1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living with RPTV

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by darrens, Jun 24, 2005.

1. darrens

darrens
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like many people, I'm in the market for a new TV and after a month or so of reading these forums I'm now absolutely sure....that I'm confused as hell.

I can't even decide whether to go for plasma or RPTV but am swaying towards RPTV because of the (supposed) better PQ.

So, I need to go and trudge round some shops looking at these things but there are a couple of things that I'm going to find difficult to judge by looking at these in a shop so I wonder if some current owners can help me.

Firstly, do you need to dim the lights, close the curtains to get a decent picture? Compared to CRT (which is all I know) are RPTVs more sensitive to ambient light? Obviously any TV is going to give you a better picture in a darker room but compared to CRT is RPTV PQ any more sensitive to ambient light?

Secondly, fan noise. Can you hear the fan if you are sitting 12 feet away and you mute the sound on the TV?

I realise that these two questions are somewhat dependent on which RPTV you're talking about so let's say it will be either the SAGEM HD range or the SIM Domino.

2. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    Any TV will look worse with direct sunlight shining on it, it's just that RPTVs will probably look even more washed out. I personally have one of the pair of curtains I have in my living room permanently closed, but then I'm used to that having had an RPTV of one sort or another for over fifteen years. Then again, it's my house and I say what goes. My GF has her own house so she's happy to let me do as I please. Used to upset my ex-wife quite a bit, heh heh.

As for fan noise, yes on my Tosh 52" there is a very faint hum that I can hear stood next to it, but it's barely discernible from 15 ft away and that's in absolute silence. The moment there's any sort of volume from the sound system it's completely lost.

Regards

Mark

3. darrens

darrens
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark, thanks for that. Just to clarify, I wouldn't have direct sunlight on the screen but there is a large (North facing) window to the side of the room without curtains. It lets in plenty of light but never direct sunlight.

4. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    Really only you know what's acceptable. There's no doubt that CRTs and RPTVs look better in subdued lighting. Today's DLP RPTVs certainly can be made bright enough to see a reasonable picture in broad daylight, but the lamp will last longer and you'll get a more filmic picture with better blacks and shadow detail with it set on low. It's one of those things that you won't know till you try it.

Regards

Mark

5. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    The good thing about DLPs is that they don't have a shiny glass front like plasmas. My DLP (Optoma RD50) also goes brighter than any plasma I have seen.

6. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Sagem and my lounge has a huge glass wall on one side and as mentioned it dosent look as good as it would without this degree of natural light - however the picture is still very watchable. I like these DLP tvs so much that I have just put my name own for the brand new Sagem HD-D56!! Got to wait 6 week or so for delivery as there are none in the UK as yet - Im counting the days!! In my opinion you will be very happy with a new high def DLP set!
    Also the fan noise on the Sagem is barely noticable when on mute and cannot be heard with the sound on.
    Hope this helps.

7. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Well said Chris :thumbsup:

8. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Thanks Razor,

Mind you, in this heat my RD50 sounds like concorde with all the internal fans wurring :(

9. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

:hiya: Chris

Can you hear them going faster in this heat. I hadn't noticed. :rolleyes:

10. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    possibly, either that or another one swithes in, I think there is a fourth fan at the right hand intake that starts up, its b&*%~y noisy though..... SORRY, WHAT WAS THAT? .... FOUR LUMPS PLEASE!

11. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

I didnt know that. How did you find out? It wasn't in the manual was it ;)

Must be a fail safe incase things get very hot. What do companies do in countries which have tempretures in their 40c, does everything melt or are their tollerences higher? There was a thread of someones dvd player over heating causing permanant damage. I think it was a Yamaha player. :D

12. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I found out because I can hear a loud fan type noise suddenly kicking off from the right hand side of the TV. Don't forget you have a RD65 that might have a different layout.

I think my RD50 is a lemon, I should have swapped it for another RD50 when I bought it.

13. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Chris :hiya:

Oh dear why do you say you have got a bad one? Is there no way an engineer can come out?

14. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    No one else complaines about the fan noise of their sets.

I had the engineer come out. he completely stripped the TV down. declared he had no fans with him and put it back together again. Because all the cable runs where then disturbed all analog inputs now look quite noisy, the teletext has a 50hz ripple running up it. As I only use the DVI input that does not matter to me. I just can't be bothered with those cowboy engineers again.

15. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Chris :hiya:
    I would write a letter to Optoma insisting that they put right your set. I wouldnt put up with that. Try Roy Stonebank at Optoma he was the only person I got any joy with.

16. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would'nt worry to much about fan noise in DLP's beacuse most other kit has fan noise, PS2 and Sky+ :D Just turn up the sound :smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

17. brett0004

brett0004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am with you Blondie, I cant understand all this talk about fan noise, what, do you all sit there with the volume off and look at the pictures? I paid 3 grand for surround and speakers so I can crank it up like a theatre, my dlp's fan noise isnt a patch on my PS2's fan.

18. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Blondie :hiya:

I think Chris is saying that there is a fault with his set. My father has a Infocus 7205 DLP HD2+ front pro and the fans got swappd out after 18 months or so as they were getting louder. Once the fans were replaced it solved the problem :thumbsup:

19. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    FWIW the fan on my Sagem 50 was noticably louder than the ones in the Samsung SP50 I now have - but even then the Sagem were very rarely noticable (basically, only when you turned everything off to go to bed). Havbe only heard the Samsung once and that was by trying (and it was damn quiet at the time)

Cheers

Greg

20. darrens

darrens
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I totally disagree that fan noise doesn't matter. If you have to turn your sound system up to get rid of the fan noise then you have a problem because even though you may blanket the fan noise it will still be there affecting the quality of the sound (even if you can't obviously hear it). If you can clearly hear the fan with the sound muted while you're in your "viewing position" then I guarantee you that you aren't getting the best out of your sound system no matter how loud you crank it.

Obviously it's all relative. For instance, the fans on a Sky box are too quiet too notice (unless you put your ear next to them) whereas the fans on a PS2 (original models) are far too loud and intrusive.

Anyway, thanks for the replies even if they do prove to be slightly inconclusive.