Living with the HGS-15

Rob

Prominent Member
Reaction score
OK,

I've been living with this beast for a couple of weeks now, and have been able to give it a good going over. I was on the lookout for the perfect sub (isn't everyone?) , and was impressed with what I had seen and heard in the past with Velodyne.

I found the sub very easy to place, so after trying out several positions, I settled on the most convieneant spot, which was just to one side of the centre. I spent a week just running in and trying to find the optimum settings, which takes time of course.

I gave the sub its first real test with The Haunting. A movie I know pretty well from past subs that I've had. What was immediatly apparent was the clarity and depth that I could never find with other subs. Chapter 17, where Lili Taylor is thrown out of bed is a good example. the whole room shook, but it was totally controlled. There was no distortion or boom. I then stuck on JPIII DTS. WOW!! the level was too high though. A quick touch on the small, but functional remote cured it. I had simelar experiences with other sub testers, such as U571, Twister and Titan AE. Awesome!

I also wanted to see how the sub coped with music, although I don't yet have any hi-res stuff. It was superb, from classical to dance/ rock. Bass was extremly tight and powerfull, even at high levels. I guess that 1250w amp doesn't have to work too hard!

Well, as you can see I'm impressed. The HGS-15 suits me. I decided in the 15 over the 18, as I had a Velodyne F-1800 RII before, and it was too much for my room, which isn't massive. Thanks to Eric for making the purchase possible, and providing answers and service that would certainly put most retailers to shame ;)

Rob.

What do you mean when you say the 18" was too powerfull for your room, do you mean the power isn't needed or it was overpowering the setup?

Surely as long as the sub's volume is set to blend with the other speakers it can theoretically be a 30" subwoofer and still be fine in a small room. Well my room is only 3.1m x 3.3m and it's getting the HGS18 treatment soon so I too am curious what others think on this matter.

P.S - Doesn't mean I'm having second thoughts Uncle Eric :D

Hi Rob,
You're very welcome. Glad you love the sub. I lived with a dem model of the HGS-15 for a few weeks and grew to love the thing. It really is an amazingly clean and powerfull sub. Also, as you say, the remote is very handy.

Just a word about the little remote that comes with the HGS-15/18. Many of us spend time with our SPL meters setting up the system to reference level, but at the end of the day, this can be somewhat futile. Forget the fact that DTS LFE is generally at higher levels than DD, there are variations from DD to DD. Or DTS to DTS. Each sound designer has his or her idea of how much bass to use and where. Sometimes, for our personal tastes this is too much (or too little) and varies from disc to disc.
This is where the dinky little remote comes in. Its simple buttons, "plus"/"minus" and "reset" (back to your original reference setting) is one of the most handy items I have in my HT room. Easy peasy.

Originally posted by Apocalypse
Doesn't mean I'm having second thoughts Uncle Eric :D
Phillip,
Don't worry mate. I've got another coming to join my lonely Godzilla. Can you imagine a pair of HGS-18's :eek::D

The Velodyne F1800 was somewhat of a loose untidy sub. Powerfull but not the most accurate of things.
This was discontinued some time ago and was replaced by the far more superior HGS-18. This in turn has been tweeked and updated to the HGS-18 ll (Which is the current top of the range in Velodynes reportoire and IMO probably the best mainstream sub on the planet.

OMG, 2 x HGS18s :eek:

When I checked out the size measurements of the HGS18 I realised I had to install some wall mounted shelves so I could remove the current bookshelf where the sub needs to go, my present sub easily fits in that area though :)

I'm trying to wait patiently for the HGS18 but I'm kidding myself, I've reached the stage of chronic drooling now so I've installed a gutter to the base of my chin :clown:

Apocalypse,

I just found the F18 too overpowering, although the HGS-18 is a newer and I'm sure, a much better unit. I only had the volume knob on about 1-2, and it nearly destroyed my house . The sheer air pressure used to cause my old Seleco projector to shut down from time to time, and a crack actually appeared in the ceiling above the sub. :eek: Not good. Whether the sub caused this or not, I'll never know, but it did seem a coincedence so I had to pass it on. I'm very happy with the HGS-15.

Cheers Rob.

Originally posted by Rob
Apocalypse,

I just found the F18 too overpowering, although the HGS-18 is a newer and I'm sure, a much better unit. I only had the volume knob on about 1-2, and it nearly destroyed my house . The sheer air pressure used to cause my old Seleco projector to shut down from time to time, and a crack actually appeared in the ceiling above the sub. :eek: Not good. Whether the sub caused this or not, I'll never know, but it did seem a coincedence so I had to pass it on. I'm very happy with the HGS-15.

Cheers Rob.
A slight play on Oppenheimers words would suffice now I think

"For I am become HGS18, the bringer of destruction"

Well Rob, you've caused me to go to Defcon 2 now in my room, thanks a bunch m8 :mad: :eek: :p (only kidding)

Guys, I actually had the door of the Batcave replaced on Saturday. Previously, I used a very heavy solid hardwood door that was over 2 inches thick. Godzilla nearly took it of by the hinges :eek:
I've now replaced this with a vault like contraption that is amazing. To give you an idea on how elaborate this new door is, the door replacement guys came at 9am, and working without a break, left at 5pm :eek:
It consists of an outerframe of steel envoloped in plastic with the centre panel that has two 1" HDF panels sanwiching a 3/8ths steel plate. There are heavy duty rubber refridgerator style seals all around the door and door frame. When the door is shut, if I lift the steel handle upwards, at least five locking levers hook onto part of the frame and suck the door onto the seals.
Apart from being a superb security device, it also makes the room pretty much airtight and improves the soundproofing imensely.
Because the LF soundwaves now find it more difficult to escape, I've actually had to re-calibrate Godzilla because apart from trying to knock me off my chair, it was also threating to rearrange my insides. Unbelievable!!!

so when are you doing a demo for us lot then Eric?;)

Part of me doesn't believe what everyone is saying....so I'd love to find out:D

Eric, isnt it about time HCC featured your HC room?

I was thinking the exact same thing BadAss. It would make a change to see a setup that's been done correctly and with care. Rather than some of the half assed custom install's the insist on showing us where someone spends £10K on speakers and then has them encased in half a ton of MDF cabinets :D. Then they follow that up with spending another £15K on brand spanking new Barco CRT only to paint the walls and ceiling white so to reflect every available bit of ambient light onto the screen :D. Perhaps we should send in a request?

Cheers

Dave

Originally posted by Rob
OK,

I've been living with this beast for a couple of weeks now....

Rob.

I’ve been living with my HGS15 for just a couple of days so I will post some thoughts when I’ve got to know it better. However, my very first impression was “is it really going that deep” followed quickly by “oh yes it is – it’s just incredibly clean bass”.

Most impressive DVD I watched with it wasn’t Titan AE or Saving Private Ryan (although they were good) – it was the bit on Titanic where they shove the engines into reverse – good god. My cat came down from the window sill and laid on the floor less than two feet from the cone just before I played the Titanic scene – did he scarper? No - he didn’t bat a furry eyelid – he’s a tough cookie!

Matt.

Ever tried Event Horizon R2? This is a well know DVD for abnormally high bass levels. I think something went wrong on the transfer. And if your cat dont move with this film then call in the exorcist cus thats cats possesed by the devil!:devil:

Originally posted by Matt F
My cat came down from the window sill and laid on the floor less than two feet from the cone just before I played the Titanic scene – did he scarper? No - he didn’t bat a furry eyelid – he’s a tough cookie!
Nice one :D :D
that must be one tough cat you got there:eek:

Originally posted by BadAss
BA, Dave,
I did send off an email at some point last year but never even recieved a reply :confused:

He doesn't advertise enough with them. Have you never noticed the ratio of featured installers to advertisements is quite high.

Originally posted by uncle eric
BA, Dave,
I did send off an email at some point last year but never even recieved a reply :confused:

Isn't it obvious Eric? Your Batcave doesn't have any magnolia paint in it:p . It doesn't, does it! Does it! Say it ain't so!:rolleyes:

He doesn't advertise enough with them. Have you never noticed the ratio of featured installers to advertisements is quite high.

You may well have a pont there Ian.

Cheers

Dave

Perhaps they are figuring out how to get over the drawbridge & moat outside Uncle E's palacial setting

Adzman

Well I hope you dont mind Eric but ive just started a Petition to get your HC in print. Check it out over in the General Chat forum.

Well I hope you dont mind Eric but ive just started a Petition to get your HC in print. Check it out over in the General Chat forum.
Wow, I'm honoured. :blush: :blush:
"If you build it they will come"?
Who knows.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom