LJK Setright.............

deanym

Prominent Member
Reaction score
LJK Setright died a couple of weeks ago, was wondering if he influenced/affected anyone here when writing about cars or Hifi?

His prose used to be used an example of how one should do creative writing by an English Teacher of mine. In this regard I would say he has been extremely influential. I remember reading a 70's issue of Car where he tested the Lamborghini Urraco and I wanted to be him unequivocably. Possibly less the unique facial hair.

I remember his musings well from CAR magazine in the late 80's/early 90's.

He always struck me as a very sagely figure, posibly due to the inimitable whiskers he posessed. And he was the complete antithesis to the Jeremy Clarkson school of motoring journalism, being both technically literate as well as verbally.

How old was he? He looked about 70 even then in the 1980s.

Younger than he looked- 1930 birthday I think.

Leonard was a really interesting writer, one of the best, his articles in Car about cars, bikes, hi-fi were fascinating. He didn't toe the corporate line, very much his own man.
His passion for his VW Scirocco Storm was well documented, especially the time he nearly killed himself whilst thrashing it. In a way it is a shame he never made the transition to television, he would have been superb.
Funny how back then, reading about journos testing Lambos, Porsches, Delta Integrales, at highest speeds on public roads across Europe, long before Gatsos, it all sounded so appealing, great stories. Apart from the prestige, were they any different to boy racers and speeding sales reps, I believe so.
Now we have Top Gear and The Stig.

Jeremy Clarkson is a one-off too, for all the criticism he takes. :cool:

gringottsdirect said:
Jeremy Clarkson is a one-off too, for all the criticism he takes. :cool:

Personally i like Clarkson. Once you get past the fact that he enjoys winding up the politically correct brigade and don't take his comments too seriously he was a real breath of fresh air compared to the William Woolards and Chris Goffeys of Top Gear before he came along.

But I agree - it would have been great to see if the great Setright could have made the transition to the small screen.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom