• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Living Room Project

-Sp-

Standard Member
Well I've finally got started after about 12 months of planning...

My current setup looks something like this

IMG_2122.jpg

IMG_2131.jpg

As you can see it's a bit of a mess and there's a lot of kit in there (and that's after some of it's been moved out temparerily to the network patch cupboard s I'd run out of room, Missing out of this photo is a squeeze box, a DAB tuner, Crestron processor and scart switcher, in the photo you can see Sky HD, spare skybox (used as digital radio), DVD, Media Centre PC, Wii, X360 and Denon AVR 1907, There's also a component video matrix switch wedged down the back of the unit.

We also had ikea DVD shelves floor to celing each side of teh TV unit but my darling 1 year old daughter started pulling the DVD's out and chewing them so they've all been boxed up and put away to keep them safe. we also have to zip tie the cupboard doors shut most of the time to keep her out which really isn't very practical when you've want to put a dvd on.

So the plan is to build a false wall with enough room to store all of the kit out of sight and out of the reach of my little girl.

IMG_2125.jpg

the chimney breast isn't big enough to mount the TV to and it's not in the middle of the room (in fact the right hand side is the middle of the room) so the plan was originally to expand this out but then it's not deep enough to store any of the kit (let alone all of the kit!) so I'm going to build some framwork to hold the TV bracket in the centre of the room, then build 2 kitchen units facing sideways either side of it one to contain the kit the other for general storage (games toys photo albums etc.). Then put a skin of MDF up between the cupboard with a hole cut to pull the TV though and make it flush.

The current speakers are a pair of cheap floor standers I've had for about 8 years and a eltax center (cheap and cheerful richer sounds jobs), rears are £20 quid book selves fixed to the wall. I wanted flush mount speaker in the front to keep as flat as possible and child friendly (as the little one has pulled the floor standers over once or twice which isn't going to do them or her any good). So i've got a pair of B&W LCR7 custom installation speakers for left and right and a B&W CWM Cinema for the centre. for the rears I was going to keep some small bookshelves but as my room is quite narrow and the sofa is pressed back on the wall this doesn't give very good possitioning so with a bit a help from some proffesionals I decided to go for some celing mounted speakers at the rear to keep the back wall nice and clear but also give better positioning.

As I'm going to be redecoating I'm also going to redo the lights as we currently have track lights in the middle of the room that blind you when your sat on the sofa and two lamps either side of the sofa controlled by a dimmer on the floor at one end of teh sofa, really not the most convienent!.

Last edited:

Empwan

Prominent Member
I look forward to seeing what you do...

Also does your 360 still work being so close to a subby ?

Keep the pics coming

-Sp-

Standard Member
The xbox has sat on top of the sub for at least 18 months now and the only probelm I have with it is my daugheter loves to turn it on and off to watch the lights chase round... not what you want mid game !!! I would assume it's magnetally shielded and if not there has to be at least 8" between the drive unit (as it's downwards facing) and the top of the sub so I wouldn't thought you get much of a magnetic field at that kind of distance (not to mention the sub caseing and the xbox chassis)

for the lights I'm going to connect the lamps to the lighting curcit via so round pin plugs and sockets each side of the sofa and then controll it from a 2G dimmer by the sofa with a 2G switch by the door so you can turn the lights on and off as you enter or leave the room.

So the first job was to run the extra cable for the lights and rear speakers as to do this I need to get the floor boards up upstairs I thought I'd run some extra data ponts to the back wall by the sofa and also run 3 cat5's and a twin and earch fromt he equpment position to the centre of the celing just incase I ever decide to get a projector (2 cat 5's for a component or HDMI balun and one for control (RS232)) and the T&E as I can connect it later as a fused spure from the mains riung in the equipment position.

IMG_2124.jpg

light switch

IMG_2127.jpg

speaker cut outs and lights and data cable (the projector cabling is left in the celing above the furthest left hole (above the crow poster), this is as far accross the celing as I can get from above as the back bed room has laminate floor that I'm not pulling up so the rest of the disance accross the room will need to be cut out from below, but I'm going to get the wall dotted and dabbed as it's a bit of a mess with loads of little cracks(especially since Buncefield!)

IMG_2128.jpg

-Sp-

Standard Member
Next up was to clear out the old stuff and build the frame work to support the pull out bracket and TV

IMG_2132.jpg

The guy refleted in the TV is my friend Paul who has helped me with all the carpentry, he's a landscape gardener so has a van full of all the tools.

IMG_2133.jpg

-Sp-

Standard Member
Then we put up the cabenets, squared them up relative to one an other and the TV bracket (as none od the walls are square or plumb... gotta love builders!) and built up the framwork for the MDF round them.

IMG_2134.jpg

IMG_2136.jpg

IMG_2135.jpg

IMG_2137.jpg

final job of the day was to install 3 double sockets in the on the back wall and wire them up so the spark can add them into the ring main when he comes on a week or 2 to do the lights.

newstuart

Established Member
Good work,

My 2 year old is the same with the [email protected]@y button on the xbox and watching the lights go around!

he has just found the edject button and takes great joy in watching the tray gracefully slide out just to giggle and BASH it back in !!

My TV is now as high up as I can manage and all the gear is in the attic !!

KIDS :suicide:

europbaron

Established Member
Looks good. Two questions, however!

1. How are you intending to finish the recess that the TV is in? Are you just going to paint the timber frame as there does not look to be much room to board it out.

2. On a similar vein - will the flush mounted TV get enough ventilation? I've always been wary of doing a similar enclosure due to this, but the look of it appeals! My LCD manual says to leave 10cm all around and 30cm clear at the top.

Good luck with the rest of the project and keep the pics coming!

-Sp-

Standard Member
Looks good. Two questions, however!

1. How are you intending to finish the recess that the TV is in? Are you just going to paint the timber frame as there does not look to be much room to board it out.

2. On a similar vein - will the flush mounted TV get enough ventilation? I've always been wary of doing a similar enclosure due to this, but the look of it appeals! My LCD manual says to leave 10cm all around and 30cm clear at the top.

Good luck with the rest of the project and keep the pics coming!

1. The boards will come up to the edge of the wood with a routed(sp?) edge and then they'll be filled and painted to match in with the front, although you shouldn't be able to see them at all round the TV

2. The whole back of the TV is open and there will be vents cut into the bottom of the cupboard to let the sub sound out and cold air in and also vents at the top on the side to let the hot air out so there shouldn't be any problems.

Where do you get those framed posters from?

Or how do you go about getting posters like that framed?

The frames are from ikea and the posters are from ebay and allposters.com I think there geniune cinema posters but they may well be repoductions, they needed to be trimmed ever so slightly to fit the frames but only by a couple of mm.

Last edited:

Happy Trucker

Established Member
-sp-

Where'd you get your pull out bracket from, and (if you don't mind) how much was it? Also, how far out from the wall does it mount your TV? Or more accurately how deep is the bracket from front to back since how far out the TV comes is largely dependant on the depth of the TV I suppose.

I'm looking at starting a similar sort of build, and really need the TV to start as close to the wall as I can to avoid having to build the false wall too deep.

-Sp-

Standard Member
-sp-

Where'd you get your pull out bracket from, and (if you don't mind) how much was it? Also, how far out from the wall does it mount your TV? Or more accurately how deep is the bracket from front to back since how far out the TV comes is largely dependant on the depth of the TV I suppose.

I'm looking at starting a similar sort of build, and really need the TV to start as close to the wall as I can to avoid having to build the false wall too deep.

It's from Future Automation

http://www.futureautomation.co.uk/newpdfs/wallmounts/ps42tech.pdf

It easily pulls 40cm off the wall (+ the depth of the TV) probably further if you tried hard. I got it direcet from futre (As I work for a reseller) I can't tell you what I paid but I know we retail them at over £400+ VAT

-Sp-

Standard Member
Finally got some pictures of the boards up, The hole's been cut for the centre speaker and I've built a backbox behind it. And I've started on sealing all the cut edges and screw holes

IMG_2194.jpg

IMG_2195.jpg

IMG_2196.jpg

The power lead is only trailer through the front unit the sparky comes and wires up the 3 double sockets in the back of the cupboard (hopefully next weekend)

IMG_2197.jpg

Repton

Established Member
Great work!:thumbsup:
Just a thought, what happens if you wanted a bigger TV, new TV if the old one breaks down?

-Sp-

Standard Member
Great work!:thumbsup:
Just a thought, what happens if you wanted a bigger TV, new TV if the old one breaks down?

I did think long and hard about this, there's no nice way of achiving the flush look without tayloring it specifically to the TV.

I'm really happy with the screen and won't be replacing it unless it breaks down, the viewing possition is only just 3 m away from the TV so anything bigger is just going to be too much for watching eastenders etc, there's cabling in for a projector if the budget ever allows and the screen could simply be fixed to the top of the wall either hidden by a valence or completly boxed in with a letter box opening for the screen on the bottom, (power and control could then easily be dropped back inside the unit.)

If it does break down then the 42" panasonic monitors are slightly narrower width wise and shorter (as they don't have the speakers) so it may require moving the mount a little (which is a pain but doable ) and the just making a space filler at the top or bottom and filling a painting to match.

-Sp-

Standard Member
Since my last update, The spark's been in and sorted all the wireing for the lights rear speakers and data points on the back wall

IMG_2222.jpg

IMG_2224.jpg

Rooms been plastered.

IMG_2225.jpg

IMG_2226.jpg

Painted and final fix from the spark so we have working lamps on the dimmer on the back wall and switch by the door.

IMG_2266.jpg

The unit it's self now has doors and Left and Right speaker cut outs and back boxes, with vents on the rack end for the sub / air flow. It's also has a coat of MDF primer (2 on all the cut edges and screw holes) and about 2 layers of P38 (infact a whole tub of P38) to fill the joins and screw holes.

IMG_2268.jpg

IMG_2269.jpg

IMG_2270.jpg

Just a couple of days painting sanding and filling and it should be ready for the TV and speakers (if there back from the painters) at the weekend.:clap:

Mister Gonzo

Established Member
Looking good SP! :thumbsup: It'll be a nice clean, slick look when it's done.
I wish I'd included somewhere to hide my kit out of view. I don't have kids just yet, but I think they'll be on the scene in the next couple of years at which point I can kiss goodbye to any buttons or volume controls they can reach! I should have learnt my lesson after Uni when a couple of my drunken mates poked their fingers through my speaker cones :eek:

k.jacko

Established Member
Looking good mate.
But, how long is your room, as that false cab seems pretty deep and the perception is that your room.....isn't!
I'm probably wrong as you said you view the tv from 3m away, it just looks a little cramped.

What was your network cabling on the back wall for btw?

-Sp-

Standard Member
The Rooms about 6.60m by 3.5m and the unit is a little over about 62cm deep Brearing in mind the front of the screen is flush with the unit it actually takes up less depth than the previose unit.

At first it did feel a bit big for the room but now it's painted it actually makes the room feel a lot bigger especially as we've now re arranged the furnature to occupy the room more centrally than it did before.

There's lots of photo's to add as it;s almost finished now I'll try and get them posted over the weekend.

The network cables are links accross to my main hub there for data/ internet and also to be used with baluns for audio video. for cresnet from the crestron and IR/ communication with variouse local amps, tvs, relays, door bell etc round the house. They should be futre proof but I swear There's not enough!!!

-Sp-

Standard Member
Here are the last couple of weeks work of photos;

Painted, MDF primer, spirit based under coat, 2 coats white emulsion, 2 coats color. with countless p38's and sanding down in between

IMG_2273.jpg

IMG_2274.jpg

Cables nice and tidy on the TV... unfortunatly the Scart to S cable in the middle fouls the bracket so had to come out at the last minute.

IMG_2275.jpg

TV Hung... that's me in the corner, the cable hanging down the front is the dinkey link IR pick up to be mounted in the center speaker

IMG_2284.jpg

IMG_2295.jpg

Then the fun bit the cabling in the rack... basically all the power goes down the left side and everything else is tided down the right side with the cables for each self presented at that shelf and long enough that you can pull tghe equipment forward enough to connect it and then push it back into place. it gets a bit complicated as there component video and analouge and digital auido plus compsite for distribution round the house from most sources plus network, araial, satalite feeds and IR from the dinky link and or crestron to most shelves..

Here's wire wireing sceamatic although I didn't include a few things like the wii sensor bar and the ir distribution that came back to bite me half way through....

Wireing001.jpg

IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2297.jpg

and from the back.. RF/Sat distribution on the right which didn't end up as tidy as I would have liked..

IMG_2298.jpg

IMG_2299.jpg

IMG_2300.jpg

Then on to the speakers... lovingly painted to match the skirting by a friend of mine... only took about 3 months but the finsih is spot on so I can't complain...

IMG_2302.jpg

and the back boxes lined with carpet underlay and filled with fiber glass cavity wall insutation..

IMG_2301.jpg

imjay

Established Member
The room will look very nice.

May I suggest that you consider in future addition of a motorized or manual pull down LARGE screen and addition of a front projector?

The wonderful frame/wall you built as a tv mount would serve very well also as backboard for a Cinema in the Home sized screen.

Our living room area does the dual-role very well (not as pretty as yours). We enjoy our 56in TV but sometimes you want that feel of being at the Cinema which today's televisions just can't provide.

Your set up and tv wall looked so perfect for a Cinema experience I thought you wouldn't mind the suggestion - we tend to be conservative with our cash but are so glad we took the step up to a Home Cinema visual experience.

Give it a thought!

-Sp-

Standard Member
The room will look very nice.

May I suggest that you consider in future addition of a motorized or manual pull down LARGE screen and addition of a front projector?

The wonderful frame/wall you built as a tv mount would serve very well also as backboard for a Cinema in the Home sized screen.

Our living room area does the dual-role very well (not as pretty as yours). We enjoy our 56in TV but sometimes you want that feel of being at the Cinema which today's televisions just can't provide.

Your set up and tv wall looked so perfect for a Cinema experience I thought you wouldn't mind the suggestion - we tend to be conservative with our cash but are so glad we took the step up to a Home Cinema visual experience.

Give it a thought!

I think it was mentioned in one of the earlier posts but the provision is there for a projector, all the cable is in the celing at the back just waiting for a hole to be cut and a back box fitted. the plan is then for a moterised screen to be fitted to the fron of the unit as it is now with a valane created around/ in front of it painted to match. This is however a long way off as before I can consider it I need to get new black out cutains fitted at both ends of the room (over the bay window and the french doors) and the get the carpet replaced (as it's ruined cheap carpet and toddlers really don't mix) and maybe a new sofa just to pacify the wife. more photos very soon... speaker are all in as is most of the kit just need to take some pics.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom