• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Living room to bedroom setup

lewsuth

Novice Member
Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help by the way…

In my living room I have Sky Plus, a PS4 and Apple TV. All these are situated in the corner of the room and I have around 4 cat5e cables from the TV (on another wall across the room) to the corner where all the appliances are. These are run through Cat5e cables > HDMI extender > splitter, which is what all the appliances HDMI cables are plugged into.

For the HDMI splitter and extender I was charged £250.00 and the Cat5e cables £80… Despite them only been spread about 6m under the carpet… Have a feeling I was overcharged for them but it’s being paid now. I also have Cat5e cables run from the master bedroom down into the corner where all the Appliances are.

At the moment if I want to play the PS4 I have to use a remote to change the HDMI source and then again if I want to change it back to Sky (same with Apple TV). Is there any products out there which will do this automatically? Say if I power up the Apple TV it will just switch HDMI source and then back to Sky if I power the sky box off and on?

Lastly what I would like to do is access all the products in the master bedroom through the Cat5e cables. I was told I could do this, but the HDMI splitters and Extenders would be in excess of £450 but i’m guessing theres a cheaper way if someone could help? It’d be very much appreciated...

Thanks again for your help!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I suspect your ‘Splitter’ (single Source to multiple Displays) is a Switch (multiple Sources to a single Display)!

SKY+ HD and Apple TV can be a challenge for an ‘automatic’ Switch as both devices have ‘always on’ HDMI Ports as they never fully go in/out of Standby!

Automatic switching is further complicated if you add in a second Zone (TV) – how will the switch know which source to send to where?

Will you want the ability to view one Source in the ‘TV’ room and simultaneously watch the same or a different Source in the Master Bedroom?

Is there a Surround Sound System anywhere in the mix?

Joe

lewsuth

Novice Member
Hi Joe, thanks for the reply. Yes you're correct it is a switch. Multiple sources to a single display, thanks for that.

I would like to just watch whatever is on downstairs simultaneously, would be perfect if for example I could use my PS4 which is situated downstairs, in the bedroom. And of course, watch and control sky from the bedroom which is also situated downstairs.

Also the only surround I have is a Sonos Playbar and Sonos Sub

Thanks again for your help. @Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
You could add one of our Octava HD14CATDA Distribution Amp with integral Extender with a single dual CAT Zone Receiver (approx. £280) to the Output of the Switch to allow simultaneous viewing on the local (HDMI) and remote (dual CAT) TV.

The system includes an IR return path from the Remote Zone to the Switch and Sources - we have a 4-head IR Blaster cable (+£10).

Media Factory - Octava HD14CATDA-UK, 1x4 HDMI over CAT5 distribution amp.

Keep in mind the PS4 Dualshock 4 Controller is Bluetooth not IR!

Joe

lewsuth

Novice Member
Thanks very much for your help Joe. So basically all I would need is this amp, a HDMI switch and Cat5e cables from both TV's to have all the appliances working on both TV's?

I appreciate that with the PS4 remotes, it's more to watch Blu-ray without needing another player.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Source > Switch > Octava DA > local TV (HDMI) plus Remote TV (dual CAT + Octava Zone Receiver).

For BD playback you ought to be OK with an optional ‘Remote’ for the PS4.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom