Living room wall paint, dark or light for projector?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by brad123, Feb 12, 2009.

1. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Im moving into a new rented apartment and the landlord says I can have whatever colour walls I want for my projector in the living room, I dont want the hassle of screens etc so always just project onto a white wall direct from my PTAE3000.

So my question is should I have the walls off white or the walls darker, I have to live in this room too so dont want it dark purely for the projector, or I could have off white walls then the wall to project on can be darker, which would be better?

2. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,026
    Ideally deeper coloured walls will help the room reflection from washing out the image, but given it's a living room too makes a compromise neccesary. You could go for a light grey colour that would still help a little with room reflection, but still allow the PJ to give a good image. Off white or light grey would help the contrast of the image as a screen, however could you not have the screen wall white and the other walls darker? They would be painting the ceiling white anyway no doubt so it's not as if they'd need extra paint.

I've found that with my AE3000 unless I added extra black velvet around the room, then the change from my previous AE2000 was mostly lost due to room reflections.

3. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Hi yes I can have it however I want to be honest, any walls any colour.

4. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Im looking at projector wall matt white and all other walls light brown.

5. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,026
    That sounds like a good compromise. :thumbsup:

6. imjay

imjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I've always thought non-reflective more important than color though darken helps but doesn't need to be black.

We found the most light reflecting problem with our projector was the white screen and when we changed it for a Da-lite gray it was a big improvement light wise plus the gray made the scaling black bands almost invisible.

Best of Luck

7. IWC Dopplel

IWC Dopplel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    if you find the picture washed out in terms if contrast I would revie the threads on contrast and light control and look at temporary fixes when watching a film

8. turnamere

turnamere
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have used Fired Earth Carragheen for the walls in my cinema room, it is a very deep aubergine colour and about the flattest mattest paint I have ever used. It eats up any stray light, even when using two 500W task lights in the latter stage of my build you had to place the lights facing directly at what you were doing otherwise you might as well have been working in the dark. Used on the wall where you want to control light would work well and it has the added bonus of the wife acceptance factor. I used Fired Earth Amethyst for the ceiling, slightly lighter colour but still very matt. IIRC I needed about four coats of each to get an even finish.

Must get round to posting some pics.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  9. kgulls

kgulls

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Is that a trade colour paint or do you have to have it especially mixed?
    Looks very nice by the way.:thumbsup:

10. turnamere

turnamere
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Standard Fired Earth colour, you do need at least three, preferably four coats to get a good even coverage. The reward for the extra effort is a very dark room when the lights go down.

Wife chose the colour scheme so definately has the wife acceptance factor.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  11. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    OK ive sorted my projector wall, it will be matt white, now i need to choose my colour for the other 3 walls, not sure what to do, would painting the 3 walls a darker colour really improve my projector image that much?

Was thinking of a mid brown.

12. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    So the wall the image will go on is going to be matt white but I have 3 other walls I need to paint, I've been told a darker colour may help with the image, but it will only be light brown so will it have any effect at all, rather then all walls being matt white?

It has to be a paint pod paint as they use that machine so was thinking of going with cookie dough light brown.

Dulux PaintPod Matt Emulsion Cookie Dough 5L, 5010212525777

13. jacko5

jacko5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    The darkest and mattest paint you can live with is best. Even magnolia is better than white and the darker you go, the more effective it is.

14. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Cookie dough light brown ish is the darkest they have in a paint pod.

15. jacko5

jacko5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    That looks ok. Much better than white.
    You may want to consider treating the side walls with fabric, about five feet out. How about some nice dark brown velvet or velour curtains, which pull back into the corners when not in use. Would look nice against the cookie dough light brown. I bet the other half will love it.

16. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Wont have curtains will be blinds, thing is will a cookie dough light brown really make that much difference then an all white room.

17. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,026
    I remember reading somewhere about a Kodak grey colour card. It actually looked quite light, but would actually reflect much less light back at a screen as it is only 18% (IIRC) compared to white. I think it was probably Gary Lightfoot that posted it, but I couldn't find it now.

The Cookie dough colour (had been thinking of this myself for the next 'freshen up' of the living room) is quite dark compared to white (maybe less than the 18% of the Kodak grey card I was waffling about) , so I'm sure it will make a difference to PQ. It will also give the room a bit more 'warmth' than having stark white walls IMHO.

If I find the link to Gary's post I'll post back again. :)

EDIT: Mention of it here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/dlp-lcd-d-ila-projectors/410749-light-coloured-walls-just-me-2.html#post3627423

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  18. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
  19. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,026
    Hard to tell from those samples. If you go instore you can buy tester pots and paint a piece of A4 paper or card and compare them in your room. Otherwise you could copy the sample pictures off that web page into Photoshop and check the RGB values, just tried with Microsoft 'Paint' but it doesn't display the RGB values anyway that I can tell.

I think either would be far better than pure white from a projector point of view.

20. ben16v

ben16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    ive just painted my living room cookie dough and the PJ is much better than when the walls were magnolia, there are much less reflections,

21. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,026
    Sounds promising, I'm hoping to redo mine in that colour at some point (just a bit sick of DIY after 8 years :eek: of getting this house up to scratch). I doubt I'll get away with doing the ceiling that colour though, so my 'tent' will still be required.:rolleyes:

22. isayisay

isayisay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    what ever you do dont use silk;)

23. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,026
    I used matt in my existing room, though it is the lighter 'Egyptian Cotton'. I'm not so keen on Silk as it always shows up any minor bumps in the wall.

24. dalboy

dalboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sorry to jump in but im in a similar position.

Got a projector coming and dont know whether to paint the wall or get a screen.

I take it the wall to be painted needs to be completely flat with no bumps.

Also do people put a plain wallpaper on first then paint over or paint straight on the wall.

I can paint the wall any colour but I dont know whats best - I thought matte white would be best seeing as a screen is matte white?

Im getting an HD65 Optoma BTW.

Any help appreciated

25. jacko5

jacko5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Why don't you get some tester pots and try white and some light grey matt emulsions and paint some A4 sheets and stick them on the wall temporarily and see which you prefer. White will give the purest whites, whilst light grey will give deeper blacks.
    The wall doesn't have to be dead flat , by the way. Most pulldown screens have a few minor undulations and the projected image looks ok.

26. Sammy2008

Sammy2008
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    them paint pods are bad m8

27. redknag

redknag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Is this really noticeable? My whole house is magnolia as it has been from when It was built, and i'm scared if I paint one room i'll be expected to do every room. :(

28. stumci

stumci
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi everyone,

i guess im in the same position as a couple of you here.. i was randomly google'ing projector screen options.

im in the middle of a house renovation, and bought a projector (samsung sp-a400b) last week. i need to make my mind up what to do by next week as the plasterer is coming and ive got the electrician installing the cables into the walls and putting connection faceplates somewhere else in the room.

i was checking out the motorised screens on ebay (90 or 100 inches for about £130) but i think i'd rather paint the wall.

what caught my attention though was the mention of the paint pod, we have already decided to paint the other walls in the room a dark grey (i think it was cookie dough, but we looked at loads.. its similar to it anyway).

the wall should hopefully be perfectly smooth (if the plasterer does his job right) so im thinking i could get away with paint.

i'd rather paint the whole wall the same colour, any ideas which colour would be best? it doesnt need to be a paint pod colour.. i wont mind dusting off the paintbrush for just one wall ;)

also, ive read a lot about people saying a black border makes a huge difference, but i really dont see how it would improve the quality of the image, and i think having a black outline would look silly when the projector isnt turned on (it wont be very often).

thanks for reading and sorry for rambling on :p

29. silverback1

silverback1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Just a word of warning to the idea of painted wall versus screen..i made three attempts at this while waiting for my screen to arrive...plywood panel,painted basic mat white with mat black surround..nope..could see every grain line in the timber...covered panel with good quality lining paper..nope...could see even the texture of the paper...finally,many coats of mat white over the top..nope..still no good..one beamax pull down screen 150.00..bingo..magic,job done..could work for you but i will definately be sticking with a screen:thumbsup:

30. stumci

stumci
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hrm, some wise words there! i think hearing from someone that has been through all the things i've been thinking about might have put me off my attempt of saving a few pennies.

im not sure if im allowed to post links here or not.. (im new, sorry!) but could someone give me an opinion on this please?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/90-ELECTRIC-MOTORISED-HD-PROJECTOR-SCREEN-16-9-HD-GB_W0QQitemZ300312585899QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudiVideoElectronics_Video_Electronics?hash=item45ec0666ab&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1690|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

its motorised - anything that saves me from raising my arms gets a thumbs up from me... but would i get a good picture? or is it just someone selling cheap rubbish?