1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living room/Theatre Decorating tips.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by droolinggimp, Jun 6, 2005.

1. droolinggimp

droolinggimp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In hopefuly 2 weeks time I will be moving into a 3 bed detached house. The house doesnt need much redecorating as it is of a good standard already..

The situation and plans I have for this are as follows:

I have 2 room2 downstairs, a living room and a dining room. The dining room look as it will be used as the main living room it measures 10`5" x 10`5" (11`10" into square bay) and also used as the cinema too. I will be using a Panasonic AE700e and a 77" -100" diagonal screen.

The 32" crt tv will be placed in the bay and the screen will be protruding out of the bay by 5-6 inches. I will have the moterised screen mounted on the ceiling so it comes down about 2-3 inches infront of the TV screen (all central to the width of the room)

The projector will be ceiling mounted and will be a distance of roughly 9 feet away from the screen.

I have 6 B&W VM1`s.

Front speakers will be wall mounted horizontal 1" above the dado rail (standard height I guess)
    L/R rear will be wall mounted as high as possible Verticaly
    Center Rear horizontaly ceiling mounted pointing down towards the listening position

There will be 2x 2 seater sofas and 1 equipment rack (4 shelved glass and brushed metal clean lined thing) to house the Yamaha amp Samsung DVd player and both Xbox and PS2.

The 3 remaining walls will have plain glass picture mounts for some good quality movie posters probably 2 pictures on each wall..

As you can see for yoursleves I have already got a good idea on what to do.. BUT and its a big BUT what colour to paint the walls in....?????

Any ideas of good colours will be so welcome. please dont forget i got a dado rail so whould you have split level walls or have it all the same colour..

Neutral is the aim of the game. No pinks and neon blues please...

Regards Chris

2. Dwayne Dibley

Dwayne Dibley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    when you've got an hour or so trawl through THIS, people have posted pics of their cinema rooms, some very tasteful, others.... well you decide!

I recall seeing one with deep red walls (top half) and black carpet on the floor and bottom half of the wall... for the real cinema look... the missus was never gonna go for that tho!

Have a gander, may give you some ideas....

3. Woz!

Woz!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    We went (unimaginitively) for magnolia as we wanted a neutral look to our room.
    Beware - light colours are going to compromise your projected image. We get light reflected from the walls onto the screen, which has the effect of washing out bright images on the screen.
    The effect is not too pronounced, but if you are looking for the best possible image on the screen you would need to go for dark non-reflective colours.

Here's our room : http://homepage.ntlworld.com/warren.alexander/ht/ht.html
    It's our living room as well, so we wanted the HT to be extremely discrete and weren't willing to compromise on the room colour.

4. droolinggimp

droolinggimp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    WOZ! what are the measurments for your room... looks a little like my other downstairs room? mines 17" x 10"

5. Woz!

Woz!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I honestly can't remember the dimensions as I'm at work at the moment.
    I think it's something like 11 or 12 accross by 16 or 17 long. That screen is a 7 foot one if that helps scale it a little.

It's an L shape room, so there is a bit not pictured in the web page above but it's used as a dining area.

6. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    If you need to go with light paint due to room asthetics etc then you could go for a mat finish. There are some nice off light paints around at the moment.

Also with regards to the picture frames for the posters you could get non reflective pvc as opposed to glass which should further help with reflections from the projector.

As for the split walls colour i suppose it depends what look you are also going for in that room, if you can get two nice matching paints then the split would look good and maybe also allow for a slightly darker shade on part of the walls.