1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

Living up to expectations ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by sirata, May 7, 2005.

1. sirata

sirata

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I am in the process of a home cinema build, and follow the builds on this forum daily, but they all stop at the final build stage. I was wondering is everyone pleased with that they did it,do they use it often, or does the novelty wear off soon./ anything different they wish they had done.
    I am undecided wether to put the av equip under the screen or at the back of the room, as i feel at the front all the equipment lights could be a distraction, would welcome feedback
    Thanks
    Dave.

2. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Hi Sirata

For me the novelty still hasn't worn off after a year of owning all the kit, and now that I am in the middle of building a dedicated room I think it will get even better. Although the room isn't finished, the lads were round for night of Tiger Woods on the big screen and a few socialible beers. Everyone was very impressed with it, so I can only imagine how it will look once it's finished.

I keep my gear under the screen and to be honest I haven't noticed it, even with the Limit DVD player having the brightest blue lights on the front panel.

Hopefully I wil be able to stick up some updates to my thread very soon.

3. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Dave
    I have only had my cellar complete since about end of Feb, so is still a novelty, room wise, i have had my pj for about a year and a half now, amp for over two years but have recently replaced my speakers. The room is everything that i would want from a dedicated room and i use it a few times a week, i have also used the equipment a few times a week since i have owned it.
    If anything, so long as you plan the room right, it is the equipment that you really want to change, for me i am after another amp and a new pj.

I did have my receiver under the screen, it was originally planned to be at the side of the viewing position but i changed this once i moved everything in :suicide: , in my opinion it did look a bit cluttered, lights didnt really bother me but i have now moved it all to the side of the viewing position as i had originally planned.

4. Jamiroquai78

Jamiroquai78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Dave,

IMO I think people put the av equipment under the screen because thats traditionally where it went when we used TV's because it had to be connected to the telly.

Personally I put mine towards the back as I needed to be within 5 metres of the PJ so it made sense.

For a first attempt I am very pleased and use it nearly everyday for an hour on the Xbox and about weekly for films/ playing with my decks.

The things I would be more careful of next time is pre-planning and being really sure of my full layout because although I knew roughly what I wanted if its not down in a project form you can forget and at the time minor details will become major headaches to fix after the built.

The two that spring to mind for me are.

1.Equipment should have been on the back wall BEHIND the chairs

2.I should have fitted all possible cable options up front to aid with future proofing.

to fix these now will be messy :mad:

The only other thing is make sure you have enough lighting options and sockets, again relatively cheap and easy to do up front but a bit more of a pain afterwards. Rather have them and not use them often than not have enough, again only IMHO :D

But I love it and would say to anyone do it.....do it now :devil: