLU service already. Who is your ISP.

O2 now own Be*.
Slighty different services:
Be* 24mb, O2 20mb
Be allows users to alter their SN margins for faster or more stable connections
Be allows Fastpath (Gaming mode) for lower pings when gaming, although comes at cost of no error correction and stability
Be costs more and its customer services are abroad, O2 is in Scotland.
Both ping under 50 anywhere in europe without fastpath, normally 20ish to jolt etc. except for the last few weeks with congestion problems which have now mostly been sorted.

Only just moving to o2 but Be is a truley fast network but if you are over 45db the expect a lot of disconnections, as in rarely lasting 2 days before reconnecting.

Check Samknows for how far you are from your exchange. Under 1000 feet and you'll get around 20MB, by 1.5 miles you'll down to 10

Give o2 a call o800 230 0202 and select option 1 when prompted they will be able to check your line and tell you what speed to expect... make sure the exchange has definiteley been updated first tho'
It is a better option than the guesswork and assumptions

I rang last night and they told me my mate who is 1.5-2 miles away from exchange can expect around 18meg

cheers

Ned

Thanks again for the info guys.

I went back to samknows.com and did a check to see how far I am from the exhange. It seems I'm relatively close - 660m, or according to my 'calculations' about 0.4 miles away.

Of course it still just says on that website that the LLU date is set for today, so I'll have to wait & see if it's gone ahead first. At least I know there's a good chance I'll get better speeds if I go ahead and switch and that this isn't all just a waste of time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom