• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Living room refurb - in wall tv and speakers, WAF

mjbarnard

So this is where we are on day 2 of the build. I will give the rationale and background in a series of posts.
IMG_0406.jpg

I was quite inspired by Dan Cook and this thread
Home Cinema/Lounge in-wall Kef Ci-5160 made a lot difference to me, and I realised there were many similarities such as wall colour, flooring and in wall speakers etc. I wasnt aware of Dulux Denim Drift until I saw it and that is what we are going with. That thread gave me many ideas and I am very grateful to Dan.

It is a living room in a new build (approx 7 years old) house. Although it was modern and up to date when we moved in, we have customised it to our tastes through a series of (smallish) projects. I will cover them in subsequent posts since Dan did that and it seemed ok to the forum to post bathrooms etc.

Since we moved in 4 years ago, we have hardly used the first floor living room. There is good space on ground floor for kitchen/family room and we just never went up to the first floor. After finishing other projects I realised that the living room would double up well as a *tv room*. We have huge settees in there and it could be a relaxing place to watch a big screen. Initially I intended to go with a projector setup (with a lot of useful advice on the forums) but eventually decided to keep it simpler. That was because we would start using it as a living room and the daylight would necessitate blackout blinds, plus the intrusivenss of the screen, the projector and the noise. I was tempted by the epson laser, but it seemed to be phased out and I thought lets keep it as a living room and make it a nice big screen with discreet speakers.

The following schemes show the basic plan.
tvroom3d.jpg
tvwall1.jpg

TV.jpg

Attachments

• TV.jpg
    TV.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 190
  • TV.jpg
    TV.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 177
  • TV.jpg
    TV.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

mjbarnard

The viewing distance is around 6 metres so I needed a television larger than 80 inches. Eventually I decided on the Sony Bravia KD85XF8596. It's not the best television out there but will be replaced one day and the Samsung 85 inch was 15k!
This will be paired with Denon AVR X4500 and Monitor in wall speakers in the front, 4 ceiling atmos speakers and 2 rear on wall picture Monitor speakers.
We are not audiophiles and do not need powerful amplification and speakers. I tried to argue for just a soundbar was persuaded not to! Thats why we have gone with Monitor rather than KEF or Dali which were recommended by forum sponsors.
IMG_0046.JPG

This was the room a short period ago. We are well on the way as you can see from the following.

IMG_0412.jpg

Last edited:

mjbarnard

Before I continue with the AV details I will give some background. I note Dan did this and it was well received despite showing bedrooms and bathrooms in an AV thread. Moderators can remove if against the rules.

We moved into this new build house around 4 years ago. While it was clearly fit for purpose there were a number of areas which we wanted to improve. While new build may be up to date in terms of design and efficiency, they can shall we say lack finesse or quality in a number of areas. I guess thats why they make money.

Its a detached house on a sort of private road.

The garden was non-existent and was overlooked by all nearby properties. Project 1 was to address that.

IMG_0756.JPG
IMG_0757.JPG

So in our first year we planted the garden.
IMG_0079(1).JPG
IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0035.jpg
IMG_0137.JPG

Over the next two years this grew quite substantially.

Attachments

• 67A3E41A-47C5-4923-BEB4-AF89B466AE8A-995-0000010F9819014E.jpeg
    67A3E41A-47C5-4923-BEB4-AF89B466AE8A-995-0000010F9819014E.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 1,615
Last edited:

mjbarnard

The next project was the patio. We replaced the rather inadequate original patio with a limestone custom patio. I spent a long time on the paving forums researching this and was very pleased with the result. The garden was uneven so it needed building up with a brick wall underneath at one end. It took 3 guys 2 weeks to do this.
Before
IMG_0757.JPG
IMG_0758.JPG

After

IMG_0159.JPG
IMG_0161.JPG
IMG_0169.JPG

To be honest this is the favourite thing I have done for the property.

mjbarnard

There were a number of uPVC doors including "french windows" in the property, on all three levels. First we replaced the ground floor doors with folding sliding windows in RAL 7016 which we had used in previous properties. Then we also replaced the flimsy patio cover with a 6m electric awning.

IMG_0760.JPG

Note the patio, the awning and the french doors. We changed that to this:

IMG_0402.JPG

Then we changed the balustrades to glass (as in picture above - we have also changed the top floor since) and the living room doors to single door/windows.

IMG_0422.JPG
IMG_0432.JPG

mjbarnard

The new spotlights are also in. Will put Philips Hue bulbs in, but these are Astro plaster lights. There are two types - for new ceilings and existing ceilings. For existing plasterboard you drill a new hole and insert the fitting. It is made of plaster so can be painted. Then the area around the fitting is made good - so essentially the lights are recessed into the ceiling with no rim apparent. As the ceiling hasnt been made good yet, it wont be completely clear but when finished will look like spots sunk into the ceiling.

IMG_0398.jpg
IMG_0410.jpg
IMG_0411.jpg
IMG_0413.jpg

mjbarnard

The floor will be walnut floating. There will be philips hue lights in the downlights and striplighitng in the upliighters. Cat 6e has been run around the house from the ground floor study where the routers are to the living room. Sky q cables have been reinstalled from the dish on the second floor direct to the living room The various cables and speaker wires are now in place.

IMG_0407.jpg
IMG_0408.jpg

mjbarnard

Following advice on this forum we will be installing a Future Automations bracket PS80. This is apparently a great piece of engineering. It will attach to the 16mm ply at the back of the tv recess. Holes for ventilation will be added to the sides and back of the recess even though there is a 5cm gap around the tv. This bracket will allow easy movement of the 44kg tv and also for it to be exactly level with the wall.

Scooby247

Oh I’m very excited to see how this turns out. Good luck with the build. Which MA speakers did you end up going for?

Scooby247

Fantastic and love what you’ve done with your home. Subscribed!

Question, what speakers are you planing?
Great minds CRB!

mjbarnard

To answer your questions Monitor W280, W250, and SoundFrame 3 plus IWS-10 sub. Monitor C180 x 4 for Atmos. I spent a long time looking at Atmos setup and while originally specified 5.1.2 decided to change to 5.1.4 as advice was that even if the rear atmos couldnt go behind the listener it would still be advantage over 5.1.2

So the full equipment list is:

Sony 85” XF8596 television
Pull out and swivel bracket future automation PS80
Denon AVR 4500 av amplifier
2 x Monitor Audio in wall W280 IDC for left and right speakers
1 x Monitor Audio in wall W250 centre speaker
1 x Monitor Audio IWS-10 subwoofer
1 x In wall sub back box – IWB-10 back box
Matching off board Sub amp IWA 250
2 x Monitor Audio White Sound frame 3 on wall speakers Rears.
2 x Monitor Audio Frameless Fine Art 2 frames: GSF3FA2L / GSF3FA2R
4 x Monitor Audio C180 in ceiling speakers
Sonos connect
Harmony Elite
Amazon echo
Philips Hue lighting
Plus the inevitable various bits and pieces (ethernet switch etc)

Already have Sky Q and amazon.

kristoffdj

How have you attached the plasterboard for the dropped ceiling, around the perimeter of the room? Looks very neat and much less of a faff than the way I normally do it.

I presume there must be some sort of wooden baton attached to the wall, and the plasterboard is screwed into that? Any pics of that, before the plasterboard went on?

kristoffdj

Thanks, I'd be interested to see the size of the baton and how its fixed to the wall.

I've just built this, and I supported it from both the existing ceiling and the wall with what is basically a 3 dimensional wooden frame. Your method looks much simpler if you don't need a large span out into the centre of the room. I have such a requirement in another room.

NH13qa2ujCNiCEHkJ7DslM4Cc-otSWdgyFZZZAs2WZXLSSEAKoejOdvP60ziqaQrpTnidJ-mWOjCIEzoIxOqCEeOBk-7kggkHp8hZxYdEnSKmwCMlsCHEYdAu-fTNV-YDY2y6O1pbRQL_2wCHdVWKxRaXVUpRnY9iOrwX5oEf7EtnGSLWyCbDbgS0R_zKHvykAAYGpF-AxzkSy6dCMqQ0Pl6qbznnwCPfTR9DHSx2KKZ8_W2NjNBbejqcLsWpq1N04kT0pSL6kjD_KSRwDZNNVED4C7vB0W8cgkyDCV2Fn4SmkRxIPkvfep4kRLU5zQnfocnoCZLx5zFjnsTZEjwyfQ4byqqmR8MKnmad5DzBG9H8lrKiQGF_0nGOWyD5PzLZJuxuE7Lit-VhX1YgnrI7GasL15rVpVouJFxyHpZoH6w6ejzS1ZSglPNbBGRTHeI8DwlDneSrJdUBgGf5nb9hETS0b8Vr5xb3kCkGxEGfqEaWISJERwxho_FyRZUczCWNa2I4IYeoGFFkx_xMA9hdIr3Dj_G_nNIgm_f4BmnSVDmytJDZPxj-QOGCJ0RljLuRKO0FtUBggt9B5P7VaQKYxQOzyD-WTdBgLpOZLL-CmAqn-fDmDfhx88nBTBCirq2dLUyPkKAHxD7mGGMW3cytcuG=w1328-h747-no

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom